ARod suspended for entire 2014 season

Balta1701

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
According to ESPN's T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish, Major League Baseball is "expected to suspend [Ryan] Braun and [Alex] Rodriguez, along with as many as 20 players sometime after next week's All-Star break."

MLB investigators began digging into the Biogenesis records last month with the cooperation of the clinic's founder, Anthony Bosch, and are ready to announce suspensions now that cases have been built against the players who are suspected of purchasing PEDs from Bosch and his associates. Those sentences will of course be appealed, and the process of reviewing those appeals could take a while. Braun refused to answer some questions during MLB's investigation and could face a 100-game suspension. A-Rod might also get 100 games. This is happening.

I hope the union shoves it up MLB's ass in this whole case.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Detroits Peralta is suspended for 50 games and accepts it, would he not be back in time for the playoffs?

If Peralta appeals the suspension could that place him injeopardy of being on the playoff roster?

Maybe this is actually pretty good timing for the Sox as far as making deals.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
Am I misreading your comment or do you not want these guys suspended?

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, but it wouldn't bother me in the least if these suspensions got overturned. Baseball helped create this steroid monster 20 years ago and now suddenly they are running this witch hunt and blackmailing people to try and show that times have changed. Seeing Bud Selig lose again would amuse me.

I don't feel bad for any of these guys. I wish steroids would be made legal, but so long as they are not, it isn't fair. You can't expect players to potentially become criminals just to catch up with the other guys. Just letting it continue on where some guys can juice and others cannot isn't fair. The more guys they bust, the better.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 06:30 PM)
I don't feel bad for any of these guys. I wish steroids would be made legal, but so long as they are not, it isn't fair. You can't expect players to potentially become criminals just to catch up with the other guys. Just letting it continue on where some guys can juice and others cannot isn't fair. The more guys they bust, the better.

No way do I want it legal. Your line about players not becoming criminals to catch up...almost same thing if it was legal, they'd have to use to catch up when many wouldn't want to, and damage their bodies, etc to do so. There needs to be an even playing field, punish the cheaters, don't force everyone else to use, which is essentially what you'd be doing.

I think steroid use should be regulated like plastic surgery is. You'd have to see a medical professional to do it. Steroids aren't necessarily dangerous if you use correctly (which is less likely when you can't have medical supervision, sterility of syringes, non-black market drugs)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
I think steroid use should be regulated like plastic surgery is. You'd have to see a medical professional to do it. Steroids aren't necessarily dangerous if you use correctly (which is less likely when you can't have medical supervision, sterility of syringes, non-black market drugs)

Just what every parent wants...little Timmy has a great baseball skills, and if he's really good, someday he'll get medically supervised steroids. That's just great.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
Just what every parent wants...little Timmy has a great baseball skills, and if he's really good, someday he'll get medically supervised steroids. That's just great.

Or in today's society, you have crazy parents trying to get little Timmy medically supervised steroids so he can earn a scholarship to college and maybe go pro.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
Or in today's society, you have crazy parents trying to get little Timmy medically supervised steroids so he can earn a scholarship to college and maybe go pro.

Unfortunately that exists too.

I just don't understand the "entertain me" mentality. If everyone had to take steroids to get to the big leagues, then it's just pro wrestling. It would kill the sport because I think most people want it clean, and we're smarter than in 1998. If it's just known that everyone is juiced, that's it for baseball.

Anyway, steroids in baseball and steroids in life are two different things. I don't know if I like steroids in baseball, but if a guy wants to get jacked then I don't see the harm in it. It's much worse when a guy goes to prison for using steroids and nobody bats an eye, like that is a good thing and he deserves it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 07:33 PM)
Unfortunately that exists too.

I just don't understand the "entertain me" mentality. If everyone had to take steroids to get to the big leagues, then it's just pro wrestling. It would kill the sport because I think most people want it clean, and we're smarter than in 1998. If it's just known that everyone is juiced, that's it for baseball.

It hasn't hurt the NFL. I really wonder if they came up with a test tomorrow that absolutely could not be fooled, and every MLB player had to supply a sample, if there would be enough players to complete the season.

And don't forget, most MLB players were on greenies for years, and while they won't enhance you like steroids, they do help you a bit during the long season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 08:27 PM)

There has never been any sort of science done showing that large doses of "medically supervised steroids" are somehow safe.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 07:53 PM)
There has never been any sort of science done showing that large doses of "medically supervised steroids" are somehow safe.

I never said they were, but I don't think that would stop all parents. Little Timmy can get a free ride and earn millions in MLB or NFL, let's ignore those potential health risks.

Anyway, steroids in baseball and steroids in life are two different things. I don't know if I like steroids in baseball, but if a guy wants to get jacked then I don't see the harm in it. It's much worse when a guy goes to prison for using steroids and nobody bats an eye, like that is a good thing and he deserves it.

The harm in some random guy getting all jacked is that he ends up killing you over something trivial because of 'roid rage.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/wein..._medium=twitter

Weiner: Biogenesis Suspensions Unlikely For 2013

By Zach Links [July 16, 2013 at 12:12pm CST]

MLBPA executive directior Michael Weiner told reporters, including Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times (on Twitter), that it is unlikely that any suspensions relating to the Biogenesis scandal will be announced this week. He expects discussions to take place between the union and the commissioner's office within the next month with appeal hearings getting underway "as soon as September" (Twitter links).

Weiner says that suspensions are subject to negotiations with the league office and without an agreement between the two parties, it's unlikely that players will miss time in the 2013 season, tweets Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com. The MLBPA added that 50-game suspensions may not apply to non-analytical positive results with the length of suspension open for discussion, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports tweets.

On a non-Biogenesis note, Weiner opined that the current schedule "sucks" and said that it will be a big topic in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement, Knobler tweets. The current CBA will be in effect until December 1st, 2016.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
Danny Knobler ‏@DannyKnoblerCBS 31m

Weiner says players in Biogenesis not bound by penalties in basic agreement. "In theory, they could be suspended for 5 games or 500."

That makes sense. They haven't tested positive, they have just been ratted out by their drug dealer.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
I had hoped it would make the trade market more volatile. Too bad.

Cruz and/or Peralta getting suspended definitely could have helped the Sox trade potential. Even maybe A-Rod for that matter.

Edited by LittleHurt05