Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
Ucla is still the premier west coast program. The right coach could make it a monster.

Pretty much. Stanford might be back, although Dawkins was close to getting fired, maybe they've finally turned the corner.

And there's always a lot of talent and potential with Oregon and Washington, but nothing compares to UCLA and USC...even with SD State and New Mexico also making inroads, along with Colorado.

Gonzaga will always be perceived as a mid-major.

That said, Arizona has become the quasi-UCLA of the last 20 years or so, well, ever since Lute Olson left Iowa in the early 80's and came across Steve Kerr....so actually about 30 years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
So a final four run bought him five years. Exactly.

I think you're missing the point. 5 years is longer than most coaches at power programs get to screw up, much less the other 5 years he was there.

The UCLA job just seems depressing, their fan base blows. I've heard people make arguments that the Marquette job is better than the Illinois job, I'm not going to get into that but Shaka is from Wisconsin so maybe that has something to do with it if he does go there.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
I think you're missing the point. 5 years is longer than most coaches at power programs get to screw up, much less the other 5 years he was there.

He is pretty much set up to fail at a handful of programs. UCLA is one of them. He can make a lifetime out of a place like Marquette, if he wants.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
He is pretty much set up to fail at a handful of programs. UCLA is one of them. He can make a lifetime out of a place like Marquette, if he wants.

10 years at UCLA is going to make him more money than 20 years at most other schools. Besides, there were extenuating circumstances with Howland given that very unflattering Sports Illustrated article that came out during his last season.

It's not just Howland either, Steve Lavin got 7 years despite his only Elite 8 appearance coming in his first year. He kind of forced their hand with a 10-19 year too. Jim Harrick probably would have cracked double-digits if not for NCAA violations. This isn't like Kentucky where Gillispie only gets 2 years.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Mike Brey has gotten 14 years. When is his time up???

Notre Dame isn't a school that expects Elite 8 appearances every year. That's the kind of program where you can stick around with a .650 WPT and occasional Sweet 16 appearances. Hell, Bill Carmody got 13 years with a lot less.

Notre Dame isn't a school that expects Elite 8 appearances every year. That's the kind of program where you can stick around with a .650 WPT and occasional Sweet 16 appearances. Hell, Bill Carmody got 13 years with a lot less.

Once in 14 years is really stretching the definition of "occasional". And let's be honest, the only reason ND got that one was by drawing Illinois in the second round.

No discussion of the recent Knight controversy? He said the NBA "raped" college basketball. I get he has a history of saying stupid and offensive things, but I don't really see much of an issue here. Can "rape" no longer be used as a verb these days?

http://thebiglead.com/2014/03/25/bobby-bob...ege-basketball/

Plus, didn't Knight make that infamous comment a long time ago about "if you're being raped, you might as well relax and enjoy it"?

He should know to be more careful. Probably bitter about the end of his son's coaching career.

Tom Crean would be another guy who's definitely on the ropes at Indiana, and facing an uphill battle without Vonleh to get back to post-season play, with the resurgence of Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, maybe Illinois and even PSU and Northwestern trending upwards.

The only team that's clearly worse for next year is Purdue, and Painter's job will be in jeopardy soon enough with 5-13 finishes and Ronnie Johnson transferring.

Alford had 3 NCAA appearances in 8 years at Iowa (1-3 in the tourney after promising Sweet 16's and championship caliber play) and he left after 2007 for New Mexico or he was going to be fired the following year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 06:49 AM)
Steve Masiello has apparently been O'Leareyed by South Florida.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball...-steve-masiello

Apparently if you lie to the NCAA on multiple occasions and cheat, you can have a job. But lie about getting a piece of paper 15 years ago, you can't.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
So a final four run bought him five years. Exactly.

It turned into a disaster. Howland had so many issues with that program the last few years. It was his inability to handle the young players that got him canned (and he was able to stick around for 5 years after the struggles). X's and O's he's an excellent head coach and will be a good hire somewhere else but his last 5 years warranted for him to be fired. Alford, as much as he annoyed me at times, I typically liked him, has done a pretty nice job at year one and is finally delivering in the tourney. I have a buddy who has played under both Howland and Alford and said its night and day how much better things are under Alford. Players generally like playing for Steve. I'm curious to see if the Bruins can get past Florida. I hope they can.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
The UCLA job just seems depressing, their fan base blows. I've heard people make arguments that the Marquette job is better than the Illinois job, I'm not going to get into that but Shaka is from Wisconsin so maybe that has something to do with it if he does go there.

Alford seems to have the momentum turning.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
It turned into a disaster. Howland had so many issues with that program the last few years. It was his inability to handle the young players that got him canned (and he was able to stick around for 5 years after the struggles). X's and O's he's an excellent head coach and will be a good hire somewhere else but his last 5 years warranted for him to be fired. Alford, as much as he annoyed me at times, I typically liked him, has done a pretty nice job at year one and is finally delivering in the tourney. I have a buddy who has played under both Howland and Alford and said its night and day how much better things are under Alford. Players generally like playing for Steve. I'm curious to see if the Bruins can get past Florida. I hope they can.

Players love Alford. He has always been a player's coach, for better or for worse.