Baseball winter meetings thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
I think if the Sox are trying to move Viciedo, it goes to show you how out of favor he has fallen. Not saying he doesn't have talent/value, but the Sox must feel his swing is just never going to come around and be that big threat he has the potential to be. After last season, I don't see Viciedo turning into anything more than a Delmon Young type player.

I honestly think it is because De Aza can steal bases and hit some home runs and isn't a station to station player so they would rather have him in the line up then Viciedo. They probably think we will have home runs from Dunn/Abreu/Garcia and that we need players who can do more then just hit home runs.

De Aza gives you some speed and has some pop.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
I honestly think it is because De Aza can steal bases and hit some home runs and isn't a station to station player so they would rather have him in the line up then Viciedo. They probably think we will have home runs from Dunn/Abreu/Garcia and that we need players who can do more then just hit home runs.

De Aza gives you some speed and has some pop.

And is also left-handed which helps.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:43 PM)
Perhaps they wanna move Viciedo because he has more trade value.....What team was it that was trying to deal for Cespedes? Perhaps they might wanna take on a guy who has the potential to be just as good.

It was Arizona and it was for Pollock and Skaggs. Woukd have been am absolute steal for Oakland. But now theyve got Trumbo and extra OFers so I doubt they want Viciedo. They would want Quintana or Sale.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)
Still would rather take someone who is already played A Ball. Like I said earlier, I could see them taking Perez with their first pick if they don't acquire or aren't close to a deal for a catcher by draft time.

The guys who are there for the Rule 5 are there because they aren't quite ready for the majors. If they were, they would be in the majors. None of them are "ready".

Can Lawrie play 2nd base? How about a 3-way trade involving SF, Sox, and Toronto. Sox send Viciedo to SF, Beckham to Toronto and receive Sandoval and Lawrie. There would be more parts involved but that would be the gist of it for the Sox. However, I would rather hold onto Viciedo and send De Aza to SF.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
Can Lawrie play 2nd base? How about a 3-way trade involving SF, Sox, and Toronto. Sox send Viciedo to SF, Beckham to Toronto and receive Sandoval and Lawrie. There would be more parts involved but that would be the gist of it for the Sox. However, I would rather hold onto Viciedo and send De Aza to SF.

Lawrie came up as a highly touted 2B with MIL.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:52 PM)
Yankees turned down a Phillips for Gardner deal. Maybe the Sox could get in there with Beckham & send him to the Yanks with a prospect, Gardner goes to the Reds, we get specs from Cincy.

The Reds are going to have to give up quite a bit more than that to get Gardner, even if it's for just one season.

They would probably prefer Kelly Johnson in NY over Beckham, anyway.

I would really like to see Hahn orchestrate something like this seeing how he seems to have success with three way trades.

White Sox trade: De Aza, Beckham, Flowers & Carlos Sanchez

Blue Jays trade: Aaron Loup LHP, Adonys Cardona RHP & Mitch Nay 3B

Padres Trade: Yasmani Grandal

White Sox receive: Yasmani Grandal, Aaron Loup, Adonys Cardona

Blue Jays receive: Beckham

Padres receive: De Aza, Flowers, Sanchez and Nay

Grandal is blocked behind hundley and the padres should have Austin Hedges on the back swing when he is ready, flowers provides additional depth and the possibility, that he is a late bloomer. Their system lacks MI and CI prospects, Sanchez and Nay. Also they have a gapping hole in CF known as Cameron Maybin and De Aza gives them two years at a reasonable rate.

The blue jays need a second basemen and loup is a decent looking bullpen piece which address one of our concerns, cardona is a live arm with a good fastball but little else to show for it now and nay while talented is only in A- ball and they still have lawrie at 3B.

The sox get a good young cost controlled catcher that has dealt with a ped suspension and appears to need a change of scenery a good looking lh relief pitcher and a live arm. while opening up a major league spot for Semien to develop.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:42 PM)
I would really like to see Hahn orchestrate something like this seeing how he seems to have success with three way trades.

White Sox trade: De Aza, Beckham, Flowers & Carlos Sanchez

Blue Jays trade: Aaron Loup LHP, Adonys Cardona RHP & Mitch Nay 3B

Padres Trade: Yasmani Grandal

White Sox receive: Yasmani Grandal, Aaron Loup, Adonys Cardona

Blue Jays receive: Beckham

Padres receive: De Aza, Flowers, Sanchez and Nay

Grandal is blocked behind hundley and the padres should have Austin Hedges on the back swing when he is ready, flowers provides additional depth and the possibility, that he is a late bloomer. Their system lacks MI and CI prospects, Sanchez and Nay. Also they have a gapping hole in CF known as Cameron Maybin and De Aza gives them two years at a reasonable rate.

The blue jays need a second basemen and loup is a decent looking bullpen piece which address one of our concerns, cardona is a live arm with a good fastball but little else to show for it now and nay while talented is only in A- ball and they still have lawrie at 3B.

The sox get a good young cost controlled catcher that has dealt with a ped suspension and appears to need a change of scenery a good looking lh relief pitcher and a live arm. while opening up a major league spot for Semien to develop.

That is just a horrendous deal for the Blue Jays. They shouldn't even trade Nay for Beckham straight up, let alone trade him and Loup and Cardona. Nay is their #3 prospect according to Fangraphs.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 07:25 AM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 7m

#SFGiants seeking right-handed hitting outfielder with power. For a time last night, trade seemed close. Hasn’t happened - yet.

Vicedo????

Hmmm. Who would the Sox target coming from SF?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:49 AM)
ADA only had 171 plate appearances in '11 so I don't know if that's a fair sample size to make this damning comment.

I want to live in a world where we can trade Viciedo and Beckham for Sandoval and Lawrie. :P

Grandal isn't blocked by Hundley. He supplanted Hundley in 2012 and performed great. Injury kept Grandal down last year and gave Hundley the chance to start. I don't know how much the Jays actually want Beckham even though that was talked about. Their fan site gave Gordon Beckham a resounding no.

Grandal also got busted for PED's after 2012 which opened the door for Hundley this season to take his job back.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 5m

White Sox looking for catching have talked to Tampa about Jose Lobaton . Chicago hoping to fill there and lefty bullpen hole.

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine

Will that be it for the Winter Mettings dealings? Don't teams typically leave after the Rule V draft?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
Will that be it for the Winter Mettings dealings? Don't teams typically leave after the Rule V draft?

Some will, some will stick around for a while longer, depends on flight times I suppose. Everyone will be back in their home cities tomorrow night.

Edited by witesoxfan