Chase Headley

GREEDY

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)
Then the Padres won't trade him. If they can't get something like that, they will hold him to the deadline and see if he has a big first half in a contract year or just take the draft pick next offseason.

So it's either a Jose Quintana type return or simply taking a draft pick? That's a pretty wide range of outcomes for there to be no potential middle ground.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)
So it's either a Jose Quintana type return or simply taking a draft pick? That's a pretty wide range of outcomes for there to be no potential middle ground.

I did include "hold him til the deadline" in there as well. And people are drooling over extra first round picks these days.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)
Oh boy Freese is a whole 11 months older. And Freese was hurt last year, he has been a slightly above average the rest of his career.

Headley is a 3B who will make around $9M next year who has posted an OPS over .775 once in his career. I'll pass. His 2010 season of .264/.327/.375 wasn't mediocre by the way? He's had 1 really good season (2012) and 1 season that was a little above average (2011), the rest of his career has been average at best.

And Busch is just as bad for hitters as Petco for whoever used that excuse, actually its worse for home runs. http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/order/false

Cardinals really didn't have home run hitters playing though. And Headley still hit 31 home runs. Freese at most his 20?

Headley was hurt last year too

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:23 PM)
Cardinals really didn't have home run hitters playing though. And Headley still hit 31 home runs. Freese at most his 20?

Headley was hurt last year too

Oh yeah, cause the Padres team is just full of sluggers....the whole NL west besides the Dodgers for 1/2 a season stinks too.

I'm not sure how I keep coming off as a big David Freese lover on this board.....I see Headley as a slight upgrade to Freese who makes $5M more next year. And it would have taken less to get Freese as far as team resources. Doesn't seem like a crazy idea to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 08:20 PM)
I did include "hold him til the deadline" in there as well. And people are drooling over extra first round picks these days.

And teams should be drooling over 25 year old, left-handed starters with 5 years of team control and coming off a 3.7 WAR season. But a late 1st round draft is almost as valuable.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
Oh boy Freese is a whole 11 months older. And Freese was hurt last year, he has been a slightly above average the rest of his career.

Headley is a 3B who will make around $9M next year who has posted an OPS over .775 once in his career. I'll pass. His 2010 season of .264/.327/.375 wasn't mediocre by the way? He's had 1 really good season (2012) and 1 season that was a little above average (2011), the rest of his career has been average at best.

And Busch is just as bad for hitters as Petco for whoever used that excuse, actually its worse for home runs. http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/order/false

So we are just completely ignoring the opposite ends of the defensive spectrum that these guys fall on?

K, got it.

Edited by Chilihead90

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...ley-if-they-pay

Dan Hayes mentions the White Sox longstanding interest in Chase Headley. San Diego wants Quintana in return. What does everyone think? Quintana is a very important part of the White Sox future but I could get Chase Headley with an extension along with Yasmani Grandal, I think I could part with Quintana and a young reliever. Any thoughts guys?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)

Dan Hayes mentions the White Sox longstanding interest in Chase Headley. San Diego wants Quintana in return. What does everyone think? Quintana is a very important part of the White Sox future but I could get Chase Headley with an extension along with Yasmani Grandal, I think I could part with Quintana and a young reliever. Any thoughts guys?

Headley plus an extension along with Grandal would cost more than Quintana. I'd be ecstatic to acquire both of them, but more pieces would have to go to San Diego. It would lock down 3B and C for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 08:34 PM)
Headley plus an extension along with Grandal would cost more than Quintana. I'd be ecstatic to acquire both of them, but more pieces would have to go to San Diego. It would lock down 3B and C for the foreseeable future.

I completely agree. Would something like Nate Jones be enough of a sweetener or are we talking more than that still? Grandal should be available with Meadows in the pipeline though.

Also, mods do you want to merge this thread with the Headley stuff from the trade talks thread? I didn't realize people were talking about it in there when I added to this one.

Trading Quintana for Headley would be a horrible move IMO, even if he agreed to an extension since you're probably talking about at least 5 years at $15M per season. If you trade Quintana, it's got to be for a young, cost-controlled bat, someone like Castro, where you retain most of your surplus value while filling a major need. Glad to see that Hahn agrees with that logic.

I'd still love to get Headley, but the price would have to come down quite a bit for a deal to make sense for us.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
Trading Quintana for Headley would be a horrible move IMO, even if he agreed to an extension since you're probably talking about at least 5 years at $15M per season. If you trade Quintana, it's got to be for a young, cost-controlled bat, someone like Castro, where you retain most of your surplus value while filling a major need. Glad to see that Hahn agrees with that logic.

I'd still love to get Headley, but the price would have to come down quite a bit for a deal to make sense for us.

Jason Castro has 3 years of control left. I'm not 100% sold on him. We'd be buying high. I'd much rather go after Grandal if he's available. I think he's a better overall player and has 5 years of control left.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)

Castro for Quintana? No thanks. Shoot for Rosario at that point

Maybe a good move for Hahn would be to tell all the other 29 teams that he'll listen on Q if they want to bowl him over. Let him take in a couple offers & then get back to the Pads and be like "See these other offers? See how your offer is s*** in comparison? Now you either get serious or GTFO. I ain't playing games homie."

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 08:47 PM)
Makes sense Sox want Headley. I really don't want to part with Quintana unless we can somehow get Tanaka.

I would do Santiago, Jones, Beck, Thompson and Snodgrass for Headley and Grandal

This I would be ok with and I find fair, especially because putting Hector, Jones, and Beck into Petco will only make them better.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 11:26 PM)
This I would be ok with and I find fair, especially because putting Hector, Jones, and Beck into Petco will only make them better.

I would be good with that package, and I would also be good with Quintana + Reed for Headley (w/ extension) and Grandal. I don't think Quintana should be untouchable if we are getting Headley (w/ extension) AND Grandal. Without Grandal we'd have to get a couple of their top prospects.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 06:31 PM)

If we get both guys and extend Headley to a fair contract, then I'd be willing to consider using Quintana as the key piece. Most of my trades start with dangling Hector.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 07:07 AM)
If we get both guys and extend Headley to a fair contract, then I'd be willing to consider using Quintana as the key piece. Most of my trades start with dangling Hector.

It wouldn't surprise me if this happened. There are still a few decent SP on the FA market. Hahn could use Quintana to shore up C and 3B, and then go sign another starter.