Baseball winter meetings thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
Bro, he's not Grady Sizemore.

Meanwhile...

TUESDAY: A team that spoke to the Phillies about Brown informed ESPN's Jayson Stark that Philadelphia doesn't sound enthused about the idea of moving Brown and is looking for two to three young players in return (Twitter link)

MONDAY: The Phillies are "actively shopping" Domonic Brown with an eye toward selling high on him in an effort to acquire controllable young pitching, reports Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter).

Dayan, Beck, Rienzo/Snodgress, and Hawkins? Could that be a thing?

No. Just no.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
My remarks were based upon the following scouting report:

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/08/...-adam-eaton-of/

Does anyone disagree with this assessment, and why?

I like the kid, but was hoping for more.

Considering I just started looking at scouting reports about him today, I've seen just about everything. He doesn't have a good arm. He has a great arm. He's fast. He is average speed but makes up for it with gridiness. He won't hit for any power, he could be a double digit homer guy. He's a great OF, he's below average defensively. He projects to be a 4th OF, he projects to be a leadoff man CF. Who knows until he actually is playing real games, but losing Hector Santiago isn't a huge price IMO.

I assume that the front office had the following set of priorities, among perhaps others, going into the off season:

Fix the middle of the order, which was a disaster last season

Find a high OBP lead off hitter

Improve the defense, especially the outfield

Add a potent LH middle of the order bat

Find a catcher who can handle the staff and hit respectably

Add a LH bullpen arm

Abreu was a big step toward addressing the first priority

Eaton is their attempt to satisfy the second item on that list

Two down, and four to go, on my list.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)
Take out Beck? More doable for Sox?

Or is he that bad defensively?

I haven't seen him, but even with a .270/.325/.490 season, he was only worth like 1.6 WAR. UZR was like -15. He's really bad. Again, he can probably improve, but he was not good last year.

He's got an incredibly high ceiling, so in that sense he's worth a bit more just to gamble, but I'm not overly optimistic.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
I haven't seen him, but even with a .270/.325/.490 season, he was only worth like 1.6 WAR. UZR was like -15. He's really bad. Again, he can probably improve, but he was not good last year.

He's got an incredibly high ceiling, so in that sense he's worth a bit more just to gamble, but I'm not overly optimistic.

I wouldn't give up Viciedo for him when Viciedos stock is low and Browns is inflated. I think a Dunn trade is on the horizon.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
I wouldn't give up Viciedo for him when Viciedos stock is low and Browns is inflated. I think a Dunn trade is on the horizon.

I don't think Brown's value is going down though. If the Phillies are down on him, then I believe his value is low right now. He does have the potential to be a 30-40 homer guy, but he's also got potential to fall flat on his face and be barely anything more than a platoon player. Thus, I don't want to give up a ton for him, but I'd give up some. That is, I'd do so if there were room for him.

This is also about the one instance where I'm OK with taking on a lot of Dunn's salary - if the Sox can find a significant upgrade.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
I don't think Brown's value is going down though. If the Phillies are down on him, then I believe his value is low right now. He does have the potential to be a 30-40 homer guy, but he's also got potential to fall flat on his face and be barely anything more than a platoon player. Thus, I don't want to give up a ton for him, but I'd give up some. That is, I'd do so if there were room for him.

This is also about the one instance where I'm OK with taking on a lot of Dunn's salary - if the Sox can find a significant upgrade.

Sure, I would give up Dunn and eat salary, but I am not giving up Viciedo who will likely be a much better all around hitter over the next decade. People are too quick to get down on players after a down year and too quick to promote players after a banner year. The truth lays somewhere in the middle .

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
Bro, he's not Grady Sizemore.

Meanwhile...

TUESDAY: A team that spoke to the Phillies about Brown informed ESPN's Jayson Stark that Philadelphia doesn't sound enthused about the idea of moving Brown and is looking for two to three young players in return (Twitter link)

MONDAY: The Phillies are "actively shopping" Domonic Brown with an eye toward selling high on him in an effort to acquire controllable young pitching, reports Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter).

Dayan, Beck, Rienzo/Snodgress, and Hawkins? Could that be a thing?

Oh my lord, that is awful. Of those guys, I would give them Beck + Rienzo/Snodgress, hopefully Snodgress.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:10 AM)
We should trade DeAza and Rienzo to the Royals for Wade Davis. Coop would fix him. Royals are ghey. That would really hurt them but they might do it.

I'd rather see us trade De Aza, Beckham, Petricka, and Rienzo to the Orioles for Matt Weiters.

Edited by Chilihead90

Focus now has to be finding a young cost controlled catcher and then maybe, if you are able to do that and feel good, you think about picking up a piece, like Headley, at 3B who you don't have a problem giving some money too (as you have nice cost controlled pieces at other spots on the diamond). I do expect one day we'll see Buehrle back on the southside (clearly with another team picking up substantial cash).