Hahn may have bigger plans for Eaton and Elmore

Lillian

Perhaps Hahn has bigger plans for Jake Elmore than most fans think:

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/06/20/12/R...?blockID=749442

Eaton and Elmore were team mates at Reno, and were on base "machines" at the top of the order:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/t...cgi?id=1c0d7c8a

Hahn may be thinking that Elmore could play third, and bat second in the order.

There just may be "a method to Hahn's madness".

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 05:56 AM)
Perhaps Hahn has bigger plans for Jake Elmore than most fans think:

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/06/20/12/R...?blockID=749442

Eaton and Elmore were team mates at Reno, and were on base "machines" at the top of the order:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/t...cgi?id=1c0d7c8a

Hahn may be thinking that Elmore could play third, and bat second in the order.

There just may be "a method to Hahn's madness".

The author called Elmore a "dirtbag". Hahn called Eatona "dirtbag". Coincidence ? I think not. Very grindy stuff.

Wasn't Elmore acquired off waivers from the Astros? If he can't play for the Astros, and looking at his stats in the minors, if anything, it makes me pause concerning Eaton's minor league stats.

A report on the trade said the Sox had interest in Kendrick. I wonder if that was to play 3B, or would have involved trading Beckham for a 3B.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
Wasn't Elmore acquired off waivers from the Astros? If he can't play for the Astros, and looking at his stats in the minors, if anything, it makes me pause concerning Eaton's minor league stats.

A report on the trade said the Sox had interest in Kendrick. I wonder if that was to play 3B, or would have involved trading Beckham for a 3B.

I was thinking the same thing, didn't wanna post it though because I wanna believe Eaton is a .300+/.350+ guy.

I guess the only difference is Elmore never made a top prospect list.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
The author called Elmore a "dirtbag". Hahn called Eatona "dirtbag". Coincidence ? I think not. Very grindy stuff.

You're right, and the use of that term by both Hahn and the author of the article was one of the things that made me think there might be a bigger master plan here. Wouldn't Eaton and Elmore be a refreshing change for our miserable OBP top of the order hitters?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
If you really think Jake Elmore is better than Gordon Beckham all I can say is.........WOW.

Don't discount the "If they think they have something part". I really don't know what to think about him. I'm simply saying that if they wanna play him somewhere I'd rather him play 2B because even his minor league numbers will tell you he has no power, and I would want at least Conor Gillaspie type power at 3B.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
If you really think Jake Elmore is better than Gordon Beckham all I can say is.........WOW.

I don't know that he is, but I'd give him a chance to get the job. Its not like if Beckham is going to make or break the team's 2014 season.

Edited by woods of ypres

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
I was thinking the same thing, didn't wanna post it though because I wanna believe Eaton is a .300+/.350+ guy.

I guess the only difference is Elmore never made a top prospect list.

Here are the stats for the PCL's 2012 season:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/l...cgi?id=0dccdf2c

Here are the same stats for the International League's 2012 season:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/l...cgi?id=8300bf39

The walks per 9 innings were identical for the League, at 3.4, so that doesn't suggest that their high OBP's were a function of "wild pitching" opponents.

If these numbers suggest that Eaton and Elmore were just exploiting terrible pitching, and bad control, then you'll have to find the evidence, and draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Lillian

Those who are comparing Elmore to Beckham, or complaining about his lack of power to play third, may be missing the point.

Elmore's role would be to serve as an effective number 2 hole hitter, and add more speed and OBP to the top of the order.

I think that most would agree, that is something that Sox teams have missed since Pods and Iguchi worked so well together.

To quote Brett Butler from the article, to which I provided the link:

"He’s the best two-hole hitter I’ve ever had. Ever.”

If Elmore could foul off pitches, work the count, give Eaton a better chance to steal, bunt, get on base, and steal a base himself, that would represent a significant asset to the offense.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 06:21 AM)
You're right, and the use of that term by both Hahn and the author of the article was one of the things that made me think there might be a bigger master plan here. Wouldn't Eaton and Elmore be a refreshing change for our miserable OBP top of the order hitters?

My comment was pretty much tongue in cheek but Elmore would have to make the team over Leury. Does seem like Elmore is more useful with Eaton around though and willing to sacrifice himself for the good of the team. I 'm thinking Hahn likes baseball players and our drafts in the future will go back to getting more baseball types and fewer multi sports types.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 06:08 AM)
I had to go look up Elmore. I forgot the Sox had picked him up. His minor league numbers are pretty good. I wonder if he has a shot at being on the MLB roster in the spring.

He's part of the " Lollipop guild" that Hahns been getting, Leury 5'7", Eaton 5'8" Elmore 5'9" . This would have worked much better had Guillen still been the manager since the "lollipop guild" belongs in the "Land of Oz".

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
He's part of the " Lollipop guild" that Hahns been getting, Leury 5'7", Eaton 5'8" Elmore 5'9" . This would have worked much better had Guillen still been the manager since the "lollipop guild" belongs in the "Land of Oz".

They should all take a picture standing next to Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
They should all take a picture standing next to Adam Dunn.

There was a picture of the Sox in the 90's with all the small guys. I think they called them the smurfs or something. It had Joey Cora, Scott Fletcher, Cangelosi, Ozzie and a few others, I think.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
I have always really liked Eaton in general but playing in Reno can really help a hitter. The ball flies out of that place. May have something to do with the success even though I really do like Eaton and think it's a great move.

That's the problem. Good hitters put up good numbers. Bad hitters put up good numbers. That is probably why there is some divide on him in scouting reports.

The Sox finally have someone Keith Law likes. For once, I hope he's right.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Those who are comparing Elmore to Beckham, or complaining about his lack of power to play third, may be missing the point.

Elmore's role would be to serve as an effective number 2 hole hitter, and add more speed and OBP to the top of the order.

I think that most would agree, that is something that Sox teams have missed since Pods and Iguchi worked so well together.

To quote Brett Butler from the article, to which I provided the link:

"He’s the best two-hole hitter I’ve ever had. Ever.”

If Elmore could foul off pitches, work the count, give Eaton a better chance to steal, get on base, steal a base himself, that would all be a huge asset to the offense.

I'm not missing the point, I merely said that if they think he can be something I'd rather have him at 2B.

Going with Elmore, Lexi, and Beckham as 3 of your 4 infielders would be incredibly weak.

Hahn is supposedly looking for an upgrade at 3B, so his "bigger plan" apparently doesn't involve Elmore at 3B.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
I have always really liked Eaton in general but playing in Reno can really help a hitter. The ball flies out of that place. May have something to do with the success even though I really do like Eaton and think it's a great move.

I'm sorry, but the logic here escapes me. Neither Eaton nor Elmore are home run hitters, so why would this be a factor?