Fantasy football advice thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
No, Run DMc was the other option. I have Mathews. He'll be great there.

Giant reach in round 3. Maybe he'll have more tds than broken collarbones this year...

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
RB Andre Brown of the Giants just broke his leg. Hope no one drafted him.

Wow. Makes David Wilson waaaaay more valuable. Excellent.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 09:48 PM)
Giant reach in round 3. Maybe he'll have more tds than broken collarbones this year...

Wow. Makes David Wilson waaaaay more valuable. Excellent.

Somebody read ESPN's profile of him.

Wilson just added some touchdowns to his season.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 09:48 PM)

It's about building a team, not worrying about what round you get guys in - clearly I'm not lacking in any position.

Well I had to miss the draft and had the league manager's dad draft in my place with some guidelines, here's what I ended up with:

12 team league

QB: Wilson

RB1: Rice

RB2: Miller

WR1: Amendola

WR2: Boldin

TE: jimmy Graham

Flex: MJD

D/ST: Tampa (lol, this will change weekly)

K: Phil Dawson

Bench: Ballard, Moore, Roethlisberger, Broyles, Sidney Rice

Probably better than I would have done on my own!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
It's about building a team, not worrying about what round you get guys in - clearly I'm not lacking in any position.

Well, it is about what round you get guys in since he may have been there in Round 4 or 5. Plus, it's Ryan Mathews. He went 30-something to you when his average ADP is like 65.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
Well, it is about what round you get guys in since he may have been there in Round 4 or 5. Plus, it's Ryan Mathews. He went 30-something to you when his average ADP is like 65.

There's no chance in f*** all he was getting back to me at the end of round 5 (the best RB available at that point wound up being Chris Ivory). I knew I was taking Matt Stafford in round 4, because f*** if I wasn't getting Matt Stafford this year.

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1...86/draftresults

It's about building a team, seeing what's available, and taking what you want. Ryan Mathews will be invaluable as a FLEX to me this year, and I knew I could stack up on wideouts I like later on anyway. Yes, I could have taken some turd like Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, or Larry Fitzgerald, or I could have done what I did, not lived in the past, and still wound up with studs later.

Edited by Steve9347

Too many people get roped into "that's TOO EARLY" for so and so player - hell, I've done it. Then some assbag gets said player, or there's a run on the position, and all the sudden that's why we draft instead of just letting the Yahoo "experts" or 95% of grovelling fools who set ADP dictate when and where taking a player is too early.

My team is stacked, because I had goals in mind and knew when I would be able to get guys I like.

Sometimes, it's fun to not follow the drones.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
Unless some jerk reaches even further than me, there is no way I'm not taking David Wilson on the turn at 12/13

Yeah - his stock just went up big-time. I'd still wait before pigeon-holing yourself. You could have Shady, MJD, Ray Rice, etc.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 09:31 AM)
There's no chance in f*** all he was getting back to me at the end of round 5 (the best RB available at that point wound up being Chris Ivory). I knew I was taking Matt Stafford in round 4, because f*** if I wasn't getting Matt Stafford this year.

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1...86/draftresults

It's about building a team, seeing what's available, and taking what you want. Ryan Mathews will be invaluable as a FLEX to me this year, and I knew I could stack up on wideouts I like later on anyway. Yes, I could have taken some turd like Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, or Larry Fitzgerald, or I could have done what I did, not lived in the past, and still wound up with studs later.

LOL, turd like Larry Fitzgerald.

You must really, really love Ryan Mathews. Because that pick sticks out like a sore thumb in the 3rd round considering who was available. If he has a monster year, I'll tip my cap to you. But I just don't see the value there, especially with 2 RB's already on your team.

I would have taken Sproles, Lacy, or Miller before him.

But holy s*** your team would be even better if you had Roddy White (how the hell did he last until the end of round 4) or Larry Fitzgerald.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
14 team league

QB: RG3

RB1: Foster

RB2: Jones-Drew

WR1:Fitzgerald

WR2: Steve Smith

TE: Sudfeld

Flex: T. Austin/M. Austin

D/ST: Bears

Like every team in my league my bench is basically garbage and not worth talking about.

That's a pretty legit first 4 rounds of picks for a 14 teamer

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
Yeah - his stock just went up big-time. I'd still wait before pigeon-holing yourself. You could have Shady, MJD, Ray Rice, etc.

There is no way I'm taking MJD over Wilson. Ray Rice I probably would have to, but he won't make it to me anyways, there's a guy in our league who has a boner for him.

I think Wilson can easily put up 1400 and 10 this year, and those could be even better too knowing how often the Giants like to pound it in near the end zone (/anal joke). I might be able to get guys like Bradshaw, Lacy, Bernard, Bell, Miller, Run DMC, Mathews, or Ivory later on too, or perhaps take Richardson and Pead in one shot in like the 11th and 12th and then hope one gets hot.

All I know is that I want Wilson this year and I think he's going to be a top 10 back. I stashed him all year last year and he helped me make money, and I am going back to that well again this year. But this is why I hate picking 12th...he'll almost certainly be available at 24 but he's gone in that 29-34 range.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
Fitzgerald was pretty worthless last year

I think that's going to totally change this year. Carson Palmer can still throw the football and they will be behind a lot. He had absolutely no one to throw the ball to him last year. You don't have to be a good real QB to be a good fantasy QB, and that was Carson Palmer last year.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
But holy s*** your team would be even better if you had Roddy White (how the hell did he last until the end of round 4) or Larry Fitzgerald.

Dwayne Bowe and Pierre Garcon, drafted much later, will be better than either this season.

If the game were about drafting based solely on past performance it'd be easier to be as good as I am at it.

/guywhocalledalfredmorris

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
Dwayne Bowe and Pierre Garcon, drafted much later, will be better than either this season.

If the game were about drafting based solely on past performance it'd be easier to be as good as I am at it.

Bowe possibly but claiming that about Garcon is going way out on a limb. The guy is a walking injury. Anyone drafting him would be lucky to get 8-10 games out of him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)

You are f***ing crazy if you think Dwayne Bowe is going to be better than White or Fitzgerald. He still has a noodle armed QB except that Smith throws even MORE in between the numbers. Bowe is a vertical, middle to deep threat wide out.

If Bowe has the same eyar as last, it would be a good year.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
Bowe possibly but claiming that about Garcon is going way out on a limb. The guy is a walking injury. Anyone drafting him would be lucky to get 8-10 games out of him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
You are f***ing crazy if you think Dwayne Bowe is going to be better than White or Fitzgerald. He still has a noodle armed QB except that Smith throws even MORE in between the numbers. Bowe is a vertical, middle to deep threat wide out.

If Bowe has the same eyar as last, it would be a good year.

I love these two posts back to back. I think, bottomline, if you are counting on Garcon or Bowe to be anything more than a WR3 - aka flex play - you are in trouble

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
I love these two posts back to back. I think, bottomline, if you are counting on Garcon or Bowe to be anything more than a WR3 - aka flex play - you are in trouble

I would much rather have either than Fitzgerald this year.