Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
If that's true, I take back everything I said. Smart's a moron if this is the case.

Smart is wrong for putting his hands on a fan. What was said to provoke him is important only in determining how the fan in question should be disciplined.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 06:03 PM)
No, I stand by what I said. You are a 40 year old "superfan" at a college sporting event and an opposing athlete ends up in the crowd, so you call him a piece of crap? Yeah, you suck at life and should be banned from attending games for a while. IMO he comes off looking much worse than Smart.

We've only the fan's word that he didn't use a racial slur. Neither Marcus Smart or Travis Ford was willing disclose what they thought he said. I don't know if their reluctance is due to their wanting to keep the incident relatively contained or if it's because they don't feel comfortable discussing such a sensitive issue in public. I will be disappointed if Texas Tech does not impose their own sanctions on the fan in question: I won't use his name because he doesn't deserve the attention and believe it's highly inappropriate for him to voluntarily abstain from attending remaining Texas Tech men's basketball games. The decision is not his to make.

--Captain Decker

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Willard Decker @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
Smart is wrong for putting his hands on a fan. What was said to provoke him is important only in determining how the fan in question should be disciplined.

We've only the fan's word that he didn't use a racial slur. Neither Marcus Smart or Travis Ford was willing disclose what they thought he said. I don't know if their reluctance is due to their wanting to keep the incident relatively contained or if it's because they don't feel comfortable discussing such a sensitive issue in public. I will be disappointed if Texas Tech does not impose their own sanctions on the fan in question: I won't use his name because he doesn't deserve the attention and believe it's highly inappropriate for him to voluntarily abstain from attending remaining Texas Tech men's basketball games. The decision is not his to make.

--Captain Decker

Just getting this straight. Fans should be banned for cursing at opposing players?

QUOTE (Willard Decker @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 01:13 AM)

--Captain Decker

There is video of the incident released about an hour ago from the camera Smart ran into on the play. He does get called a piece of crap.

And it is his decision to make on whether he wants to be a paying customer to an entertainment event. It's not like he has a contract where he's obligated to go. If someone bans him on top of that fine but it's his decision whether to go or not.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
When you attend your first sporting event you are going to be horrified. Duke fans chanted "wheres your daddy?" to Steve Kerr after Kerr's dad passed away. Telling a 20 year old he's a piece of crap is stupid, but Orr apologized to him right after he said it.

I have Bears season tickets in the far reaches of the upper deck, I am fully aware that sports fans are assholes. That doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't see how a horrific chant 20 years ago justifies this incident. When a college athlete falls in the crowd, I don't see why a grown man should be unprovokedly insulting him to his face, but I guess I'm just a prude.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
There is video of the incident released about an hour ago from the camera Smart ran into on the play. He does get called a piece of crap.

And it is his decision to make on whether he wants to be a paying customer to an entertainment event. It's not like he has a contract where he's obligated to go. If someone bans him on top of that fine but it's his decision whether to go or not.

It is not really a slam dunk that Orr said only that from that video. It's also kind of weird that he(Orr)put it in quotes in his apology, like he was paraphrasing.

Thanks Groce for listening to the fan base. Too bad you couldn't have done that about 5 weeks ago. Maybe this season wouldn't have been a lost cause. Bertrand was, again, awful. Egwu continues to dominate defensively despite the cinder blocks for hands. Ekey didn't shoot an airball, so that's progress. Nunn and Hill. Thank God it seems like you guys actually have some talent AND have a swagger to win.

Next year will be interesting. A player or two (I'm thinking Abrams) isn't going to be very happy about the lack of playing time if the transfers are any good.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)
Thanks Groce for listening to the fan base. Too bad you couldn't have done that about 5 weeks ago. Maybe this season wouldn't have been a lost cause. Bertrand was, again, awful. Egwu continues to dominate defensively despite the cinder blocks for hands. Ekey didn't shoot an airball, so that's progress. Nunn and Hill. Thank God it seems like you guys actually have some talent AND have a swagger to win.

Next year will be interesting. A player or two (I'm thinking Abrams) isn't going to be very happy about the lack of playing time if the transfers are any good.

Egwu played good D in the second half tonight but he certainly hasn't been a force on that end this year and no big man who is as bad on the glass he is can ever be considered dominant defensively.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
Just getting this straight. Fans should be banned for cursing at opposing players?

Fans should be banned for any inappropriate interaction with players, coaches or officials. Instigating a shoving match qualifies. Whatever one's feelings about Marcus Smart's behavior, he was reacting to what the fan in question said to him. If no words are exchanged, there's no altercation.

We've no way of knowing if that's all that was said between the fan and Marcus Smart throughout the game. No additional video has surfaced featuring a confrontation between the two, but that doesn't mean it's not out there. It's entirely within the realm of possibilities that this fan has directed insults and obscenities at Smart before. That doesn't change Smart's culpability for what happened. He deserves his suspension and will serve it. But it does call into question the fan's credibility, something that's not above question.

My point is that he does not get to decide what the penalty for his actions will be. My suspicion is that his voluntary absence from remaining Texas Tech games is a deliberate effort to avoid a more serious punishment by university officials, who have the power to hand down a permanent ban. He behaved inappropriately and precipitated an incident resulting in the suspension of an NCAA student-athlete. He does not get to decide what form of punishment is appropriate for such behavior.

--Captain Decker

Edited by Willard Decker

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
I have Bears season tickets in the far reaches of the upper deck, I am fully aware that sports fans are assholes. That doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't see how a horrific chant 20 years ago justifies this incident. When a college athlete falls in the crowd, I don't see why a grown man should be unprovokedly insulting him to his face, but I guess I'm just a prude.

Nothing justifies what he said. Smart certainly shouldn't have reacted the way he did, so he's wrong as well. But the fan was out of line for doing that, especially with him already in the crowd.

How many of you would walk up to someone in a bar and randomly call them a piece of crap?

Again, just goes back to the idiotic behavior of fans. If they have a wall/boards/line between them, they think they can say and do whatever they want. They aren't people out there, just opponents. So they treat them like animals.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 04:46 AM)
Getting fired by Illinois might have been the best thing that's ever happened to Bruce Weber.

Weber wins KSUS first big 12 title in 30 years and now he's having a great year with a roster that looked like a complete catastrophe coming into the year. He's been an amazing hire for KSU so far and Illini fans sure are butt hurt over it especially with Illinois being awful. I think a lot of the success is due to getting back in bed with Soxtalks other favorite coach Chris Lowery.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 07:23 AM)
Weber wins KSUS first big 12 title in 30 years and now he's having a great year with a roster that looked like a complete catastrophe coming into the year. He's been an amazing hire for KSU so far and Illini fans sure are butt hurt over it especially with Illinois being awful. I think a lot of the success is due to getting back in bed with Soxtalks other favorite coach Chris Lowery.

f*** Lowery.

Salukis play WSU tonite, in Wichita. Probably gonna lose big, but hopefully they give them a game.

Weber was good his first few years at Illinois too, I guess 2-3 more years from now be interesting to see the state of both programs

Do you think Weber would have done as well with illinois as Groce did last year?

Do you think Weber would have done better at Illinois with the way the roster was constructed for this year?

Do you think Weber's Illini would have had a brighter future than what it looks like now?

Nobody is butthurt. I think most people dislike Bruce Weber because he took a team that was in the top 5 in the B1G most years and ran them into the ground. Not to mention he tried to blame other people for his failure.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 07:47 AM)
Do you think Weber would have done as well with illinois as Groce did last year?

Do you think Weber would have done better at Illinois with the way the roster was constructed for this year?

Do you think Weber's Illini would have had a brighter future than what it looks like now?

Nobody is butthurt. I think most people dislike Bruce Weber because he took a team that was in the top 5 in the B1G most years and ran them into the ground. Not to mention he tried to blame other people for his failure.

Interesting, because this is exactly why Lowery was run out of Carbondale. And SIU fired him with cause, which means they refuse to pay him the rest of his contract(currently in litigation).

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)

1. No

2. Yes

3. no but our future isnt very bright as it stands

Look at any Illinois message. They are all obsessed with Bruce Weber. I agree they shouldn't be which makes it funnier.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
1. No

2. Yes

3. no but our future isnt very bright as it stands

Look at any Illinois message. They are all obsessed with Bruce Weber. I agree they shouldn't be which makes it funnier.

Not sure why you think Weber would do better with a worse lineup than we currently have. His offense largely relies on having multiple guards that can dribble, pass, and shoot. He recruited nobody that could do that, unless maybe you think Orris would have done better at Illinois than he did at KS.

You might think the future isn't bright, but this looks like a tournament team for the foreseeable future. That's at least a start.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
Not sure why you think Weber would do better with a worse lineup than we currently have. His offense largely relies on having multiple guards that can dribble, pass, and shoot. He recruited nobody that could do that, unless maybe you think Orris would have done better at Illinois than he did at KS.

You might think the future isn't bright, but this looks like a tournament team for the foreseeable future. That's at least a start.

With the way you worded it I thought you meant with what our roster is currently and I said yes because I think anyone would have handled the rotations better than Groce has this year. I think Weber would have us out of the cellar. Not saying that means anything other than Groce has done a poor job this year IMO. I am glad Weber isn't our coach.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 11, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)

I agree that Illini fans' obsession with Weber at KSU is creepy, but to be fair, this board was similar with rooting against Ozzie in Miami.

Fact is, Weber was one shot away from a championship, yet within 3 seasons he started the program's worst stretch in 30+ years. He is the reason why Illinois has missed 4 tournaments in 7 years.

Edited by LittleHurt05