2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:20 PM)
Up to 37% now. He's going to make a run at Flowers' 38% this year. No walks in 19 ABs. He better slug .450+, otherwise I foresee Cubs' fans getting fed up with his act rather quickly. Even at .475, he's going to have a tough time posting an OPS of better than .800 because I don't see him putting together an OBP of greater than .325 (I'd say he's closer to .280-.300, at least for the next few years)

Geez I guess I was being generous with the .280-.300 OBP. He's gonna be lucky to break .250 over the next few years, looking like big time bust potential. He has an awful approach at the plate.

I'll be honest, I check the Cubs boxscore almost every night just to see how many strikeouts Baez racked up. He's putting on quite the show.

In the 3 game set vs. Pittsburgh, he went 1-13....with 10 strikeouts.

He is striking out in 42.4% of his PA.

Also, he currently has more Ks than TB. And as far as I can tell, the only players who have ever done that in recent history over a full season were Adam Dunn in 2011, Carlos Pena, and Drew Stubbs and Rob Deer (both by 1). Danny Espinosa is currently doing it this season, by 1 strikeout. Basically, it means you are pretty f***ing terrible, and usually requires you to bat around .200 or less.

I do believe the Cubs are going to become very good within the next few years, but allow me to coin the term "Kubs", as I think you'll be seeing that in print before too long. Between Baez, Mendy, Olt, Bryant, Soler, Castro and others, they're going to set all kinds of strikeout records - but should still have a potent offense in a run-starved league.

Apologies if it's already out there.

Oh, and OT, but as a guy who grew up in the 70's-80's and had lots of friends working at the CBOT, allow me to hang "Johnny Eightball" on Mr. Manziel. Again, apologies if it's already out there. I expect to see it on a Browns road game banner at some point.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 4, 2014 -> 11:01 PM)
Not gonna lie, I LOVE Soler

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Sep 7, 2014 -> 10:59 PM)
Bw-WPbOIIAAFfoJ.jpg

Jorge Soler : “This is my time. Watch me.”

Louie Eljaua, the Cubs director of international operations: "(There were) five Cubans in the All-Star Game. That might have lit a little fire underneath him. He said: ‘Well, I’m as good or better than those guys.’

He definitely looks great, so far, but this all has a too-soon Cubbiness about it that makes me think a measure of patience is needed. The sample size of his terrific run both in the minors and in MLB is beyond tiny, and he hasn't been anywhere long enough for any kind of book to be developed. In two seasons,he's had a MiltonBradleyesque bat wielding incident and been benched for not hustling down the line. He's had four slow-to-recover stints on the DL. Superman, already? This guy might be a bigger prima donna than Puig. Time will tell if he has a similar talent.

Just looking at his stance, positioning and swing I think he's going to be more susceptible than most to sliders down and away from RHP.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

A quick glance at the standings shows the Sox and Cubs within a half a game of each other. I didn't realize it was that close. What's scary is that the Cubs have a deep system and talent being added to what they've got...the Sox, well, don't outside Rodon at this point.

For as "far off" as the Cubs are with this "long rebuild," I'm really not sure the Sox are any closer to the playoffs, and they haven't accomplished anything (playoffs) in the same time frame as this Cubs rebuild anyway.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 03:14 AM)
A quick glance at the standings shows the Sox and Cubs within a half a game of each other. I didn't realize it was that close. What's scary is that the Cubs have a deep system and talent being added to what they've got...the Sox, well, don't outside Rodon at this point.

For as "far off" as the Cubs are with this "long rebuild," I'm really not sure the Sox are any closer to the playoffs, and they haven't accomplished anything (playoffs) in the same time frame as this Cubs rebuild anyway.

Regardless of what both fan bases think, neither team is close to playoff caliber. 2016 is much more realistic time frame for both.

I think the White Sox have more MLB proven talent while the cubs have Rizzo.

Maybe the minor league talent works but you never know. One thing for certain is none of those bats come equipped with above average defensive skill. Pitching and defense win and the cubs lack both.

I think Rodon is the best prospect of both teams as well and a commodity every team in baseball would love to have.

The White Sox have 4 starting LHP something no team can claim to have.....well 3 1/2 with Danks.

The cubs sweep of the White Sox in 2013 was a bad thing for the cub.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 09:43 PM)
Baez and alcantara both with nine homers.....soler's isn't playing very much....seem to be overly cautious with him

I believe he has been injured every year he has been in the minors. Mainly hamstring issues, so they give him a day off every 5th day.