Rule 5 decisions coming soon

southsider2k5

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/403252792615112704

Anybody know anything about Elmore?

Looks like a future utility player with an outside chance to start. Not a lot of power, but good bat control and good eye at the plate. A little bit of speed. Had a phenomenal season in 2012 with Arizona's AAA team, but much of that was due to a .344 average. In 2400+ minor league plate appearances, he has 17 home runs.

In the majors he played primarily SS, but made at least one appearance at every single position this year with the Astros.

The Elmore move seems... odd. There is really only one area of position players the Sox org has some signifncant talent depth, you've got one too many infielders on the MLB team already, plus Leury Garcia, Marcus Semien and Carlos Sanchez. And guys like Anderson and Johnson in the lower minors. But we are claiming Elmore?

Just as word that we were after Johnson for pitching depth indicates something, I keep thinking this also indicates something, like we are also likely to trade an infielder or two.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
The Elmore move seems... odd. There is really only one area of position players the Sox org has some signifncant talent depth, you've got one too many infielders on the MLB team already, plus Leury Garcia, Marcus Semien and Carlos Sanchez. And guys like Anderson and Johnson in the lower minors. But we are claiming Elmore?

Just as word that we were after Johnson for pitching depth indicates something, I keep thinking this also indicates something, like we are also likely to trade an infielder or two.

I think there's some smoke here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)

Maybe, but if Konerko comes back, they probably need someone who can play the infield and the outfield. This could be sprimg training competition for Leury Garcia.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
Could this mean we are trying to find a taker for Kepp and Elmore takes his spot?

That makes a lot of sense actually. Although, then the Sox really don't have a veteran presence off the bench. IDK if that is necessarily important, but I'm not sure how I feel of a bunch of young players making up the bench.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
That makes a lot of sense actually. Although, then the Sox really don't have a veteran presence off the bench. IDK if that is necessarily important, but I'm not sure how I feel of a bunch of young players making up the bench.

Carlos Sanchez is the 3rd leading hitter in the Venezeulan Winter League. .361 BA 119 AB 43 hits, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 1 HR, 13 BB , 20 K , .434 OBP , .437 SLG, .871 OPS http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?po...&pid=570560

Andy Wilkins there also doing well http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?po...&pid=519421

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
Carlos Sanchez is the 3rd leading hitter in the Venezeulan Winter League. .361 BA 119 AB 43 hits, 2 doubles, 2 triples, 1 HR, 13 BB , 20 K , .434 OBP , .437 SLG, .871 OPS http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?po...&pid=570560

Andy Wilkins there also doing well http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?po...&pid=519421

But Sanchez doesn't belong on the bench, he's still so young and needs to be playing everyday. And Wilkins is completely limited to 1B, which is the one position the Sox don't need at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilkins claimed in the Rule V, considering McGuiness got claimed last year with similar numbers.

Anyone have any clue as to why McDade and Heath are still on the 40-man? You can't tell me the Sox can't find a better option than either of those two in the minor league FA pool...

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
But Sanchez doesn't belong on the bench, he's still so young and needs to be playing everyday. And Wilkins is completely limited to 1B, which is the one position the Sox don't need at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilkins claimed in the Rule V, considering McGuiness got claimed last year with similar numbers.

Anyone have any clue as to why McDade and Heath are still on the 40-man? You can't tell me the Sox can't find a better option than either of those two in the minor league FA pool...

I only mention Sanchez because his season in the minors had many discouraged about him. I don't know the level of play in the Venezuelan League, perhaps it is High A or double AA and Sanchez is still primarily a singles hitter but nice to see him doing well and maybe he can rebound this season in the minors.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)
I only mention Sanchez because his season in the minors had many discouraged about him. I don't know the level of play in the Venezuelan League, perhaps it is High A or double AA and Sanchez is still primarily a singles hitter but nice to see him doing well and maybe he can rebound this season in the minors.

I never did understand all the discouraging opinions on Sanchez. He was barely 21 and in Triple-A. Who wouldn't expect him to struggle? It's nice to see him have a decent stat line though. I honestly have no clue either as to what the level of competition is compared to in the Venezuelan League, but I bet you are probably right with your assessment. I always think of him as a future Nick Punto-type player for the Sox.

Sanchez started last season in AAA at age 20, and he was the youngest player in his entire league on Opening Day. That after going up three levels the year before. Anything beyond completely embarrassing himself was a win. He's still a T10 prospect in this organization, and he needs every day AB's somewhere in 2014.

I do wonder why Mike McDade is taking up a 40 man slot. I'd honestly rather have protected Wilkins, or even Dan Black, as opposed to a re-tread like McDade.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
Rule 5 draft top players

Says Whitesox might draft Astros Catcher Carlos Perez #3 overall

Makes a ton of sense honestly.

Carlos Perez, c, Astros: Perez passed through the Rule 5 draft last year, but there’s a greater chance someone might roll the dice on him this time. Perez could be a fit for a rebuilding team with an established everyday catcher like, well . . . the Astros.

But given that Houston called up Max Stassi from Double-A and minor league veterans Cody Clark and Matt Pagnozzi late in the 2013 season, it wasn’t too much of a surprise that the Astros left Perez exposed. Perez, who turned 23 last month, is a dependable catcher who moves well behind the plate, blocks well and earns praise for how he handles a pitching staff. His arm is average and he gets rid of the ball quickly, helping him erase an impressive 47 percent of basestealers last year in Triple-A Oklahoma City.

The question scouts have on Perez is his offense. His bat speed is below-average, he has minimal power and his swing can get long. But Perez doesn’t swing and miss much and he controls the strike zone, which helped him hit a respectable .269/.328/.345 with 25 walks and 39 strikeouts in 75 games in Triple-A. If the power develops, he could be an everyday catcher, but he should at least get a chance in a backup role. When Perez originally signed with the Blue Jays out of Venezuela at age 17, Marco Paddy was Toronto’s top scout in Latin America. Paddy now runs the White Sox’s international operations as a special assistant to the general manager, and with Tyler Flowers and Josh Phegley, the organization could look for additional depth. The White Sox have the third pick in the Rule 5 draft (and the Astros are at No. 1), so Perez could go off the board early.

Hatley and Colvin are interesting. Colvin was a big prospect and needs a new set of eyes to fix him. Either of those guys could serve in the swing role this season and probably provide better value than the fillers that Hahn will have to sign to fill out the bullpen.

Perez would be an upgrade defensively and its hard to imagine he could be much of a downgrade offensively.

That leaves the Sox room to make a pick.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...rticle_64079778

CHICAGO -- The White Sox raised their 40-man roster total to 39 by purchasing the contracts of infielder Carlos Sanchez and outfielder Trayce Thompson from Triple-A Charlotte on Wednesday and claiming infielder Jake Elmore off of waivers from the Astros.

Adding Sanchez and Thompson came before the 11 p.m. CT deadline Wednesday for setting the 40-man roster prior to the Rule 5 Draft scheduled for the last day of baseball's Winter Meetings in Orlando, Fla., on Dec. 12. Players first signed at age 18 must be added to 40-man rosters within five seasons or they become eligible to be drafted by other organizations through the Rule 5 process.