atlanta braves

mataipaepae

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/brav...ation-help.html

Braves Seeking Front-Line Starting Pitcher

By Steve Adams [July 26, 2013 at 12:15pm CST]

FRIDAY: The Braves are more focused on front-line starting pitchers such as Jake Peavy and Ervin Santana than they are on Norris, writes Mark Bowman of MLB.com. Peavy's 118-pitch outing yesterday, which was scouted by the Braves, helped to quell some of the hesitation surrounding his health, Bowman adds. The Braves aren't interested in Yovani Gallardo, according to Bowman, but they may contact the Brewers regarding Kyle Lohse's availability.

I would be intrigued by a package that would start with Kris Medlan. The guy kind of has fallen out of favor. He has put solid K/9 numbers in the past. If you could take him on with a few mid level prospects that would be an intriguing package.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
Anyone think they would be willing to give up early on Heyward?

If they had adequate replacements they might, but their outfield is a mess. Both Uptons are injured and sucky this year. I think they need Heyward out there, trading him just creates another hole.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
I would be intrigued by a package that would start with Kris Medlan. The guy kind of has fallen out of favor. He has put solid K/9 numbers in the past. If you could take him on with a few mid level prospects that would be an intriguing package.

Medlen is in their rotation now, it would make zero sense to trade him for Peavy. That doesn't solve the problem.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
Anyone think they would be willing to give up early on Heyward?

I don't. If they did, it would be for a guy like David Price who they planned on being around for many years. As good as Peavy is, he doesn't have the same kind of long-term value.

If they just trade for a fill in, a guy like Axelrod is going to make way, way more sense for them, and if they are going to do that, they may as well just trade for a veteran #4-5 with an expiring deal. With Axelrod, you are also paying for future service time, even if you have no intentions of keeping him long-term.

Ted Lilly was just DFA'd and once he clears waivers, I'm sure Atlanta will consider him too.

If they just trade for a fill in, a guy like Axelrod is going to make way, way more sense for them, and if they are going to do that, they may as well just trade for a veteran #4-5 with an expiring deal. With Axelrod, you are also paying for future service time, even if you have no intentions of keeping him long-term.

Ted Lilly was just DFA'd and once he clears waivers, I'm sure Atlanta will consider him too.

If the Sox think any team might be interested in Lilly, they should claim him first and then work out a trade.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
I don't. If they did, it would be for a guy like David Price who they planned on being around for many years. As good as Peavy is, he doesn't have the same kind of long-term value.

Interesting. Thanks.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
I mean, what do I know though? :P

Well, not being a Braves fan, I don't see Heyward often. I know his star has dimmed a bit, but I remember hearing that he was the second coming of Wily Mays a few years ago. Now that I look at his numbers, they look frighteningly similar to Viciedo's.

Jason brought up a good point with the service time.

It's tough to gauge the guy's value, especially considering he will just turn 24 in a few weeks.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
A lot of scouts still like Heyward and think his problems are all mechanical. I think he would be a great change of scenery pick up for any team. With that being said, I doubt ATL's willingness to trade him. Especially during this season.

The question is whether a "change of scenery" guy is enough of a return for the guys the White Sox have to sell, particularly since he's already had some injury problems.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
The question is whether a "change of scenery" guy is enough of a return for the guys the White Sox have to sell, particularly since he's already had some injury problems.

Yea, seems like too much of a gamble. Even if we turn him into a superstar our only reward is then getting to pay him like one or lose him. Like someone else said, we minimize our risk at least slightly by acquiring max service time players.

But if he's the guy then he's the guy and I'll go down with the ship!

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)
Yea, seems like too much of a gamble. Even if we turn him into a superstar our only reward is then getting to pay him like one or lose him. Like someone else said, we minimize our risk at least slightly by acquiring max service time players.

But if he's the guy then he's the guy and I'll go down with the ship!

For all we know, the front office's thinking could be as simple as..."His hitting coach is Greg Walker...get him away from Greg Walker..."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
For all we know, the front office's thinking could be as simple as..."His hitting coach is Greg Walker...get him away from Greg Walker..."

Ha!

Honestly, I have no problem with it if it's for lesser players (Heyward won't be one of them during the season, BTW, because he is too valuable to that team at the moment), but I don't want to see a Jesus Montero, whose stock is down, be the centerpiece of a deal for Rios or Peavy. He can, however, be a #2 piece in such a deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
Ha!

Honestly, I have no problem with it if it's for lesser players (Heyward won't be one of them during the season, BTW, because he is too valuable to that team at the moment), but I don't want to see a Jesus Montero, whose stock is down, be the centerpiece of a deal for Rios or Peavy. He can, however, be a #2 piece in such a deal.

oh I don't know, now it is just getting to complicated.