ARod suspended for entire 2014 season

Balta1701

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 1h

Sources: Info from minor leaguers could provide strong corroboration of Tony Bosch's story -- and they're talking: http://yhoo.it/17FFg6p

This is like a witch hunt. I have a funny feeling this is not gonna end well for MLB.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 07:29 AM)
This is like a witch hunt. I have a funny feeling this is not gonna end well for MLB.

The damage is already done. The first thing that should have been done was Selig's resignation for looking the other way, therefore allowing Congress to get involved.

The next generation of sports writers will put probably some of the dopes in the Hall. Mark McGwire despite admitting to cheating will probably get in because some forgive for being honest when the act wasn't honest in the first place.

There is reason to believe that this was leaked to publicly shame because they don't have a case. On the other hand, I truly don't mind if they bust them all. Some people think that this is unfair or overblown, but I don't. So long as some people get this opportunity to dope and others don't, it's bulls***. It's not like saying that one guy has a better trainer or workout program or whatever else, this is expecting players to break the law to catch up to the dopers. Not okay with me.

I tend to think the legalization and restriction of steroids could help to kill the illegal market, but the anti-steroid PR campaign will make that impossible. You could have doctors supervise use, not unlike someone seeing a plastic surgeon or something for superfluous medical procedures. You can still get testosterone replacement therapy, but those aren't as powerful as illegal steroids and I doubt the MLB allows for that anyway.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
The damage is already done. The first thing that should have been done was Selig's resignation for looking the other way, therefore allowing Congress to get involved.

The next generation of sports writers will put probably some of the dopes in the Hall. Mark McGwire despite admitting to cheating will probably get in because some forgive for being honest when the act wasn't honest in the first place.

MLB deserves everything they get for ignoring the problem for so long.

A previously elusive figure in the Biogenesis performance-enhancing drug scandal has spoken out, saying clinic founder Anthony Bosch visited Alex Rodriguez during last year's American League Championship Series after the New York Yankees slugger sought his help amid a 1-for-9 slump.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id...esis-crony-says

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
A previously elusive figure in the Biogenesis performance-enhancing drug scandal has spoken out, saying clinic founder Anthony Bosch visited Alex Rodriguez during last year's American League Championship Series after the New York Yankees slugger sought his help amid a 1-for-9 slump.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id...esis-crony-says

So MLB is paying people for information? I don't care if ARod gets in trouble, but something doesn't seem right about that. And it could make it tougher to prove when the union appeals any suspension.

So MLB is paying people for information? I don't care if ARod gets in trouble, but something doesn't seem right about that. And it could make it tougher to prove when the union appeals any suspension.

It's pretty standard practice:

• 3 weeks later...

According to ESPN's T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish, Major League Baseball is "expected to suspend [Ryan] Braun and [Alex] Rodriguez, along with as many as 20 players sometime after next week's All-Star break."

MLB investigators began digging into the Biogenesis records last month with the cooperation of the clinic's founder, Anthony Bosch, and are ready to announce suspensions now that cases have been built against the players who are suspected of purchasing PEDs from Bosch and his associates. Those sentences will of course be appealed, and the process of reviewing those appeals could take a while. Braun refused to answer some questions during MLB's investigation and could face a 100-game suspension. A-Rod might also get 100 games. This is happening.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
Delaying these suspensions is going to dick up the trade market for us!!!!

i got excited thinking some package to detroit of alexei+ for avisail garcia but then i saw that there will be those lengthy appeals :(

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)

Frank Thomas, Griffey, Jr., Thome and Omar Vizquel. That's it, for the HOF, in terms of the last generation of ballplayers (non-pitchers).

Everyone else is tainted.

No way someone like Mike Piazza makes it now.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
Delaying these suspensions is going to dick up the trade market for us!!!!

Or it's going to create a last minute wave of demand for Crain, Peavy, Alexei, Dunn, Danks and Rios.

There are definitely two ways of looking at it.

We should get our AL Central title back because Peralta was doping!!!!!

At any rate, we can deal Peavy to the A's now, with Bartolo Colon going down (we might have to eat some salary because of their payroll restrictions, but that would get us better prospects back in return)...

I don't want to trade Alexei Ramirez to the Tigers. Crain would be okay, though...for Garcia. Don't want Andy Dirks....he's more of a 4th OF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:37 PM)
I don't want to trade Alexei Ramirez to the Tigers. Crain would be okay, though...for Garcia. Don't want Andy Dirks....he's more of a 4th OF.

Plain and simple, when you go into rebuilding mode, it doesn't matter who you're dealing business with...you get the best package possible back. I highly doubt Alexei will be a huge difference maker in a few years when the Sox are looking to compete again. I bet the Cubs are happy they traded within their division and got Wood and others for Marshall.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
Plain and simple, when you go into rebuilding mode, it doesn't matter who you're dealing business with...you get the best package possible back. I highly doubt Alexei will be a huge difference maker in a few years when the Sox are looking to compete again. I bet the Cubs are happy they traded within their division and got Wood and others for Marshall.

Peralta has a $6 million club option, 500K buyout for 2014. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do if he's suspended for 100 games and they have to replace him on the fly with someone better than Ramon Santiago.

And Infante's contract is expiring.

If I were the Tigers, in "win now" mode as always these days, I'd trade for Ramirez and move Peralta to 2B.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)
Peralta has a $6 million club option, 500K buyout for 2014. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do if he's suspended for 100 games and they have to replace him on the fly with someone better than Ramon Santiago.

And Infante's contract is expiring.

If I were the Tigers, in "win now" mode as always these days, I'd trade for Ramirez and move Peralta to 2B.

Exactly, so why not take advantage of a team that's desperate?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
Exactly, so why not take advantage of a team that's desperate?

Misread it. Both Peralta and Infante have expiring contracts. No options for 2014 (club, mutual, player).

So they desperately need a SS if Peralta goes down. They're not going to play Santiago everyday...and go into the playoffs with that plan.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:32 PM)
Frank Thomas, Griffey, Jr., Thome and Omar Vizquel. That's it, for the HOF, in terms of the last generation of ballplayers (non-pitchers).

No way someone like Mike Piazza makes it now.

And all 4 played for the Sox.

So did ManRam, but still.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:32 PM)

The sad thing is there's no way to ever know with anyone. It's all speculation, and I guarantee there are fans of other teams that think some of the guys you mentioned were users.

There is an oft-told story where Bonds approaches Griffey at Griffey's home (they were having dinner) frustrated about 'roiders getting all the notoriety. Bonds says he's going to join the juicer club as he's been overlooked...but things get awkward. Griffey has just won an MVP and is quite happy with his current reputation and thinks the juicers will eventually be caught, ruining their reputations.

Hard to say whether this exchange happened or if it happened that way, but some Bonds biographers say it did. I think Griffey was clean. He was pretty much useless after age 30, which makes sense for a guy that played the 9 years prior on AstroTurf and lacked the drugs to make himself better.

The Big Hurt will always get a bit more speculation because he's huge, but the way he acted was about as anti-steroid as you can be. He was basically breaking the oath of silence during his playing days because he didn't like losing the limelight to 'roiders either. Big Frank also has the positive of being a huge SOB his entire life, not a mid-20s suddenly-become-gigantic transformation.

Frank and Griffey had similar body trajectories where they continually got fatter and slower as time went on, especially as injuries piled up (though we know Frank was quite a bit healthier than Griffey)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
There is an oft-told story where Bonds approaches Griffey at Griffey's home (they were having dinner) frustrated about 'roiders getting all the notoriety. Bonds says he's going to join the juicer club as he's been overlooked...but things get awkward. Griffey has just won an MVP and is quite happy with his current reputation and thinks the juicers will eventually be caught, ruining their reputations.

Hard to say whether this exchange happened or if it happened that way, but some Bonds biographers say it did. I think Griffey was clean. He was pretty much useless after age 30, which makes sense for a guy that played the 9 years prior on AstroTurf and lacked the drugs to make himself better.

The Big Hurt will always get a bit more speculation because he's huge, but the way he acted was about as anti-steroid as you can be. He was basically breaking the oath of silence during his playing days because he didn't like losing the limelight to 'roiders either. Big Frank also has the positive of being a huge SOB his entire life, not a mid-20s suddenly-become-gigantic transformation.

Frank and Griffey had similar body trajectories where they continually got fatter and slower as time went on, especially as injuries piled up (though we know Frank was quite a bit healthier than Griffey)

If you look at Thome video from his rookie year, he's about the same size as Pronk Hafner now.