Baseball winter meetings thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
Hector spending a little time above his promised land last year.......and Eaton spending a little time below it last year......

........is why we even have a shot at this. I'm on board. Do it. LHP is a surplus, and we have a need for a ready-now guy with great ceiling.

Well put, the more I hear on Eaton the more I say pull the trigger. We are trading from a position in which we have flexibility, especially LH's. And IMO Santiago is probably the one who has a chance to flounder ( I think JD comes back to what we are used to). Lead off guys who draw walks and play CF, hit left-handed and bring a grindy-ness that will excite fans like Rowand did (as I have read many scouting reports say this guy plays balls out regardless of his safety) are hard to come by. This kid has 88 at bats, was AZs 5th overall spect in 12, 73 rd overall in MLB in 13, and who is coming over injury and devalued. Not to mention this dude has had a chip on his shoulder since being drafted cause of the tag he was too small to be an everyday MLB'er. I'll take my chances, if he can turn that chip and be even in the same zip code, or state as Dustin Pedroia who also had that chip, RH is a genius in 2 years.

If Williams has had his "eye" on Eaton for a while, it wouldn't surprise me if the Sox throw in a prospect just to close the deal. We should be getting a prospect.

It's way too early to say Santiago has maxed out.

On the other hand, when Eaton played 1/2 a season, his numbers fell way, way off from his 120 AB season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
Can't be from the Sox if they are good... amiright?

Steve Gilbert ‏@SteveGilbertMLB 5m

According to an MLB source, the #Dbacks would also receive a pair of good prospects in Trumbo deal.

What if we're giving up Snodgress + Beck or something & in the process buying one of the DBacks better pitching prospects, or maybe 1 and we're getting Cahill who was originally in the discussion?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
What if we're giving up Snodgress + Beck or something & in the process buying one of the DBacks better pitching prospects, or maybe 1 and we're getting Cahill who was originally in the discussion?

Why do the Sox need or want Cahill?

Just like around the trading deadline, I find that if I just step away from the computer stuff will start happening. Sure enough, I just got back from a meeting and things are happening.

I like the idea of Eaton. Hopefully there's another piece coming back with him.

And I'm not totally against Uribe. If he is signed, however, wouldn't that mean that one of Keppinger, Beckham, and Gillaspie will be gone?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Why do the Sox need or want Cahill?

I don't know, but I'm not sure why we want Kendrick or Uribe, nor why we signed Paulino when we have Johnson.

I have no idea what the Sox are doing right now. Maybe they are planning on unloading a whole bunch of players and bringing in stopgaps. Makes no sense.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)
Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 55s

White Sox working on getting center fielder Adam Eaton from AZ. Will have to part with left hand starter (Quintana or Santiago ) talks fluid

No way on Quintana. That would be a huge overpay unless there's something else significant involved.

If we sign Uribe, we will turn Keppinger back to Tampa for that LH hitting catcher (name escapes me). We will platoon Uribe and Gillaspie at 3B, be able to spot Juan at SS and 2B when needed. It would be a good acquisition because of his defense and the flexibility he brings.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Love Juano, just don't understand the fit. We made one mistake with Kep, why compound it with another 2 years of Juano?

I don't mind getting Juan, he plays every position in the IF well and offers a solid PH off the bench. The only thing I would need to be okay with it is if it's contingent on us trading Keplinger or a different IF. But preferably swapping Kep with Juan is be okay depending on the money and return for Jeff.

The way I look at the Juan situation, is that Keppinger has 2 years on his deal. If we get Uribe for 2 years and ship Keppinger away, nothing really changes other than us bringing in some sort of bullpen or minor league piece for Keppinger. I would expect Juan to platoon at third though.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
It's not something you need. You are supposed to be going younger. You already have a veteran at 3B with Kep for another 2 years. Just seems contradictory to everything else you are hearing. Unless they are confident they can move Kep or Beckham, it's odd.

Its called a stop gap while adding more offense