Baseball winter meetings thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
Kendrick gets $9.35M in 2014 & $9.5M in 2015

We move him then right? Still go with Semien?

Man I hope not! Kendrick is what we hoped Beckham could be as a hitter. I have been a Kendrick fan for a long time. With Eaton leading off and Kendrick batting second that line up looks much better to me and I don't think Hahn will be done. I can see Viciedo ending up at DH and Dunn gone.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
When Nightengale speaks, I listen. He's the best.

Sure is, when he tweets something he is 100% before and when he does it usually happens. He is about as reliable as a writer can be these days with twitter, texts, and all that which GMa use to generate interest and whatever.

I'm still holding out hope for Howie, or Conger now that he has been mentioned.

I just don't see how LA gets Santiago, Skaggs, and Cahill. AZ get Trumbo plus 2 prospects and we get Eaton. Something is coming back, it's a matter of what and how significant. Howie or conger would be a hell of a deal, and I would be beyond excited

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

There has been nothing in the rumors that the Sox are receiving anything beyond Eaton. Lots of names thrown around that could be, but nothing indicating it is more than Eaton. I think it is on the low side, but probably not crazy. Really depends if the prospect is actually good or more of a throw in.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
I'm still holding out hope for Howie, or Conger now that he has been mentioned.

I just don't see how LA gets Santiago, Skaggs, and Cahill. AZ get Trumbo plus 2 prospects and we get Eaton. Something is coming back, it's a matter of what and how significant. Howie or conger would be a hell of a deal, and I would be beyond excited

Seriously, damn well better get Davidson, Owings, Conger, or Kendrick.

The scouting report on Eaton suggests that his best skill is getting on base. However, he has yet to prove that at the MLB level.

If is not successful at that, he is nothing more than a fourth outfielder. He lacks the speed and skill to stick in CF. He lacks the power to be a corner outfielder, and he also does not have the arm for RF. Even if he can get on base, he is not a real threat to steal, to make him an ideal lead off hitter.

With his skill set, if he were a proven player in the big leagues, he might be worth Santiago. But, he is still only a prospect.

Please don't tell me that he is all the Sox are going to get for Santiago, plus a prospect!!!

The fact that he bats left handed is not significant, in that our need is for a LH hitting, middle of the order guy.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
The scouting report on Eaton suggests that his best skill is getting on base. However, he has yet to prove that at the MLB level.

If is not successful at that, he is nothing more than a fourth outfielder. He lacks the speed and skill to stick in CF. He lacks the power to be a corner outfielder, and he also does not have the arm for RF. Even if he can get on base, he is not a real threat to steal, to make him an ideal lead off hitter.

With his skill set, if he were a proven player in the big leagues, he might be worth Santiago. But, he is still only a prospect.

Please don't tell me that he is all the Sox are going to get for Santiago, plus a prospect!!!

The fact that he bats left handed is not significant, in that our need is for a LH hitting, middle of the order guy.

He's no Grady Sizemore, that's for sure.

BUT HE IS LEFT HANDED.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)

Lacks speed? He stole 44 bags in 130 games in the minor leagues.

All this coming from the guy who wants Grady Sizemore to play CF after a million knee operations.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
Lacks speed? He stole 44 bags in 130 games in the minor leagues.

Bro, he's not Grady Sizemore.

Meanwhile...

TUESDAY: A team that spoke to the Phillies about Brown informed ESPN's Jayson Stark that Philadelphia doesn't sound enthused about the idea of moving Brown and is looking for two to three young players in return (Twitter link)

MONDAY: The Phillies are "actively shopping" Domonic Brown with an eye toward selling high on him in an effort to acquire controllable young pitching, reports Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter).

Dayan, Beck, Rienzo/Snodgress, and Hawkins? Could that be a thing?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
Bro, he's not Grady Sizemore.

Meanwhile...

TUESDAY: A team that spoke to the Phillies about Brown informed ESPN's Jayson Stark that Philadelphia doesn't sound enthused about the idea of moving Brown and is looking for two to three young players in return (Twitter link)

MONDAY: The Phillies are "actively shopping" Domonic Brown with an eye toward selling high on him in an effort to acquire controllable young pitching, reports Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter).

Dayan, Beck, Rienzo/Snodgress, and Hawkins? Could that be a thing?

I don't think you want that to be a thing.