2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
I think a lot of Sox fans are underplaying the type of prospect Dylan Cease is. His stock fell of a bit right before the draft but this guy was once considered a surefire 1st rounder. I don't love the Cubs strategy and would have taken Nola or Jackson #4, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works for them. I know Epstein has became a rag doll of sorts recently, but he's always been great in the draft.

Originally I scoffed at what they did, but after thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense. It's basically playing the system and increasing your odds of hitting on more quality prospects. While I love the Sox first two picks, it seems like it was a bunch of "meh" after that, especially since it seems highly unlikely we sign Montes de Oca. If Rodon and Adams hit their ceiling nobody will care of course, but just seems like a lot riding on those two arms.

I am looking forward to seeing the Cubs and Sox 2014 draft class develop.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
Arrieta's FIP is 2.58

I stand corrected. Still think he's about to get bombed. Every time I see him, he's leaving the bases loaded with multiple lineouts.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 03:59 AM)
So the Cubs got a reliever who walks 4.2/9, Mike Olt, and an A-baller with a bad shoulder and they "won" the trade? I'd say they need more time to declare that

Ramirez has been incredible so far as a reliever. It will be interesting to see who ends up being better, Montas or Edwards.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
What is Olt doing these days?

140 MLB at-bats: .150/.233/.364

vs. LHP: .195/.283/.561

vs. RHP: .131/.212/.283

So he's been a worse Adam Dunn vs. lefties and completely worthless vs righties

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 09:59 PM)
So the Cubs got a reliever who walks 4.2/9, Mike Olt, and an A-baller with a bad shoulder and they "won" the trade? I'd say they need more time to declare that

They got 4 quality pieces for a 1/2 season rental. It was a great trade.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 10:11 PM)
Ramirez has been incredible so far as a reliever. It will be interesting to see who ends up being better, Montas or Edwards.

People were incredibly high on Edwards last year. MLB had him as the #34 overall prospect, which is insane in my opinion. I've never seen anyone project him as more than a #2-3 and that's if he can stay healthy with his small frame.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 1m

Sources: Cubs telling teams they are willing to listen to offers for starting pitchers Samardzija, Hammel, E. Jackson and Arrieta. (more)

Haha, good luck with that, Theo.

Cubs draft strategy is looking pretty sound. They signed 4th rnder HS LHP Carson Sands for $1.1 million and HS LHP Justin Steele (5th rounder) for $1 million. They will most likely sign Dylan Cease as well. Adding Stinnett, Case, Steele, and Sands while drafting Schwarber is a nice haul and a great way of spreading resources around. I love what the Sox did but going under slot for a potential fast moving college bat has allowed the Cubs to give $1 million bonuses to top 100 high school guys.