Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
This game was the line that got one of my friends/fellow alums/season ticket holders saying it was time for a coaching change.

Let's see if the AD has the balls to make a change or wait until it's 2 years too late like Guenther. Next year will be that defining year IMO. He's still getting recruits, but at least so far, those recruits aren't panning out. I don't see them being much better next year unless Vonleh stays, Ferrill stops making awful turnovers (and flopping non-stop) and some of their big recruits can make an impact.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
Let's see if the AD has the balls to make a change or wait until it's 2 years too late like Guenther. Next year will be that defining year IMO. He's still getting recruits, but at least so far, those recruits aren't panning out. I don't see them being much better next year unless Vonleh stays, Ferrill stops making awful turnovers (and flopping non-stop) and some of their big recruits can make an impact.

I'll tentatively agree with you that the 2014-2015 season is going to be a key one in determining his long-term future. What's his contract status?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
I'll tentatively agree with you that the 2014-2015 season is going to be a key one in determining his long-term future. What's his contract status?

He's signed through 2020. His buyout is 8 million in 2014-2015 and 2015-16, 1 million 2016-17, and 500k from 2017-2020.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball...tract-extension

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
He's signed through 2020. His buyout is 8 million in 2014-2015 and 2015-16, 1 million 2016-17, and 500k from 2017-2020.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball...tract-extension

So does that mean his buyout after the 2015-2016 season ends is $1 million?

So there's a $7 million savings if he is the coach for the next 2 seasons compared to if he's only the coach for the next 1 season?

So that buys him 2 full seasons after this one. I can tolerate that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)

So there's a $7 million savings if he is the coach for the next 2 seasons compared to if he's only the coach for the next 1 season?

Right, that's how I read it.

One of my Indiana buddies has gone from "Indiana is back and we're never going to suck again!" two years ago to "well, back to being mediocre." He's convinced Vonleh is gone and without any other decent post player (on the roster or as commits) they'll be just as bad next year. He's also firmly in the fire Tom Crean camp now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
Right, that's how I read it.

One of my Indiana buddies has gone from "Indiana is back and we're never going to suck again!" two years ago to "well, back to being mediocre." He's convinced Vonleh is gone and without any other decent post player (on the roster or as commits) they'll be just as bad next year. He's also firmly in the fire Tom Crean camp now.

Vonleh's draft stock points to him leaving but who knows.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)

Next year would be put or shut up time for him, but if it really is a $7 million savings, then he's definitely getting the next two years (unless Mellencamp or Cook REALLY want him gone and pony up the cash!). If we are at in two years where we are right now, see ya.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)

No idea what he'll do in regards to Crean, but I am pretty happy with Glass overall. I don't think Crean was hired by Glass, either. If I remember the timeline right, Crean was hired by the Board of Trustees in early April 2008, and Glass was hired shortly thereafter.