Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Anthony Lee going to Ohio State. That is absolutely huge for OSU. They badly need someone else who could score for next season.

Doesn't he have to sit?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Players love Alford. He has always been a player's coach, for better or for worse.

For some reason, he never was able to relax at Iowa, and I guess it goes back to the expectations of the 2001-02 team with Recker/Reggie Evans and falling into a 5-13 Big 10 record after being Top 10 in January that year.

Then Pierce.

Then Northwestern State. Tyler Smith leaving for Tennessee and former Iowa assistant Bruce Pearl didn't help much. For that matter, I think the attrition rate of players transferring or getting kicked out of the program must have been 55-60% when he was at Iowa. That was one of the biggest knocks.

He never seemed to do those "fun" things like he did at SW Missouri State, like having a wiffle ball tournament in the gym instead of practicing, free throw shooting contests against him...he's brought that same feeling to UCLA, at least for now.

If I had a $1.00 for every personalized "Steve Alford is an arrogant bastard/SOB/d--k" from people living in Iowa City, I'd be well on my way to my first million at this point.

I think he just felt Iowa was beneath him, and that Indiana pride and the arrogance never set well with anyone. It's okay for him to have that kind of swagger in SoCal, as long as you back it up with on-court results.

I'm sure he grew a lot out of the Iowa situation, because he has done a much better job at New Mexico (minus the NCAA tourney wipeouts until this year with UCLA) and his one year in Westwood.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
What's the knock on Kaminsky? Is the only reason I'm not seeing him on any draft boards is because he's a junior and is expected to return?

Athleticism. Just think of how J4L would evaluate him for the NBA and that's the knock. IMO he's a contributor and maybe a starter. Maybe.

He's better than Mullens and Koufos and they play.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 10:59 PM)
Athleticism. Just think of how J4L would evaluate him for the NBA and that's the knock. IMO he's a contributor and maybe a starter. Maybe.

Just based on his 3 games in the tourney, I'd have to agree that he looks like he could be, at worst, a guy who comes off the bench to stretch the floor. If he really is viewed as a 2nd round pick I'd love to see him backing up Jo. Throwing him out there with Jo or Taj would open up the lane for those guys to go to work.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 11:22 PM)
Just based on his 3 games in the tourney, I'd have to agree that he looks like he could be, at worst, a guy who comes off the bench to stretch the floor. If he really is viewed as a 2nd round pick I'd love to see him backing up Jo. Throwing him out there with Jo or Taj would open up the lane for those guys to go to work.

Agreed. He's a good player and is actually improving in the post.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball...nsin-final-four

Great story on the relationship between Bo Ryan and his father...and how his father passed away without seeing his son get to the Final Four. I especially liked the baseball anecdote thrown in there. Classic coaching/motivational move.

As for lottery picks, I would rather have Payne than Harris, but I don't think either's going nearly that high.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 10:59 PM)

I think he is one of those guys who will be a solid 10 year contributor in the NBA. Think Brad Miller.