Hahn may have bigger plans for Eaton and Elmore

Lillian

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this, let's see how Elmore, Eaton and co. play in spring training before critiquing anything. Eaton leading off with Elmore batting second is intruiging enough for me to see how this could play out during ST. With Semien arguably close to making the bigs, L. Garcia and Elmore as infield options, I'd say Beckham's days with the Sox could be numbered. Same could be said for Keppinger if they find a taker.

Looks like Hahn is setting up some small ball players for the power guys to drive in and I'm all for that.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29486543&c_id=mlb

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=28672435&c_id=mlb

There's a big hitch in his swing and it's rather long. If he hit .250 over a full season, I'd be surprised. He's not going to have good plate coverage and he'll have to choose whether he is looking in or out.

Guys like Konerko in his prime hit .300...they can be looking in yet have a quick and strong enough swing to poke balls to center and right. Elmore does not have that.

I do see a little Zobrist in the swing, but he's also a switch hitter. Either way, I don't think he's a starter.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
Here is another assessment of Elmore's skills:

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013/2/4/3948...elmore-start-at

The more I think about this potential plan of batting Eaton and Elmore at the top of the order, the more I suspect that this has been Hahn's plan. They quietly acquired Elmore and now Eaton, whom they admittedly had targeted. That can't be a coincidence

It seems to completely be a coincidence. They didn't target Elmore, the picked him up off waivers in November after the Astros (the Astros!) didn't want him. He adds a cushion in middle infield in the event that Beckham or Ramirez or (please!) Keppinger were/are traded this offseason. He won't be given the second base job over Beckham.

As for Eaton, every team in baseball would have wanted him a year ago. Hahn wisely bought low after the arm injury and after Pollock supplanted Eaton as the Dbacks CF.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
It seems to completely be a coincidence. They didn't target Elmore, the picked him up off waivers in November after the Astros (the Astros!) didn't want him. He adds a cushion in middle infield in the event that Beckham or Ramirez or (please!) Keppinger were/are traded this offseason. He won't be given the second base job over Beckham.

As for Eaton, every team in baseball would have wanted him a year ago. Hahn wisely bought low after the arm injury and after Pollock supplanted Eaton as the Dbacks CF.

Perhaps it is just a coincidence. However, I'd still like to see what they could do together, reunited.

He wouldn't have to replace Beckham on the roster, but could be more valuable the Gillaspie, if Beckham moved to third, which was what I was suggesting.

Edited by Lillian

Baseball is an extraordinarily segmented and discrete game. I really doubt there was any real synergy between the two, much less that they will be able to replicate anything at the Major League level. Certainly Elmore should have to earn playing time and it should have nothing at all to do with Eaton.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
Baseball is an extraordinarily segmented and discrete game. I really doubt there was any real synergy between the two, much less that they will be able to replicate anything at the Major League level. Certainly Elmore should have to earn playing time and it should have nothing at all to do with Eaton.

I think the one thing you can see is that guys are more comfortable around the other and can play a little better. Still, talent levels being what they are at that level, you are just not going to see a .240 guy suddenly start hitting .320 because he's back with his buddy.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)

This quote was taken from the article which I mentioned, and linked in my opening post:

"Reno leadoff man Adam Eaton, second to his teammate in batting average at .390, and Elmore have worked so well together that they have signs among themselves – give a pitch or two to steal second base, let’s work a hit-and-run. Butler has seen times when Elmore intentionally fouled a ball off after Eaton got a bad jump off first base on a stolen base attempt."

While I generally agree with you about baseball being a very individual oriented, team sport, there are some places for team work.

I think he may actually have a better shot right now over Leury since he did step in as catcher during a game last year. Since its like Paulie and Dunn will be stepping in late in the game to bat for the catching spot, doesn't hurt to have an emergency guy on the bench that could step in in-case the backup gets hurt.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
I think the one thing you can see is that guys are more comfortable around the other and can play a little better. Still, talent levels being what they are at that level, you are just not going to see a .240 guy suddenly start hitting .320 because he's back with his buddy.

I hope that you're not suggesting that he is a ".240 hitter" based upon the 120 at bats he had last year with the Astros.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
If you really think Jake Elmore is better than Gordon Beckham all I can say is.........WOW.

I know right, at best Elmore's minor league stats would translate to .260/.330/.380.....Oh wait, that actually IS better than Gordon Beckham. Let it go man, he's done.

With that said, I'm pretty sure that Jake Elmore is the answer to about 0 of our problems.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 05:24 PM)
I know right, at best Elmore's minor league stats would translate to .260/.330/.380.....Oh wait, that actually IS better than Gordon Beckham. Let it go man, he's done.

With that said, I'm pretty sure that Jake Elmore is the answer to about 0 of our problems.

Gordon's MiLB numbers translate to better than Gordon

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
As a white sox fan part of this, it is wishful thinking but just perhaps they will transform Elmore into the player he should be when teamed with a former team mate and friend. I'm realistic but we may find if there is anything to this scenario in March when Elmore and Adams will get a chance to show their stuff.

That's exactly my thinking. It's easy to say he's a scrub because he appears to be one. He'll get a chance to show what he's got in Spring Training and if he's good enough he'll stick. It's not like Leury Garcia has shown any exceptional skill besides speed . His defensive versatilty and speed however might be enough to win the job over Elmore who probably, though versatile, can't cover ground like Leury in the OF or IF.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

This has been quite the amusing thread. Jake f***ing Elmore is not going to be a .300 in the majors. He couldn't even hit .280 in A or AA and only hit over .300 in AAA because of a BABIP about 70-80 points higher than his career average prior to the 2012 season (thank you Pacific Coast League!).

Maybe he can be an adequate backup due to his versatility and ability to get on base, but using him as a starter would be a complete f***ing joke. It's not going happen though, so this all a pointless discussion.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
This has been quite the amusing thread. Jake f***ing Elmore is not going to be a .300 in the majors. He couldn't even hit .280 in A or AA and only hit over .300 in AAA because of a BABIP about 70-80 points higher than his career average prior to the 2012 season (thank you Pacific Coast League!).

Maybe he can be an adequate backup due to his versatility and ability to get on base, but using him as a starter would be a complete f***ing joke. It's not going happen though, so this all a pointless discussion.

There's a turd floating in Lillian's Cheerios & I sure hope you're proud of it.

:(

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 06:08 PM)
There's a turd floating in Lillian's Cheerios & I sure hope you're proud of it.

:(

I got no beef with Lillian, but thinking that Rick Hahn has some top secret plan to reunite Eaton & Elmore as our 1/2 because of some inflated PCL numbers is crazy to me.

They wouldn't have made Leury Garcia the centerpiece of the Rangers trade if they planned to give away his position to someone they picked up on waivers.

The position is Garcia's to lose coming into the spring.

Now, of course, if they can somehow manage to deal Keppinger, that would change...but they're better off with Dunn/Keppinger/DeAza/Danks trying to re-establish value.

Same thing that eventually happened with Rios...we didn't have to eat very much salary at all ($1 million or so), whereas trading 3 of those 4 names would cost the White Sox around $15-25 million total right now.

If they were to trade Beckham, it would be to open up the spot for Semien (eventually) and/or trading for someone like a Howie Kendrick with higher OBP abilities. Definitely not to open up the position to Elmore.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
They wouldn't have made Leury Garcia the centerpiece of the Rangers trade if they planned to give away his position to someone they picked up on waivers.

The position is Garcia's to lose coming into the spring.

Now, of course, if they can somehow manage to deal Keppinger, that would change...but they're better off with Dunn/Keppinger/DeAza/Danks trying to re-establish value.

Same thing that eventually happened with Rios...we didn't have to eat very much salary at all ($1 million or so), whereas trading 3 of those 4 names would cost the White Sox around $15-25 million total right now.

If they were to trade Beckham, it would be to open up the spot for Semien (eventually) and/or trading for someone like a Howie Kendrick with higher OBP abilities. Definitely not to open up the position to Elmore.

Or they want Garcia to play everyday and will make him the SS in Charlotte to take over for Alexi when he moves on or his traded. Elmore can be your super utility guy and you get to have an IF of 2B Sanchez, SS Garcia, and 3B Semien to make sure those guys are ready to contribute on an every day basis at the ML level.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Or they want Garcia to play everyday and will make him the SS in Charlotte to take over for Alexi when he moves on or his traded. Elmore can be your super utility guy and you get to have an IF of 2B Sanchez, SS Garcia, and 3B Semien to make sure those guys are ready to contribute on an every day basis at the ML level.

That would be the lightest hitting infield in the majors...