2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
I remember getting into an argument with a Cubs fan teammate back in high school. I asked him what he has to say about the Sox winning a World Series in 2005 while it's been almost 100 years longer since the Cubs did. "Wins don't matter, bro"

Spoken like a true Cubs fan.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
Prince Fielder was making $4M/year with the Tigers according to him.

Also, the Cubs have the best minor league system and are thus setup because they're all sure fire hits. Abreu, Garcia, EJ, Semien, Webb, Davidson, and Eaton are all likely to fail.

And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that meddling internet.

Seriously, can you imagine the days before the internet where you can say s*** like that and people will believe you since they can't easily fact-check?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that meddling internet.

Seriously, can you imagine the days before the internet where you can say s*** like that and people will believe you since they can't easily fact-check?

I can't tell you how often I see people get hung up on things that are so easily google-able. Don't spend more than 60 seconds on any piece of factual information in conversation without pulling out your smartphone and just figuring it out.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 06:28 AM)
Don't worry guys. Baez/Bryant/Almora/Soler are all gonna be stars!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2014 -> 07:51 AM)
You damn right! #hammerheadjohnson aka I want some attention

Jordan4Life aka #numbnuts aka #failedthe6thgrade

Keep my name out your mouth, you herb. Shouldn't you be off somewhere getting clowned mercilessly.

Cubs farm system is STACKED. Deal with it.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:44 PM)
Jordan4Life aka #numbnuts aka #failedthe6thgrade

Keep my name out your mouth, you herb. Shouldn't you be off somewhere getting clowned mercilessly.

Cubs farm system is STACKED. Deal with it.

The problem is that Joe Nobody does not give a s*** about the farm system, and their farm system is just as likely to fail as the Sox young players are. It's not ideal, but at least the Sox, in this situation, are in a position to find out which aspects they need to work on first.

The Cubs are f***ed beyond f*** right now. It's at least 3 years before they sniff .500 and at least 5 years before they are a winner, and it could easily be way, way longer than that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
The problem is that Joe Nobody does not give a s*** about the farm system, and their farm system is just as likely to fail as the Sox young players are. It's not ideal, but at least the Sox, in this situation, are in a position to find out which aspects they need to work on first.

The Cubs are f***ed beyond f*** right now. It's at least 3 years before they sniff .500 and at least 5 years before they are a winner, and it could easily be way, way longer than that.

3 years if things going according to plan... to which I say LMFAO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
3 years if things going according to plan... to which I say LMFAO.

Unless they somehow turn the pitching situation around, 3 years is a complete pipe-dream. Even trading young hitters for young pitchers likely won't be 1-1, more like 2-1 at the best.

Theo's loopholes were closed.

What the Cubs are doing right now reminds me of what the Cleveland Indians did in the late 80s/early 90s.

Albert Belle

Jim Thome

Manny Ramirez

Kenny Lofton

Sandy Alomar Jr

Carlos Baerga

Just a sick collection of offensive talent. So many can't miss prospects

Of course, Charles Nagy is the only notable pitching prospect that they developed during that time period.

The Cubs are gonna have to get really creative in putting together a competent pitching staff, but that doesn't mean I can't admire their collection of hitting talent. If you're a baseball fan, how could you not?

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
What the Cubs are doing right now reminds me of what the Cleveland Indians did in the late 80s/early 90s.

Albert Belle

Jim Thome

Manny Ramirez

Kenny Lofton

Sandy Alomar Jr

Carlos Baerga

Just a sick collection of offensive talent. So many can't miss prospects

Of course, Charles Nagy is the only notable pitching prospect that they developed during that time period.

The Cubs are gonna have to get really creative in putting together a competent pitching staff, but that doesn't mean I can't admire their collection of hitting talent. If you're a baseball fan, how could you not?

The Indians' top 2 prospects heading into the 1991 season? Mark Lewis and Tim Costo.

#3 prospect in 1992? Reggie Jefferson.

#2 and #3 prospects in 1993? Alan Embree and Paul Shuey

Beyond that, the time those guys came up and started producing is spread out like a mofo. Belle was a full time starter in 1991 (with cups of coffee in 89 and 90), Baerga came up full time in 1990, Kenny Lofton was acquired and didn't start until 1992, Thome and Ramirez weren't starters until 1994. They didn't win a division until 1995, which was a good 5-6 years afterwards.

So yeah, if Cubs fans want to wait until 2017 or 2018, sure. Meanwhile, the Sox will have been competing and a competent minor league system for 2-3 years by that point, and St. Louis will have probably won another World Series.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
The Indians' top 2 prospects heading into the 1991 season? Mark Lewis and Tim Costo.

Exactly. Some of those big names are gonna bust, but who knows about the lesser known minor league players that could emerge out of the Cubs system.

I'm not denying that it takes quite a while to recover after hitting rock bottom.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
Exactly. Some of those big names are gonna bust, but who knows about the lesser known minor league players that could emerge out of the Cubs system.

I'm not denying that it takes quite a while to recover after hitting rock bottom.

I'd argue that the Sox hit rock bottom this past year and they seem to be looking OK, on the road to a quick recovery. Having a Chris Sale never hurts, but they had literally nothing offensively and now you can say that they have legitimate pieces to build around.

I just think Theo is going to have to get creative to produce a winner there. Counting on free agency, the minor leagues, and the waiver wire just doesn't seem like it's going to cut it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
I'd argue that the Sox hit rock bottom this past year and they seem to be looking OK, on the road to a quick recovery. Having a Chris Sale never hurts, but they had literally nothing offensively and now you can say that they have legitimate pieces to build around.

I just think Theo is going to have to get creative to produce a winner there. Counting on free agency, the minor leagues, and the waiver wire just doesn't seem like it's going to cut it.

Yeah, I was depressed with the situation this time last year, but bringing in Abreu, Eaton, Davidson, etc has me excited as hell. Hell of a job by Rick Hahn.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
Yeah, I was depressed with the situation this time last year, but bringing in Abreu, Eaton, Davidson, etc has me excited as hell. Hell of a job by Rick Hahn.

I knew that was a caramel and nougat center in there.

They still have a ton of work to do, and I'd agree that, even with the additions the Sox made, the Cubs have a better farm system. That said, I think the Sox are in a better position to compete long term because they can give guys 2 years to show something and if they get nothing but incompetence - Davidson is the biggest risk there in my eyes - they can make a change that much quicker. Assuming Baez starts next year, they're going to have to give him 3 years minimum.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)

Beyond that, the time those guys came up and started producing is spread out like a mofo. Belle was a full time starter in 1991 (with cups of coffee in 89 and 90), Baerga came up full time in 1990, Kenny Lofton was acquired and didn't start until 1992, Thome and Ramirez weren't starters until 1994. They didn't win a division until 1995, which was a good 5-6 years afterwards.

So yeah, if Cubs fans want to wait until 2017 or 2018, sure. Meanwhile, the Sox will have been competing and a competent minor league system for 2-3 years by that point, and St. Louis will have probably won another World Series.

The biggest problem the Cubs have is all the guys in their first wave of prospects took a big step back last year. Hell Theo was already looking to trade Smarj. If the Rizzo/Castro/Smarj wave doesn't become stars, they could be looking at next decade to be competitive.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
Cubs projected with worst record in baseball for 2014

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/cubs-projec...rst-record-2014

67-95? That might turn out to be generous. As of right now I think the cubs could very well lose 100-105 games, I don't think they have bottomed out just yet. Say hello to the #1 pick in the June 2015 draft cub fans.