Who is Leury Garcia?

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (BPK @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
Yeah, he's definitely still a kid, and I would play him at SS over anyone else at any level of the organization if/when he grows up. But he is a long, long way from being able to mentally handle the major leagues while also keeping himself under control.

You've now posted twice in a way that seems to indicate you have some information about him that others do not. Care to expound?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be hard to believe that he won't get a ton of reps at SS, considering that his best chance to contribute is defensively. Semien is the best hitter of the trio, and if his bat is ready next year, he'll likely have a shot to contribute at 3B.

That said, if the guy is going to be pegged as a defense guy, he could certainly maximize that value by being able to play multiple positions. Perhaps it COULD be a situation where he finds himself in a different one each night or week. Could be some major lineup-shuffling in Charlotte.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 07:41 AM)
You've now posted twice in a way that seems to indicate you have some information about him that others do not. Care to expound?

I've just seen quite a bit of him, and I've been around him a little bit off the field. He's a very nice kid, and he seems to have good intentions, but he's also emotional and he wears those emotions on his sleeve in ways that get in his own way (e.g., showing up umpires and letting one bad or unsuccessful at-bat undermine his approach to the next two or three). I'm also not sure how well he digests the guidance the Rangers tried to give him.

But - again - I take as much solace in his youth as the next guy on this board. If he matures even a little bit (like many people do at that age) he can be really good. I probably think he can hit more than most if his approach to things improves, and he's a very valuable SS (or CF...) if that happens.

From a BP feature today: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=21529

White Sox Triple-A SS Leury Garcia: “I'm a huge fan of the way he plays the game and think he is a great acquisition for the White Sox. He's got well above average speed and range and a 60 or 65 arm, and he has played all over the infield and outfield this season. He's got a long way to go with the bat, but given that he has barely 650 plate appearances in Double-A and Triple-A combined and he's 22 years old, he's more than holding his own. His floor is a Swiss Army utility player who can play solid defense all over the place, and if he hits he can be a solid everyday shortstop.”

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)

I still really, really like Garcia and I don't think the Eduardo Escobar comparisons do him justice because he's a better player than that. I think, ceiling wise, you are looking at a 3-4 win player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
I still really, really like Garcia and I don't think the Eduardo Escobar comparisons do him justice because he's a better player than that. I think, ceiling wise, you are looking at a 3-4 win player.

Whoa.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
Whoa.

So long as reports of his defense are correct, he can get you at least 1 win there. Simply by being a shortstop, he gets you another 1.75 wins. Then if we assume smart and effective baserunning, and a .675-.700 OPS, you are quite quickly approaching about 3.5 wins.

The biggest concern is the defense. If he can show range and consistency with the glove, he's going to play a lot. If he's merely average or has mental lapses in the field (both with errors and getting to balls), he's going to be Eduardo Escobar.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
So long as reports of his defense are correct, he can get you at least 1 win there. Simply by being a shortstop, he gets you another 1.75 wins. Then if we assume smart and effective baserunning, and a .675-.700 OPS, and you are quite quickly approaching about 3.5 wins.

This is the format that Elvis Andrus uses, for example.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
Andrelton Simmons ALREADY has 3 WAR this year with a .283 wOBA. He is going to be freakin good

That dude is ridiculous in the field. I don't even bother comparing Garcia with him because Simmons is on a planet with guys like Ozzie Smith for now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
That dude is ridiculous in the field. I don't even bother comparing Garcia with him because Simmons is on a planet with guys like Ozzie Smith for now.

Right but there are still like 40 games. So if Garcia just hits like Simmons, he'll be a 3 win player.

EDIT: which is 240/284/360

Edited by Eminor3rd

I have serious concerns that he will struggle to hit much better than .200, with almost no power. And he doesn't walk a whole bunch. So I am still thinking his likely end game is a utility guy - and he'd be good for that role.

I hope I'm wrong of course. And he is still just 22, so he can certainly stay in AAA another year and maybe the bat will develop further.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
Right but there are still like 40 games. So if Garcia just hits like Simmons, he'll be a 3 win player.

EDIT: which is 240/284/360

Thing is, Simmons put up .300/.350/.400 in the minors, and he really doesn't strike out, and he's at a 1.7 LD+GB/FB, so that .241 BABIP is totally unsustainable. And he's 23.

If that defense is for real, and he lucks his way into a .330 average or something, he could be an MVP candidate. It's the same thing with Iglesias, except that Simmons is way better than that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
I have serious concerns that he will struggle to hit much better than .200, with almost no power. And he doesn't walk a whole bunch. So I am still thinking his likely end game is a utility guy - and he'd be good for that role.

I hope I'm wrong of course. And he is still just 22, so he can certainly stay in AAA another year and maybe the bat will develop further.

Not much better than .200? His career batting average in the minors is .261, and that's with a .225 BA in his first 405 at bats in the US at the ages of 17 and 18. If cough those years up to transitionary periods, his career average in the minors jumps to .271, and he hit .292 last year.

The biggest key with Garcia will be keeping his K rate below 20%. If he can stick around 18% or so, he'll be fine. The 25.8% he's at this year is a much graver concern.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Not much better than .200? His career batting average in the minors is .261, and that's with a .225 BA in his first 405 at bats in the US at the ages of 17 and 18. If cough those years up to transitionary periods, his career average in the minors jumps to .271, and he hit .292 last year.

The biggest key with Garcia will be keeping his K rate below 20%. If he can stick around 18% or so, he'll be fine. The 25.8% he's at this year is a much graver concern.

Those K's are my big concern, and why I think he can't sustain his minor league BA's... yet. And his appearance in the majors, albeit brief, was not encouraging.

I think right now, he can be a solid and useful utility player... but I think, if you want him to be able to start later, you keep him in AAA next season. Just my view.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
Those K's are my big concern, and why I think he can't sustain his minor league BA's... yet. And his appearance in the majors, albeit brief, was not encouraging.

I think right now, he can be a solid and useful utility player... but I think, if you want him to be able to start later, you keep him in AAA next season. Just my view.

At the very least, this year, he needs to play every day in Charlotte and then bring him up and play him a bit down the stretch. He needs to play winter ball in a big way. Evaluate where he his next spring. If they trade Alexei this offseason, which wouldn't be a bad idea, then you can just have a competition within camp for the position.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
At the very least, this year, he needs to play every day in Charlotte and then bring him up and play him a bit down the stretch. He needs to play winter ball in a big way. Evaluate where he his next spring. If they trade Alexei this offseason, which wouldn't be a bad idea, then you can just have a competition within camp for the position.

If Alexei is traded in the offseason, then Garcia better hit .450 in camp while Semien hits .100 for Garcia to get the job. He'd have to be head and shoulders better than Semien to get it.

Garcia in AAA next year while Semien gets a trial at SS isn't the worst thing. If long term they both develop then 3b or 2b could be options for Marcus.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
If Alexei is traded in the offseason, then Garcia better hit .450 in camp while Semien hits .100 for Garcia to get the job. He'd have to be head and shoulders better than Semien to get it.

Garcia in AAA next year while Semien gets a trial at SS isn't the worst thing. If long term they both develop then 3b or 2b could be options for Marcus.

I agree. Semien seems to be decent at SS, maybe even above average, depending on who you read. Slightly better at 2B, and can play 3B. But Semien gives me far more confidence as a hitter, and his game just seems much more polished. I like you plan.