Avisail Garcia is the truth.

Steve9347

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
I don't see how Borchard is a bad comparison. They're both elite athletically and big guys. Borchard had more power and hit from both sides while Garcia has a much better hit tool and is probably faster.

Strikeouts, First season in AA:

Borchard 158

Garcia 95

Borchard was a strikeout machine.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
I don't see how Borchard is a bad comparison.

Because of this

Borchard had more power and hit from both sides while Garcia has a much better hit tool and is probably faster.

I don't see how Borchard is a bad comparison. They're both elite athletically and big guys. Borchard had more power and hit from both sides while Garcia has a much better hit tool and is probably faster.

Borchard never had a hit or speed tool.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
Borchard could fly for a guy his size.

They're both big guys that are really athletic with some dominant tools. Bouchard flamed out, but it's still not a crazy comparison.

A better comparison to current players for Borchard would be Crush Davis.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
Borchard could fly for a guy his size.

They're both big guys that are really athletic with some dominant tools. Bouchard flamed out, but it's still not a crazy comparison.

No where near Garcia's speed tool. The ratings I can find look 50 to 55.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
I like Juan Encarnacion as a realist but hope for a Rios/Magglio hybrid.

I really want to hope that Encarnacion is on the lower end of the spectrum, but I can't. That's not to say Encarnacion was a bad player by any stretch, and those numbers would play really well in today's game, but it's not the sexy .850-.900 OPS people want.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
Pre-roids Maggs had great gap power. Garcia hits alot like him and has more athleticism.

I think he started them in the minors, Right after his AA season. He wasn't much of a prospect in the low minors just moved at a regular pace. He exploded in AAA.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 05:07 AM)
Avisail has been extremely fun to watch. There's no doubt that if he continues to grow, we could have a monster on our hands.

How could Detroit trade that guy? They must have given up on him like some of us have wanted to give up on Tank. Garcia just looks like a monster, like you say. He's so fast it's amazing. I mean, he actually may have scored from first base had they sent him on the hit and run single. Kudos to Hahn if he held out for Garcia in that trade. I mean that's one of our rebuilding holes filled apparently. 1/9 of the everyday lineup is fixed. Now we just have to fix 3B, 1B, C, LF (unless this is the real Dayan), CF (DeAza is rapidly falling near .250 again) and DH (unless this is the real Dunn).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
How could Detroit trade that guy? They must have given up on him like some of us have wanted to give up on Tank. Garcia just looks like a monster, like you say. He's so fast it's amazing. I mean, he actually may have scored from first base had they sent him on the hit and run single. Kudos to Hahn if he held out for Garcia in that trade. I mean that's one of our rebuilding holes filled apparently. 1/9 of the everyday lineup is fixed. Now we just have to fix 3B, 1B, C, LF (unless this is the real Dayan), CF (DeAza is rapidly falling near .250 again) and DH (unless this is the real Dunn).

Their SS was getting a 50 game suspension and they were desperate.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
I guess it's relevant to this thread, is anyone else disappointed about the prospects we received from the Red Sox? I mean Montas has a big arm and control issues so he's a wild card but the other two? eh

What strikes me is that the Tigers gave up Garcia AND a relief pitcher for Iglesias. It's hard to believe that they had to throw in extra. I would have thought that the reliever should have come to us (don't know if we liked him in particular, but his value seemed like it should have come to us). But I guess Hahn finally got someone to offer up an impact prospect he liked, so he jumped on it, understandably. I didn't think we'd get an A prospect for him and we did, so I'm satisfied.

I would suggest that we start talking to the Orioles. They seem to give up solid prospects for mediocre starting pitchers. And send the relievers to Arizona - they give up starters for middle relief.

Detroit might see Iglesias as an impact player for them. He's a top notch defender on a team whose left side defense is otherwise bottom-notch.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
No it isn't. Wil Myers is a much higher rated prospect than Garcia.

The recency of Myers and Segura are a reason why no A prospects were exchanged at the deadline. Hahn found an A- he liked and perhaps graded as an A so that's good.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
Where did Garcia peak on the top 100 list?

He was the #74 prospect on Baseball America's 2013 preseason list. That's the highest he ever got on that list and he no longer will qualify for future lists because of service time.