Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGary and Smart are poster childs for why you should always go pro when you have the chance.

I'd like to hear what the fan said before I throw the book at Smart. I'm sure these players hear awful stuff all the time, but rarely is it by someone standing face to face with you in the heat of the moment.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 01:35 AM)
The guy who instigated (maybe) the incident texted a reporter and said he said something that he shouldn't have and feels bad about it.

Of course...many wonder if it is the so-called "magic hate word" going on here.

You could see him saying I'm sorry about that man before he got pushed.

Fans today don't see a teenager, they see a player on the other team they hate and say stupid stuff. I'm not condoning what Smart did but fans need to be held accountable.

If the fan had to apologize for what he said, than he clearly admits some fault. Smart needs thicker skin though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
I am in the minority here but if you say something derogatory to a college athlete you deserve a hell of a lot more than a push. People suck.

He deserved a nice punch to the face. Fans think they can say and do anything since they have a nice barrier between them and players "can't" do anything.

Not much will happen to this guy. Money talks. They aren't going to ban this guy or anything.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
Anthony Beane is just on fire. Salukis about to win their 4th in a row

Brian and I were talking about how we're afraid to get excited about this team but they're just killing everyone right now. Hopefully we can make Tuesday interesting.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 08:01 AM)
McGary and Smart are poster childs for why you should always go pro when you have the chance.

I'd like to hear what the fan said before I throw the book at Smart. I'm sure these players hear awful stuff all the time, but rarely is it by someone standing face to face with you in the heat of the moment.

Which is exactly why Embiid needs to leave. :P

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
Brian and I were talking about how we're afraid to get excited about this team but they're just killing everyone right now. Hopefully we can make Tuesday interesting.

They became dangerous when Beane decided to shoot. Desmar had a pretty meh game last night and they won by 20, thats pretty good for them. Say what you want about his rant, but Hinson really woke them up with his deadspin highlight a few months ago.

Certainly not expecting them to sneak into the tourney or even the NIT this season, but if they keep playing like this they could get into the CBI, and possibly the NIT. Considering where the program has been the past 5 years, I will take it. Gotta start building back up somewhere

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
They became dangerous when Beane decided to shoot. Desmar had a pretty meh game last night and they won by 20, thats pretty good for them. Say what you want about his rant, but Hinson really woke them up with his deadspin highlight a few months ago.

Certainly not expecting them to sneak into the tourney or even the NIT this season, but if they keep playing like this they could get into the CBI, and possibly the NIT. Considering where the program has been the past 5 years, I will take it. Gotta start building back up somewhere

Once the youngins started to play they've taken off. Smithpeters, O'brien and especially Bola are all playing really well since they've started to get minutes. And ya, Beane is becoming a monster.

Unfortunately their overall record still blows so they're not even going to get one of the lesser tourny's. My hope(ok, dream) is that somehow WSU gets knocked off in St. Louis and we can make a crazy run. Obviously Wichita will be a heavy, heavy favorite but if something crazy happens and they don't win it, we might be the team to steal that bid.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
He deserved a nice punch to the face. Fans think they can say and do anything since they have a nice barrier between them and players "can't" do anything.

Not much will happen to this guy. Money talks. They aren't going to ban this guy or anything.

Agreed. In an "amateur" competition involving "student"-athletes, somehow the fan is given the benefit of the doubt because he paid for a ticket? Not that this behavior would be OK at a NBA game, but it's a grown man yelling God knows what in a teenager's face.

It's a deal where Marcus is still wrong for hitting a fan, but if the context is what we believe it to be, we just know that he's not a bad kid. He's a kid that lost his temper when someone quite legitimately challenged that temper. We'll hope he learned from it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
It's a deal where Marcus is still wrong for hitting a fan, but if the context is what we believe it to be, we just know that he's not a bad kid. He's a kid that lost his temper when someone quite legitimately challenged that temper. We'll hope he learned from it.

He also has the rep of being an extremely good kid so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. There's just certain lines you don't cross if you're a fan(a person in general) and if he did say what we think he said I have no problem with Smart attempting to shut him up even though you're never supposed to touch a fan.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
Pretty scary what the race card can do, regardless of lack of truth behind it.

Deadspin

if its on the internet then it must be true.

if its not true, then this fan just got his named dragged through the mud and no one will apologize. they'll just move onto the next Incognito type story.