2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 05:43 PM)
I think they thought the team would generate just as much revenue during the extended rebuild

I think to a large extent you are right. Historically they have drawn well even when bad. I also think they thought they would be back to the 80-85 win range by now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 08:06 PM)
I think to a large extent you are right. Historically they have drawn well even when bad. I also think they thought they would be back to the 80-85 win range by now.

Disagree. I always heard 2015 as the realistic date to start winning. It doesn't do them any good to win between 80-85 games. If they said that then it is lip service. They want high draft picks. They probably wish that they were bad enough to pick 1st instead of 4th this year. I don't really understand why people think the plan isn't working. They need pitching but they are loaded with some of the best hitting prospects in the game. I do think that Epstein undervalued how bad their farm system was though. They had pretty much nothing in the system when he took over other than Baez and Vogelbach. They will be godawful this year and hope that Castro and Rizzo are better. Cubs fans will most likely see Bryant and Baez this year too. I would say that next year (2015) will be the year that they hope to be around .500 and traject upward from that point. If the stadium gets done and they get a new tv deal they will be back spending in the $150 million range. This year will most likely be rough for the major league team though. Real rough.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)
Disagree. I always heard 2015 as the realistic date to start winning. It doesn't do them any good to win between 80-85 games. If they said that then it is lip service. They want high draft picks. They probably wish that they were bad enough to pick 1st instead of 4th this year. I don't really understand why people think the plan isn't working. They need pitching but they are loaded with some of the best hitting prospects in the game. I do think that Epstein undervalued how bad their farm system was though. They had pretty much nothing in the system when he took over other than Baez and Vogelbach. They will be godawful this year and hope that Castro and Rizzo are better. Cubs fans will most likely see Bryant and Baez this year too. I would say that next year (2015) will be the year that they hope to be around .500 and traject upward from that point. If the stadium gets done and they get a new tv deal they will be back spending in the $150 million range. This year will most likely be rough for the major league team though. Real rough.

To me, that's burying the lead. That's a major, major issue that isn't magically fixed. Also, the Rizzo and Castro regressions have to be of some concern. Obviously one regressed year doesn't spell doom for a propspect, but until there's a bounce back it has to be a concern.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
To me, that's burying the lead. That's a major, major issue that isn't magically fixed. Also, the Rizzo and Castro regressions have to be of some concern. Obviously one regressed year doesn't spell doom for a propspect, but until there's a bounce back it has to be a concern.

Obviously it's a big concern. But they don't expect to win yet regardless. Their fans shouldn't either.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)

Two big reasons why the plan isn't working you kind of went right around. The first guys up are regressing, and they have no pitching in the system what so ever. They are also being handicapped by the new spending rules, both in the draft and internationally, which is what Theo was best at exploiting. The other one they closed on him is all of the comp picks the BoSox used to get.

Add on top of that, Cub fans are FINALLY getting sick of losing, and that is recipe for a long time of problems. I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg on the northside. For every optimistic Cub post about how they have all of these guy in the minors who can help them, it is just as easy to point to the 2000 White Sox minor league system with the obvious caveat about how many of these guys WILL fail, not can fail, not might fail, but WILL FAIL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
Two big reasons why the plan isn't working you kind of went right around. The first guys up are regressing, and they have no pitching in the system what so ever. They are also being handicapped by the new spending rules, both in the draft and internationally, which is what Theo was best at exploiting. The other one they closed on him is all of the comp picks the BoSox used to get.

Add on top of that, Cub fans are FINALLY getting sick of losing, and that is recipe for a long time of problems. I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg on the northside. For every optimistic Cub post about how they have all of these guy in the minors who can help them, it is just as easy to point to the 2000 White Sox minor league system with the obvious caveat about how many of these guys WILL fail, not can fail, not might fail, but WILL FAIL.

CJ Edwards and Pierce Johnson are both good pitching prospects. You are right that it isn't nearly enough though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
Add on top of that, Cub fans are FINALLY getting sick of losing

I think a lot of them started giving up after the 2008 season. The 100 year anniversary combined with getting swept out of the post-season for the 2nd year in a row really turned a lot of fans away. It's just been getting worse ever since.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
I think a lot of them started giving up after the 2008 season. The 100 year anniversary combined with getting swept out of the post-season for the 2nd year in a row really turned a lot of fans away. It's just been getting worse ever since.

I like to think it started with the Sox winning the World Series.

The 800lb gorilla in the corner as has been pointed out and is the the overriding theme is the debt that the team holds and is responsible for paying down via cash flow.

Rebuilding the way they have is great but a couple of things that may have been missed in translation.

The northside renaissance has cooled in that while it is still a very unique and cool place and charm of the city, the cubs have worn out their welcome to a degree. Fans still want to see the Kerry Wood, Sammy Sosa, decent looking chicks, etc. They priced themselves out of the experience and now there is more entertainment. Street fairs and bars are all over the place up there now as opposed to the mid-90's. Traffic and congestion along with the price tag are no longer the draw they once were.

Sunk cost and lower revenue are hurting them there.

In regard to television contracts. You have Comcast and Fox going toe to toe here. The cubs have a network and it is network that should offer the same if not more than a single agreement. Offering time on the Blackhawks, Bulls and White Sox along with the cubs should have some benefit.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
I like to think it started with the Sox winning the World Series.

If anything, that helped ramp up their excitement even more. It seemed like from 2003 to 2008 they had some reason to believe it was going to be "their" year. From blowing up the bartman ball to the Red Sox and White Sox ending their streaks to the 100 year anniversary and "It's gonna happen".

They finally started to realize that no matter what reason you come up with for this year to be THE year, you actually need a good team and a little bit of luck to go along with it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
I am crying laughing so hard at this.

http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsnet-airs...with-1501633812?

utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I just did the same thing. I watched this on my tablet with the earphones in while watching a horror movie on TV with my lady. I started laughing and my lady looked at me like I was crazy.

I can hear Adam Sandler's voice when I watched the link " hey Clark, show mamma your cock and balls".

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
Need pitching, but sign Edwin Jackson and trade Garza, Dempster while trying to trade Samardzija

Would you sign those guys? The Jackson signing was questionable but trading Garza and Dempster was smart. Older guys that won't be good when Cubs are ready to win. I'd trade Samardzija as well because he's overrated, is 29 already, and wants a ton of money. This argument is lazy.