Paul Konerko Returning to White Sox

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 2m

Konerko was told that he would be a DH verses some Left handed pitching and help Abreau as a backup at first . Contract $2.5

That's 200-250 plate appearances barring injuries to either Dunn or Abreu.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 13m

One factor making Paul Konerko's decision to play for $2.5 million in '14 not as surprising. He deferred $7 m of $13.5 m salary last year.

Kerry Sayers ‏@kerrysayers 17m

Our 670 the Score insider @MLBBruceLevine reporting Paul Konerko's deal is for 1 yr, $2.5 million with $1 Million deferred

Konerko was told that he would be a DH verses some Left handed pitching and help Abreau as a backup at first . Contract $2.5

That makes the most sense. And if they can resolve the other bench issues and maybe get rid of Keppinger, it actually looks like a good move to me. Giving Abreu a 120-130 game slate instead of 150 is probably a good idea in his first year, plus he can learn from Paulie. Paulie rakes lefties, Dunn doesn't. In a vacuum at 1B/DH, it is pretty perfect.

Levine has consistently misspelled Abreu. Cubs fan.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
Because he is a plus defender for at least 2 skill IF positions and possibly a third, he's young and cheap, and needs more time to develop the bat. Also has plus speed, can PR well.

Why don't you like him? He's pretty much the ideal utility IF.

I don't know. I guess every team needs a Ramon Santiago.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 3m

Konerko: “I’m looking forward to coming back in a new role ...

'where I can help the organization and teammates get turned around in the right direction and also do some productive things on the field.'

GM Hahn: Paul will play an important role by collecting at-bats as the DH against certain left-handed pitching ..

.. "and as an incredibly important mentor and leader within our clubhouse.”

..assisting Abreu’s transition into role of primary first baseman, as an option for Robin off the bench in specific game situations ...

I don't really have a problem with this. It'll look even better if a trade or two is made sending Keppinger and/or Dunn somewhere. I have to think there will be some moves made next week.

Overall, the money certainly isn't an issue. The issue will be the roster spot, but hopefully that is taken care of soon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 3m

Konerko: “I’m looking forward to coming back in a new role ...

'where I can help the organization and teammates get turned around in the right direction and also do some productive things on the field.'

GM Hahn: Paul will play an important role by collecting at-bats as the DH against certain left-handed pitching ..

.. "and as an incredibly important mentor and leader within our clubhouse.”

..assisting Abreu’s transition into role of primary first baseman, as an option for Robin off the bench in specific game situations ...

I'm liking the game plan.

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
its highly unlikely we're competing, let the man leave on his terms and have a farewell after all he has done

Emotionally, I'm in agreement.

As a baseball move, it's kind of ridiculous to bring back a 38-year-old coming off a bad season for a 99-loss team---with a logjam at DH/1B.

At the end of the day, the Sox aren't making the playoffs next year anyway, so I'm not unhappy...especially if Dunn gets moved.

If Abreu struggles in ST, it gives the Sox of having him go the same route as Viciedo and Puig of getting some success in the minors before coming up. The Sox could start him in AA and have him work his way up to the majors by June as he adjusts to American baseball. In the meantime they can work on dumping Dunn in a deal.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 10:16 AM)
If Abreu struggles in ST, it gives the Sox of having him go the same route as Viciedo and Puig of getting some success in the minors before coming up. The Sox could start him in AA and have him work his way up to the majors by June as he adjusts to American baseball. In the meantime they can work on dumping Dunn in a deal.

You don't give someone $68 million to play in the minors, even if just to adjust. He is 100% making the roster.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 10:16 AM)

Abreu would have to be completely outmatched in ST for him to go down to Charlotte. If that happens, we're so f'd.