Fantasy football advice thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 08:45 AM)
I have grown to like Garcon over Bowe, but who the hell knows. After week 1 I'm re-calibrating.

It's a close call for sure, I like both guys.

I hear you on recalibrating - trying not to play a panic card after one week with guys, but also a good time to look to buy low when applicable.

I think Bowe will still get a ton of targets in an Andy Reid offense and will be good in PPR.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Bowe is that Alex Smith does not throw a good deep ball and if KC is not behind they are not going to be throwing a lot. KC has a massively underrated defense that is going to keep them in the majority of their games and as long as Charles stays healthy *knocks on wood* they are going to run their offense through him, whether that is on the ground or lining him up at WR and exploiting the mismatch like they did a few times last week.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
It's a close call for sure, I like both guys.

I hear you on recalibrating - trying not to play a panic card after one week with guys, but also a good time to look to buy low when applicable.

I think Bowe will still get a ton of targets in an Andy Reid offense and will be good in PPR.

That was my thought-process on Wilson. It might have seemed like a panic move to get rid of Bowe, but it was purely trying to upgrade. Wilson went 10 picks before an overdrafted Mathews and Gronk went 10 picks before Bowe. I like that type of upgrade.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
The problem with Bowe is that Alex Smith does not throw a good deep ball and if KC is not behind they are not going to be throwing a lot. KC has a massively underrated defense that is going to keep them in the majority of their games and as long as Charles stays healthy *knocks on wood* they are going to run their offense through him, whether that is on the ground or lining him up at WR and exploiting the mismatch like they did a few times last week.

No way. Andy Reid loves throwing the ball. Over the past nine seasons, Andy Reid offenses have been top-10 in the NFL in passing yards eight times.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
That was my thought-process on Wilson. It might have seemed like a panic move to get rid of Bowe, but it was purely trying to upgrade. Wilson went 10 picks before an overdrafted Mathews and Gronk went 10 picks before Bowe. I like that type of upgrade.

I have Wilson on one of my teams as well. No use trading super low on him.

I don't think it was panic getting rid of Bowe, just what it would take in the trade. If you can get 10+ games out of Gronk, the trade will be fine for you. You have 2 guys that could be stars on any given week, and gave up one solid/star player and one player who will be injured in 2 weeks. Or bad.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
No way. Andy Reid loves throwing the ball. Over the past nine seasons, Andy Reid offenses have been top-10 in the NFL in passing yards eight times.

I have Wilson on one of my teams as well. No use trading super low on him.

I don't think it was panic getting rid of Bowe, just what it would take in the trade. If you can get 10+ games out of Gronk, the trade will be fine for you. You have 2 guys that could be stars on any given week, and gave up one solid/star player and one player who will be injured in 2 weeks. Or bad.

It isn't as if KC has been some elite passing team the last few years with Cassel, and Bowe still was a pretty solid fantasy receiver. I wouldn't expect that to change.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Andy Reid offenses in Philadelphia also had much better receiver corps.

I don't know about much better, they did have Owens, who Bowe is trying to serve as on this team (and has similar size). You still can't dismiss the fact that Reid loves throwing the ball just because you think the Eagles had better receivers. It's not like he had Drew Brees playing for him.

8 out of 9 years for top 10 is a pretty big indicator of a pass-happy Reid.

They were up big all day Sunday and still threw it 34 times.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
I don't know about much better, they did have Owens, who Bowe is trying to serve as on this team (and has similar size). You still can't dismiss the fact that Reid loves throwing the ball just because you think the Eagles had better receivers. It's not like he had Drew Brees playing for him.

8 out of 9 years for top 10 is a pretty big indicator of a pass-happy Reid.

They were up big all day Sunday and still threw it 34 times.

They're going to utilize Charles. If that means throwing it to him out of the backfield, or in screens or lining him out wide that's what they are going to do. McCluster as well. They may throw but it will be conservatively done. I could be wrong, but even as a Chiefs fan, I believe Bowe is going to disappoint fantasy owners this year.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
They're going to utilize Charles. If that means throwing it to him out of the backfield, or in screens or lining him out wide that's what they are going to do. McCluster as well. They may throw but it will be conservatively done. I could be wrong, but even as a Chiefs fan, I believe Bowe is going to disappoint fantasy owners this year.

I realize they are going to utilize Charles, but he's a bit fragile so I don't think he's getting 30 touches a game. Plus if you're planning to stop KC, you try to limit Charles the best you can.

Even if it's conservative I think it's fine. I don't really care if Smith doesn't throw deep all the time. In PPR, Bowe can grab shorter passes and still be fine.

I just don't see him getting worse than previous years with a better QB and a more pass happy coach.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
You like Bowe this week?

I need two receivers and with Amendola out I have DeSean Jackson, Anquan Boldin and Dwayne Bowe. Unfortunately, my boss was ahead of me on the waiver wire and snatched Edelman.

I'd favor Bowe over Jackson a little bit. Bowe has a nice matchup this week, we all saw Dallas get shredded last week in the passing game.

It's hard to sit Boldin after last week, but the matchup is brutal.

So if you need two, I'm playing Boldin/Bowe. I couldn't really argue with you if you wanted Jackson over Bowe though.

So much for Le'veon Bell coming back week 3....Said to be about a month a away....Still don't regret dumping Redman even though he's really all the have left.

This leaves my Flex2 options between Eifert, Marlon Brown, and either Sudfeld or whoever I drop for Sudfeld. I've got a waiver claim out on Gresham and Alshon who for whatever reason were both dropped after decent games. Other intriguing names on the FA market include- Bilal Powell/Santana Moss/Dwayne Allen/Kenny Stills/Doug Baldwin/Brandon Gibson. Oh and of course Redman who I just released for Pryor.

If I miss out on Gresham/Jeffery who should I go with? My guys Eifert or Brown? One of the FAs? Sudfeld=/?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
I got Jordan Cameron off waivers in one league to replace Gates and Edelman in another to replace Roddy White.

I'm sure you didn't, but I hope you dropped someone else for Edelman, not White.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
You little Matthew Berry fan.

Indeed. His whole train of thought on Bowe made sense to me.

You read his book? Great stuff in there about things different leagues do, etc.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)

I did. And yes, his train of thought made sense on Bowe, but sometimes he gets carried away. See: Miller, Lamar.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
I did. And yes, his train of thought made sense on Bowe, but sometimes he gets carried away. See: Miller, Lamar.

He just knows Daniel Thomas sucks, and Miller shows flashes. He could be a bust, but as we're talking about, one week. He's like a poor man's Wilson at this point.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
I'm sure you didn't, but I hope you dropped someone else for Edelman, not White.

Haha, no I didn't.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
So much for Le'veon Bell coming back week 3....Said to be about a month a away....Still don't regret dumping Redman even though he's really all the have left.

This leaves my Flex2 options between Eifert, Marlon Brown, and either Sudfeld or whoever I drop for Sudfeld. I've got a waiver claim out on Gresham and Alshon who for whatever reason were both dropped after decent games. Other intriguing names on the FA market include- Bilal Powell/Santana Moss/Dwayne Allen/Kenny Stills/Doug Baldwin/Brandon Gibson. Oh and of course Redman who I just released for Pryor.

If I miss out on Gresham/Jeffery who should I go with? My guys Eifert or Brown? One of the FAs? Sudfeld=/?

Jesus, this is the saddest sad to ever sad.

Powell and Moss are probably your best options out of that bunch

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
Jesus, this is the saddest sad to ever sad.

Powell and Moss are probably your best options out of that bunch

I concur, looking back at my draft, I drafted Andre bleepin Brown in the 8th and was banking on him to be my Flex2. For what it's worth there wasn't a single starting RB left....With David Wilson in the doghouse Brown would have looked good right about now had he not gotten injured.

Once Gordon and Bell get back my options will look a lot more attractive.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
Cecil Shorts is a good buy low right now with Henne the probable QB now.

Really though, if he's available, the other people in your league are idiots. I think he went in round 7 or 8 of our 12 team league, and we had a 16 round draft

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
Really though, if he's available, the other people in your league are idiots. I think he went in round 7 or 8 of our 12 team league, and we had a 16 round draft

I didnt mean he would be available in FA, I meant its a good time to trade for him while his stock is low.