Rule 5 decisions coming soon

southsider2k5

see more at link

http://southsideshowdown.com/2013/11/19/ru...ons-coming-due/

Brandon Jacobs & Trayce Thompson – OF

Two high school draftees that have been around for a while and have name recognition, but it would take a lot of liquor, and then some sadism, for anyone to submit these two to major league pitching after the seasons they just finished at Double-A. Hysterical contact issues for both.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There really isn't anyone in the Sox system not on the 40-man roster that I'd be concerned could go in the major league portion of the draft.

There are some AA guys who I could see going in the AAA phase (Thompson and Jacobs, as well as Wilkins, Black and a few others), if they aren't on the AAA reserve list. But I'd imagine all of them are on those large reserve lists, so I don't see it happening anyway.

I forgot about Carlos Sanchez - he I would worry about maybe getting picked up, though still not a strong likelihood. But he is too important to leave unprotected. I'd definitely add him to the 40, possibly Thompson and Jacobs too. Drop Mike McDade. The 40 man is 36 right now, my moves would make it 36 to 38. Drop Heath and it is 35/37.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
Sanchez was bad last year so it's pretty unlikely that any team will award him an MLB roster spot.

I think someone would pick him up. Quick, versatile, middle infielder with good bat control who is super young? I think he'd be gone in a second.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
I think someone would pick him up. Quick, versatile, middle infielder with good bat control who is super young? I think he'd be gone in a second.

But to keep on their big league roster for the full year? That's a stretch to me. Maybe the fact that he could be a utility guy would help, but putting him on the big league roster at age 22 when he clearly needs AAA level at bats would seem like a pretty poor move by any team that claimed him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
But to keep on their big league roster for the full year? That's a stretch to me. Maybe the fact that he could be a utility guy would help, but putting him on the big league roster at age 22 when he clearly needs AAA level at bats would seem like a pretty poor move by any team that claimed him.

For a team like the Astros or Marlins? I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. If you think his ceiling is, say, .300/.350/.400 and he can play a serviceable 2B or SS in the future, you can stash him as a 2B/SS/3B utility guy and let him struggle to the tune of a .225/.275/.300 season so long as he's getting ABs and getting better.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
For a team like the Astros or Marlins? I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. If you think his ceiling is, say, .300/.350/.400 and he can play a serviceable 2B or SS in the future, you can stash him as a 2B/SS/3B utility guy and let him struggle to the tune of a .225/.275/.300 season so long as he's getting ABs and getting better.

Yeah, those teams would definitely be a threat to take him. There seems to be plenty of room on the 40 man. I just wonder how good someone really can be at this point if they can't basically "make" the White Sox 40 man.

Also if Hahn is making trades, you would think there could be some 2 for 1 s or 3 for 2s opening up a space. Maybe he pulls the trigger on something and makes some more room that way.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
For argument's sake, if we went into next year with the infield as is (Beckham-Alexei-Gillaspinger), aside from Semien, Sanchez has to be the next guy that gets the nod as far as infielders.

You're forgetting Leury Garcia

Carlos Sanchez is indeed eligible.

The rules are about when you sign, at what age, and when the Rule V draft occurs.

If a player is signed at 18 or younger, they get to "skip" 4 Rule V drafts, and are eligible in the 5th. For Sanchez, he signed in 2009 at 17. There were Rule V drafts he "skipped" in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. Now in 2013 he is eligible.

For players signed at 19 or older, it is "skip" 3 and eligible on the 4th.

Also remember, people are focused on the major league portion here - where a player would have to be taken (paid for) and kept on the 25 man roster for the full season at the major league level. There are also AAA and AA phases, where players are occasionally taken - but teams can protect their guys on "reserve lists" for AAA and AA, which have about 35 guys on each. Guys like Sanchez, Thompson, Jacobs, heck even Wilkins or Black types, will be on those reserve lists. So they can be taken in the major league portion, but not the minor league phases.

QUOTE (midway @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
I just looked at the Sox 40 man roster and found a few names that could be gone....Brent Morel {please}, Blake Tekotte {Minor League roster filler at best},Frank De Los Santos and please, please dump Dylan Axelrod {I can't watch him pitch one more inning without throwing up!!!

There's no need to get rid of Dylan Axelrod at this point. He might be the 7th or 8th best option in the rotation right now and the 10th or 11th best in the bullpen, but he's an arm with MLB experience that they can still stash in the minors. If they need a quick call up for a spot start, he makes the most sense of any player in the organization right now.

Also, the Sox just acquired Frank De Los Santos. I doubt he's going anywhere at this point.

QUOTE (midway @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
I just looked at the Sox 40 man roster and found a few names that could be gone....Brent Morel {please}, Blake Tekotte {Minor League roster filler at best},Frank De Los Santos and please, please dump Dylan Axelrod {I can't watch him pitch one more inning without throwing up!!!

The Sox aren't going to dump people just because they are unpopular with teh fans.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
The Sox aren't going to dump people just because they are unpopular with teh fans.

It was wishful thinking on my part.....thank God I never see anyone bashing Dunn, ADA or Flowers on this board!! Maybe they can trade the Axe for something, anything, lol!!

QUOTE (midway @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
It was wishful thinking on my part.....thank God I never see anyone bashing Dunn, ADA or Flowers on this board!! Maybe they can trade the Axe for something, anything, lol!!

People can bash all they want. But if a franchise is making moves based on what fans feel is desirable, they need to be contracted.