Baseball winter meetings thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
Some say we are in for Juan Uribe and Scott says we arent.....honestly I thought that was what Kenny was originally was talking about

According to a Enrique Rojas tweet, we have offered a 2 year deal and the Dodgers are just offering 1 year an option and Uribe will decide soon

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
According to a Enrique Rojas tweet, we have offered a 2 year deal and the Dodgers are just offering 1 year an option and Uribe will decide soon

What makes Enrique Rojas more connected to the situation than Scott Merkin?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)

Thats kind of the problem

Although in his defense....it kind of sounded like scott was just making an assumption because of the current model we are going off of

Edited by Baron

His latin american sources. Also Scott Merkin isn't suppose to be revealing White Sox plans or offers, hes the beat writer.

I bet Rojas is being fed info by the agent while Merkin is getting it from the team. The agent is trying to get LA to commit a second year for Uribe.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
His latin american sources. Also Scott Merkin isn't suppose to be revealing White Sox plans or offers, hes the beat writer.

But then see these.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 23s

Heard this morning White Sox were close on something and that could be the three-way deal mentioned by @keithlaw

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 26s

As I said last night, the White Sox are not in on Juan Uribe. Entertaining guy, great teammate. Doesn't fit their plan right now

And I see a guy who is more than willing to diverge some details. I also don't see what Latin American sources would have insight into this situation.

I don't think the Sox are in on Uribe whatsoever.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
But then see these.

And I see a guy who is more than willing to diverge some details. I also don't see what Latin American sources would have insight into this situation.

I don't think the Sox are in on Uribe whatsoever.

He didn't mention the 3-team rumor until Keith Law broke it. It indicates he was withholding the information until it hit twitter.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
He didn't mention the 3-team rumor until Keith Law broke it. It indicates he was withholding the information until it hit twitter.

That's the point though, he's not denying it. The Sox are also not an organization that lies. They will mislead the hell out of you, but if the beat writer says "the Sox are not in on Juan Uribe," then I have to believe they are not in on Juan Uribe.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 3m

Have been told at this point #WhiteSox-Angels-Dbacks talks are in preliminary stages but are definitely on going.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1m

Also was told at this point there are a bunch of contingencies, moving parts in the talks. #WhiteSox

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
That's the point though, he's not denying it. The Sox are also not an organization that lies. They will mislead the hell out of you, but if the beat writer says "the Sox are not in on Juan Uribe," then I have to believe they are not in on Juan Uribe.

True! I hope your right, it wouldn't be a move that would make much sense for the future.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 3m

Have been told at this point #WhiteSox-Angels-Dbacks talks are in preliminary stages but are definitely on going.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1m

Also was told at this point there are a bunch of contingencies, moving parts in the talks. #WhiteSox

I love baseball rumors!

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
I still think Hector is a little high a price for Easton. I say Danks =$$ instead.

Hector spending a little time above his promised land last year.......and Eaton spending a little time below it last year......

........is why we even have a shot at this. I'm on board. Do it. LHP is a surplus, and we have a need for a ready-now guy with great ceiling.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 38s

Young Eaton makes sense. Older Howie does not. RT @BillShaikin: Angels tried to get Santiago for Kendrick; no go. Now trying 3-way deal.

Angels have had a lot of low OBP players, just like the Sox, over the years.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
Hector spending a little time above his promised land last year.......and Eaton spending a little time below it last year......

........is why we even have a shot at this. I'm on board. Do it. LHP is a surplus, and we have a need for a ready-now guy with great ceiling.

Yeah I don't have a problem with it. Santiago seems to have maxed out his talents. He was serviceable last year in the rotation, but let's not pretend he's a frontline starter.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 06:32 PM)
Yeah I don't have a problem with it. Santiago seems to have maxed out his talents. He was serviceable last year in the rotation, but let's not pretend he's a frontline starter.

Maxed out his talents? For being bounced around last year, I'd be excited to see future improvement from him with a full year in the rotation. For all this talk about the Sox going young to get Eaton, it sure seems like getting rid of a young pitcher in Santiago could be counterproductive.