Hahn may have bigger plans for Eaton and Elmore

Lillian

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhat encouraged to see Carlos Sanchez tearing it up in the Venezuelan league after a rough AAA campaign. Perhaps, we'll have a good, healthy competition for 2nd base and SS, considering the possibilities of trades/performance between now and mid 14 season.

I don't think Leury's bat will ever play well enough to be an every day player, but we'll get a real good look at him in a major utility role, given our bench situation, while Semien, Sanchez, and perhaps Micah Johnson and Elmore audition in the minors to be somebody's trading deadline replacement, likely Gordo's, imo.

Agreed, we will need to get a more powerful bat in one of the non-1B IF positions.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29486543&c_id=mlb

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=28672435&c_id=mlb

There's a big hitch in his swing and it's rather long. If he hit .250 over a full season, I'd be surprised. He's not going to have good plate coverage and he'll have to choose whether he is looking in or out.

Guys like Konerko in his prime hit .300...they can be looking in yet have a quick and strong enough swing to poke balls to center and right. Elmore does not have that.

I do see a little Zobrist in the swing, but he's also a switch hitter. Either way, I don't think he's a starter.

Not really seeing that "Hitch" in his swing... unfortunately (LOL). And I love players that are grinders and not prima donnas. Play hard and get dirty.

QUOTE (floridafan @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
Not really seeing that "Hitch" in his swing... unfortunately (LOL). And I love players that are grinders and not prima donnas. Play hard and get dirty.

It's far more noticeable in the second homer. There is a relatively long pause and delay during the load process.

Anyways, I like guys that play hard too, but I also like talent more than anything else.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 09:55 AM)
It's far more noticeable in the second homer. There is a relatively long pause and delay during the load process.

Anyways, I like guys that play hard too, but I also like talent more than anything else.

Could be an adjustment to an off speed pitch...? Anyway, Talent is where it is at! Hoping for a much better year for my talented grinder, lol!

QUOTE (floridafan @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
Could be an adjustment to an off speed pitch...? Anyway, Talent is where it is at! Hoping for a much better year for my talented grinder, lol!

I don't think Elmore is all that talented, not compared to other MLB players.

Wish Eric the best, we're rooting for him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29486543&c_id=mlb

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=28672435&c_id=mlb

There's a big hitch in his swing and it's rather long. If he hit .250 over a full season, I'd be surprised. He's not going to have good plate coverage and he'll have to choose whether he is looking in or out.

Guys like Konerko in his prime hit .300...they can be looking in yet have a quick and strong enough swing to poke balls to center and right. Elmore does not have that.

I do see a little Zobrist in the swing, but he's also a switch hitter. Either way, I don't think he's a starter.

Thank you for posting the video. However, I must respectfully disagree with the perception that they show a "hitch" in his swing. It appears to be nothing more than his waiting on an off speed pitch.

The videos show him staying closed, keeping his hands back, and then swinging with good results. It looks just fine.

He is probably very limited in his raw talent, and he certainly is not going to hit for power, but his purported skill as a number 2 hole hitter is what has some of us intrigued.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
He is probably very limited in his raw talent, and he certainly is not going to hit for power, but his purported skill as a number 2 hole hitter is what has some of us intrigued.

IF - and that's a big if - Elmore makes the roster, we better hope he is not starting.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
IF - and that's a big if - Elmore makes the roster, we better hope he is not starting.

Or they've traded Beckham, Elmore somehow wins 2B over Leury Garcia AND Semien's not quite ready and Elmore is just holding the position for 2-3 months.

But yeah, it's almost impossible to imagine a scenario.

If all those things above happened, they would still need to skip over Keppinger (assuming he's not traded) for Elmore.

It seems that most of you feel that Elmore's main asset is his unusual ability to play every position, thus automatically relegating him to a utility man.

While that skill is useful, I had the impression that his best skill was his ability to execute the tasks of a number two hole hitter.

His ability to bunt, take and foul off pitches, hit behind the runner and the other things about which Brett Butler raved, are the tools that intrigued me.

Think of it this way; the Sox have been using Ramirez and Beckham in the two hole. Neither of them is very good at those skills, and neither sports a respectable OBP.

Given the chance, which most here feel will not happen, it would be interesting to see how Elmore would compare, in those respects.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 06:03 AM)
It seems that most of you feel that Elmore's main asset is his unusual ability to play every position, thus automatically relegating him to a utility man.

While that skill is useful, I had the impression that his best skill was his ability to execute the tasks of a number two hole hitter.

His ability to bunt, take and foul off pitches, hit behind the runner and the other things about which Brett Butler raved, are the tools that intrigued me.

Think of it this way; the Sox have been using Ramirez and Beckham in the two hole. Neither of them is very good at those skills, and neither sports a respectable OBP.

Given the chance, which most here feel will not happen, it would be interesting to see how Elmore would compare, in those respects.

Because you are basing his ability as a 2 hole hitter on one year in AAA in a league that is very offense. In the major leagues, albeit a very small sample size with 2 teams that thought so much of his ability to bat second, they waived him, his splits as a 2 hole hitter are pitcher-like, .135/.200/.362.

Posters are being far more realistic that if he sticks, it is because he has the ability to play several positions, which could give him a place on the bench. Elmore as a regular player is most likely a disaster.

For a guy with supposed 2 hole skills, and again I realize sample size is small, his stats don't back it up. He hits over .500 swinging at the first pitch, and under .200 when not.

If he was 22-23 years old, there probably could be reason for more optimism, but he is only 9 months younger than Gordon Beckham and not nearly as polished. It is way more likely he is what he is.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 06:43 AM)
Because you are basing his ability as a 2 hole hitter on one year in AAA in a league that is very offense. In the major leagues, albeit a very small sample size with 2 teams that thought so much of his ability to bat second, they waived him, his splits as a 2 hole hitter are pitcher-like, .135/.200/.362.

Posters are being far more realistic that if he sticks, it is because he has the ability to play several positions, which could give him a place on the bench. Elmore as a regular player is most likely a disaster.

For a guy with supposed 2 hole skills, and again I realize sample size is small, his stats don't back it up. He hits over .500 swinging at the first pitch, and under .200 when not.

If he was 22-23 years old, there probably could be reason for more optimism, but he is only 9 months younger than Gordon Beckham and not nearly as polished. It is way more likely he is what he is.

Well, that stat is a little sobering. If it's not a function of the small sample size, that would certainly refute my argument.

The kinds of skills to which I referred are some of the more "translatable" skills in baseball. The ability to take pitches, draw walks, bunt, and hit behind the runner are skills that players should be able to execute, as they progress up through the various levels of play. They are not the kinds of skills that are likely to disappear with tougher competition. Of course, we would have to expect his numbers to be significantly diminished, however is it so unreasonable to expect him to be able to still execute the tasks I listed, with respectable proficiency?

I just checked his Major League split stats on hitting in various batting order slots. He has only had 37 career at bats, in the #2 hole. While those results were awful, the sample size is way to small. Maybe the problem was that Arizona and Houston didn't use him correctly. My argument is that if he is to have any significant success, it would likely be as a number 2 hitter.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)
He won't have any success starting in the majors, it's not going to happen.

If you're right, I'd rather that the Sox not waste a roster spot on him. Under those circumstances, I assume that you would rather see L. Garcia as the utility infielder, given his stellar defense.

Semien should get another year at AAA, unless he's going to start.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 05:25 AM)
Well, that stat is a little sobering. If it's not a function of the small sample size, that would certainly refute my argument.

The kinds of skills to which I referred are some of the more "translatable" skills in baseball. The ability to take pitches, draw walks, bunt, and hit behind the runner are skills that players should be able to execute, as they progress up through the various levels of play. They are not the kinds of skills that are likely to disappear with tougher competition. Of course, we would have to expect his numbers to be significantly diminished, however is it so unreasonable to expect him to be able to still execute the tasks I listed, with respectable proficiency?

I just checked his Major League split stats on hitting in various batting order slots. He has only had 37 career at bats, in the #2 hole. While those results were awful, the sample size is way to small. Maybe the problem was that Arizona and Houston didn't use him correctly. My argument is that if he is to have any significant success, it would likely be as a number 2 hitter.

Just so you know how small the sample size was he hit .200 with the Astro's last year batting second, 5/20 OBP .273 ,and with the D'backs in 2012 he was 1/17 in his rookie year, .059 , OBP .111 . So his sample size is very small . His grand total AB's in 2 brief cups of coffee in the ML is 188 . His MLB batting average is .223 ,OBP .290 .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

If the Sox think that they can improve L Garcia's hitting to at least average SS level, they should send him to AAA and get him the at bats, so that he has a shot at replacing Alexei. In that case, Elmore, who doesn't look like anything other than a utility infielder, can have that spot.

If the Sox don't think that L Garcia can be a ML regular, he can be the super sub and Elmore's out. L Garcia certainly can play all positions and has the best defensive range on the team.

Charlotte infield could get crowded. In no particular order, Garcia, Elmore, Sanchez, Seimen, Micah J, Rondon.......with Morel clogging up third. He might be gone. Only one of the above likely to make Sox opening day roster unless a trade comes up.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
Charlotte infield could get crowded. In no particular order, Garcia, Elmore, Sanchez, Seimen, Micah J, Rondon.......with Morel clogging up third. He might be gone. Only one of the above likely to make Sox opening day roster unless a trade comes up.

Micah Johnson should be starting at AA this year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)

Rondon? You're not talking about Clueluis, are you?

I also doubt we'll see all 4 of Garcia, Elmore, Sanchez, and Semien at the minor league level. I don't think Morel is going to get in the way too much either, as they obviously have given up on him having not called him up during September. He might be out of options too, so he could just get outright claimed on waivers.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
The author called Elmore a "dirtbag". Hahn called Eatona "dirtbag". Coincidence ? I think not. Very grindy stuff.

lmao. i love how dirtbag is a compliment in grindish. i first thought you meant they both insulted each other.