2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
Yeah, anyone who puts a lot of money into something to make it nice for their customers and to attract business has to be scum.

And it's not like they evicted poor helpless people with nowhere to go from those apartments.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
Yeah, anyone who puts a lot of money into something to make it nice for their customers and to attract business has to be scum.

They did so because they had another business giving them their produt for free.

I could appreciate it as unique 20 years ago when people would be able to legitimately have a BBQ on the roof during a game. Renovations and 100 person plus bleachers? Come on, that's silly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
They did so because they had another business giving them their produt for free.

I could appreciate it as unique 20 years ago when people would be able to legitimately have a BBQ on the roof during a game. Renovations and 100 person plus bleachers? Come on, that's silly.

20 years ago they were doing it for free. They give the Cubs a cut these days. I don't know why a good business idea makes someone scum. Apparently you are against people making a lot of money. Besides, don't kid yourself, the rooftops being filled made it on every telecast with Harry Caray on. Even though they are across the street, just like the weeds covering up brick walls, they have contributed to the mystique of that dump.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
20 years ago they were doing it for free. They give the Cubs a cut these days. I don't know why a good business idea makes someone scum. Apparently you are against people making a lot of money. Besides, don't kid yourself, the rooftops being filled made it on every telecast with Harry Caray on. Even though they are across the street, just like the weeds covering up brick walls, they have contributed to the mystique of that dump.

Every single time the Cubs are on Sunday Night Baseball a reporter does a segment from a rooftop.

Nope. That is what the contracts were about. The Cubs get a chunk of that rooftop money.

I’m curious what the wording in the contract looks like and if there’s actually something in there that says the Cubs *can’t* block their view.

If it just says they have to give the Cubs some percentage of their income and their income drops to 0 because of the signs, should the Cubs really care?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
I’m curious what the wording in the contract looks like and if there’s actually something in there that says the Cubs *can’t* block their view.

If it just says they have to give the Cubs some percentage of their income and their income drops to 0 because of the signs, should the Cubs really care?

I'm sure it doesn't, but to me that doesn't make it OK. If there was no contract, to me it would be fine. There is money put into these businesses with the assumption they will have access to a product for many more years. If the Cubs take that away and make their business worthless, if I'm on that jury, they are going to pay.

Obviously it scares the Cubs they would lose because attorneys' fees defending a lawsuit wouldn't probably cost as much as the paid Scott Baker.

Edited by Dick Allen

When the contract went into place the renovations to become what those buildings are now, took place. They transformed those buildings based on a contract.

A contract which right now is costing those owners a good chunk of money as the ticket value for those events has decreased.

I would expect this leads to some rooftop owner angst.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 1m

Starlin Castro confirmed it would be 7-10 days of rehab for injured Hamstring . Swimming pool and electric stimulation part of the treatment

Sounds like more fun than normal spring training stuff

• 2 weeks later...

I think Baez will be an absolute superstar. I think he'll make enough adjustments to keep a reasonable K rate. Though the pitch he hit last night was about as meaty as meatballs get.

Bryant, OTOH, while having only a slightly higher K rate in MiLB, looks like he could be a K machine in MLB. Not completely sold on that one.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 07:10 AM)
I think Baez will be an absolute superstar. I think he'll make enough adjustments to keep a reasonable K rate. Though the pitch he hit last night was about as meaty as meatballs get.

Bryant, OTOH, while having only a slightly higher K rate in MiLB, looks like he could be a K machine in MLB. Not completely sold on that one.

Oh see, I'm more convinced about Bryant than Baez. I think Almora is the most likely to not bust. He plays great defense in CF. Baez will have insane power at a MI spot but may struggle with the obp and BA. Soler could be the bust of the group. Bryant I think will be a superstar though.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Baez needs to find a position. He is not a middle infielder

His butt is already bigger than every shortstop in MLB, possibly excepting Tulo. That won't play there.

Much, much higher bust risk with Baez. He could potentially never start in the MLB at this point with that K rate and atrocious defense.

Bryant has every bit as much ceiling and is ready enough that he'll at least get a very long MLB trial run.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
Much, much higher bust risk with Baez. He could potentially never start in the MLB at this point with that K rate and atrocious defense.

Bryant has every bit as much ceiling and is ready enough that he'll at least get a very long MLB trial run.

I disagree. Time will tell. I'll give you he may have a higher floor than Baez.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
http://grantland.com/features/chicago-cubs...x-theo-epstein/

Cubs slobknobbin.

That exploiting of hitters and pitchers sounds well and nice, but acquiring good pitchers isn't that easy.

People want to talk about rainbows and unicorns during spring training, that might the worst I have ever seen.