Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Watch the committee put Witchita St in the same region as Duke and Michigan State. ESPN says Louisville could be a 3 and have them in the Midwest as well.

I would love to see the committe do that.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
Bruce Pearl hired at Auburn.

Not sure if it's true, but I read elsewhere that the NCAA investigator that brought down Pearl at Tenn works in Auburn's athletic department. :lol:

Yeah i saw that too. I also saw a few ESPN writers saying it was the best coaching duo in the country with him and Gus. Laughable.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
How disgusting is college athletics when a dude that was blackballed from the sport for decades for lying to the NCAA, and who was eventually allowed back into coaching only to do the same thing again, is the hottest commodity out there?

And the school is overwhelmingly cheered for it.

How disgusting is college SEC athletics when a dude that was blackballed from the sport for decades for lying to the NCAA, and who was eventually allowed back into coaching only to do the same thing again, is the hottest commodity out there?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
As Rock said though, people in the industry of college sports are applauding the hire.

And those same people will laud the concept of amatuerism in the NCAA and all that other BS.

It is a great hire because the dude will win basketball games, but I also realize that winning is the most important thing in college basketball & football. Some people in the industry still try to act like its not.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
Bruce Pearl hired at Auburn.

Not sure if it's true, but I read elsewhere that the NCAA investigator that brought down Pearl at Tenn works in Auburn's athletic department. :lol:

It is absolutely true. Shrewd move, Auburn. Their coaching duo is certainly one of the Top 5 now. Wouldn't say it's the best, but it's up there.

I feel a lot of hurt right now. I knew Pearl could never be back at UT, but I selfishly didn't want him back in the SEC. I was hoping he'd go to BC or Clemson, or somewhere like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
The Big 10 teams are just a b**** to pick this year. Michigan, MSU, and Wisconsin could make the final four, or they could lose their first game. Neither would surprise me.

I have MSU in the Final Four in two of my brackets. I think they're getting hot at the right time and could be a nightmare for teams.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
I have MSU in the Final Four in two of my brackets. I think they're getting hot at the right time and could be a nightmare for teams.

Michigan really doenst play anyone until Duke. And they could shoot their way past them.

I totally disagree. That's a team that can win in half court basketball or by running up and down the court. They're finally healthy and they're playing their best basketball of the season. You have probably 3 NBA players on that team (Harris, Payne, possibly Dawson) and all three can take over a game. I have them winning the whole thing, but realistically after the Final Four it's a toss up.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
I totally disagree. That's a team that can win in half court basketball or by running up and down the court. They're finally healthy and they're playing their best basketball of the season. You have probably 3 NBA players on that team (Harris, Payne, possibly Dawson) and all three can take over a game. I have them winning the whole thing, but realistically after the Final Four it's a toss up.

Thats why we play the games right? I like Wisconsin going quite a bit in the tournament this year but who knows. OSU will be out early, so will Iowa. Michigan plays nobody until Duke and MSU will run into a few challenges but not much until UVA. Cinci or Harvard will be interesting against them and I have ISU coming out of one of my brackets.

The funny part is Wisconsin literally got the white boy road. Creighton, BYU (possibly)? So many buzzcuts and white man jumpers.

I mean, wasn't the bad part just that Pearl lied? Compared to having programs with actual illegal behavior being covered up, recruiting violations like having a recruit over to your house more than is allowed just doesn't get me as riled up. Pearl was a good studio commentator, wish he stayed out of coaching.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
I mean, wasn't the bad part just that Pearl lied? Compared to having programs with actual illegal behavior being covered up, recruiting violations like having a recruit over to your house more than is allowed just doesn't get me as riled up. Pearl was a good studio commentator, wish he stayed out of coaching.

This is true. His sanctions were all about the lie, which was so stupid in the first place because it was only a secondary violation that he lied about. If he hadn't lied, it would have resulted in a slap on the wrist. That's what makes me most upset with Bruce. He forced us to fire him for something so stupid.

A coach lying to the NCAA is like me, an attorney, lying to a judge. You lose all credibility. It's immoral. It's unethical. Add that to the fact that's he's an unethical creep to begin with and he really shouldn't be coaching anymore. Just like Sampson. Dude was the head of the ethics committee and then broke ethical rules. Both should have been barred for life.

It's f***ed up that we expect 18-22 year olds to act perfectly all the time and be model citizens and all that, but coaches and administrators always get off easy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
A coach lying to the NCAA is like me, an attorney, lying to a judge. You lose all credibility. It's immoral. It's unethical. Add that to the fact that's he's an unethical creep to begin with and he really shouldn't be coaching anymore. Just like Sampson. Dude was the head of the ethics committee and then broke ethical rules. Both should have been barred for life.

It's f***ed up that we expect 18-22 year olds to act perfectly all the time and be model citizens and all that, but coaches and administrators always get off easy.

Except this is college sports, and these aren't real laws. Look, I get your point, but at least Bruce Pearl isn't a "dirty" coach (at least no more than the rest of college basketball). College basketball is incredibly corrupt. It's way worse than college football. AAU programs and shoe companies (Nike/Adidas) run the whole recruiting circuit. But we're all going to get on our high horse when Bruce Pearl lies about a secondary violation he committed and then comes clean about it 2 weeks later?

I understand that most of you are Illini fans, so you hate the guy... but you need to look at this arbitrarily.

Keep in mind that I'm defending the guy even though he's the reason for the decline of UT's basketball program. We were the #1 team in the country at one point in 2008 and made an Elite 8 run in 2009. He got fired and now we're a bubble team. I have as much reason to hate on the guy as any, but I think he deserved another shot. He's not a bad guy. He made a stupid mistake.

And he isn't necessarily getting off easy. First, he couldn't coach for 3 years. And now that he's back, he had to go to a low-tier program like Auburn. That will be a very tough program to win at. Not only do they have poor facilities, they have Under Amour as their apparel provider. UA doesn't own much of the basketball landscape and that kills teams in recruiting. Of all the major conferences, only one team ever has won a conference championship wearing UA gear. He'll have his work cut out for him. But I suspect he'll be successful for Auburn's standards. And lucky for him, the SEC is pretty bad right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
And I have MSU going out earlier than most. They are very flawed and their Big Ten tournament win isnt as impressive as it looks on the surface IMO. I think people are picking them way too deep.

I agree with this. /takes shower

I still don't believe Appling is healthy and teams should just leave Valentine alone when he is outside the arc. Payne is made of glass and could go down anytime. It's the Izzo effect as to why people are picking them now.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
Thats why we play the games right? I like Wisconsin going quite a bit in the tournament this year but who knows. OSU will be out early, so will Iowa. Michigan plays nobody until Duke and MSU will run into a few challenges but not much until UVA. Cinci or Harvard will be interesting against them and I have ISU coming out of one of my brackets.

The funny part is Wisconsin literally got the white boy road. Creighton, BYU (possibly)? So many buzzcuts and white man jumpers.

One bracket people.

OH MAN I TOTALLY NAILED THAT UPSET/FINAL FOUR!

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
Except this is college sports, and these aren't real laws. Look, I get your point, but at least Bruce Pearl isn't a "dirty" coach (at least no more than the rest of college basketball). College basketball is incredibly corrupt. It's way worse than college football. AAU programs and shoe companies (Nike/Adidas) run the whole recruiting circuit. But we're all going to get on our high horse when Bruce Pearl lies about a secondary violation he committed and then comes clean about it 2 weeks later?

I understand that most of you are Illini fans, so you hate the guy... but you need to look at this arbitrarily.

Keep in mind that I'm defending the guy even though he's the reason for the decline of UT's basketball program. We were the #1 team in the country at one point in 2008 and made an Elite 8 run in 2009. He got fired and now we're a bubble team. I have as much reason to hate on the guy as any, but I think he deserved another shot. He's not a bad guy. He made a stupid mistake.

And he isn't necessarily getting off easy. First, he couldn't coach for 3 years. And now that he's back, he had to go to a low-tier program like Auburn. That will be a very tough program to win at. Not only do they have poor facilities, they have Under Amour as their apparel provider. UA doesn't own much of the basketball landscape and that kills teams in recruiting. Of all the major conferences, only one team ever has won a conference championship wearing UA gear. He'll have his work cut out for him. But I suspect he'll be successful for Auburn's standards. And lucky for him, the SEC is pretty bad right now.

I can look at it arbitrarily. He completely fabricated an entire report to the NCAA during the Thomas fiasco. Trying to play the fake "good cop" because he was butthurt over losing a recruit.

THEN all the stuff at UT, well after that.

He's a liar and a cheat.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)

Yeah, f*** all that nonsense. He's a cheater and a liar and it's sad that any "academic institution" would hire him to teach/coach young adults.

edit: and yes, the violation of the rule was secondary, but his attempts to hide it, and his attempts to get Crafts dad to hide it, show what a miserable c*** that guy is.

Edited by Jenksismybitch