Rule V Draft 2013

Buehrle>Wood

Well not really exciting but we have the second pick so it's something to watch. Pitchers also go heavily in this draft and I suppose that is the route we will go, if anything. Personally I see the obvious pick for us a LOOGY or Catcher. A major league catcher is probably impossible to find, so yeah, that leaves a pitcher.

Here's a preview from Southside Sox saying mostly what I've stated thus far, but they specifically suggest Houston catcher Carlos Perez: http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/12/11/520...5-draft-preview

He's righty and also just not very good so I'd pass and try to find a pitcher.

Here's a more general Rule V preview from Baseball America: http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/rule...some-late-buzz/

Cubs RHP Marcus Mateo is apparently the star of this draft. The potential LOOGYs are Brian Moran, Freddy Lewis, and Alex Sogard. Moran is a relatively decent option.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
Whether they have an extra DH or not they would still only take 2 catchers. It could be Flowers and Phegley or one of those two with a Rule 5 guy.

IMO they will get at least 1 catcher, maybe 2.

If they get 1 starter, Flowers has a shot as a backup with Phegley in the minors. 1 non-starter and it's new guy vs. Flowers with the loser not getting a spot on the 40-man.

If the Sox get 2 catchers, whether 1 is a starter or they're both prospects/backup types, Flowers is off the roster and Phegley is still probably in the minors. I'm not sure the Sox like any of their options, they would just probably want to keep Phegley as insurance since he has options.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:32 PM)
IMO they will get at least 1 catcher, maybe 2.

If they get 1 starter, Flowers has a shot as a backup with Phegley in the minors. 1 non-starter and it's new guy vs. Flowers with the loser not getting a spot on the 40-man.

If the Sox get 2 catchers, whether 1 is a starter or they're both prospects/backup types, Flowers is off the roster and Phegley is still probably in the minors. I'm not sure the Sox like any of their options, they would just probably want to keep Phegley as insurance since he has options.

I know they probably won't roll out with both Flowers and P hegley. Just pointing out that they wouldn't take more than 2 regardless on how many DH's they have

I think he means that it is difficult to carry an extra anything since it forces your bench to be somewhat useful.

And on any bad team (if that's what we are in 2014) you can't really hide someone in the pen, because the pen is probably full of gas cans and you need to cover extra innings.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:37 PM)
I think he means that it is difficult to carry an extra anything since it forces your bench to be somewhat useful.

And on any bad team (if that's what we are in 2014) you can't really hide someone in the pen, because the pen is probably full of gas cans and you need to cover extra innings.

Still doesn't make any sense to me. So if they had 2 backup infielders then you can "hide" your backup catcher?

Not having an everyday catcher is what is restricting them from being able to take a guy like Nieto, not carrying 3 1B/DH.

I'm not sure you'd really want to hide a position player anyway, especially a catcher. It's hard for me to imagine a position player not seeing live pitching for most of the year & somehow developing further. With a pitcher it makes some sense, you have the side sessions, you work with the big league coaches & their training staffs, you get advice from MLB pitchers, etc. Hitters.... eh. I think a backup catcher has to play regularly if he's a Rule-5 guy, otherwise there's no point in keeping him because you're not helping him & you're not helping your organization.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:35 PM)
In this situation how do you figure? Do you suggest they could carry 3 catchers so they can "hide" one of them? That would be ions worse than carrying an extra dh who will actually contribute.

If that guy's a future All-Star catcher, you definitely take the hit for one season and then send him to AAA or AA the following year to develop him 100%.

With Konerko on the roster, that's almost impossible.

Catcher is far and away our biggest need, with 3B a close 2nd.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:31 AM)
If that guy's a future All-Star catcher, you definitely take the hit for one season and then send him to AAA or AA the following year to develop him 100%.

With Konerko on the roster, that's almost impossible.

Catcher is far and away our biggest need, with 3B a close 2nd.

WHY?

This is suggesting they carry 3 catchers, 1 of which you are just "hiding". Isn't one of the main arguments against PK, or at least baltas main argument, was that he restricts your benches flexibility?....So now we are suggesting the same thing only at a different position?

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:41 PM)
WHY?

This is suggesting they carry 3 catchers, 1 of which you are just "hiding". Isn't one of the main arguments against PK, or at least baltas main argument, was that he restricts your benches flexibility?....So now we are suggesting the same thing only at a different position?

Except there's a long-term reason why you might do that in one case.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
Is it possible for the Sox to do a trade and then tradebacks with that team as a loophole to avoid having Nieto on the 25-man roster?

I'm sure they would frown upon it...since it would be circumventing the rules and spirit of the draft.

Having to deal with sacrificing one roster spot is, or at least can be, a pretty heavy penalty. For a future starter in the situation where the White Sox find themselves, it would be worth it, definitely.

Your backup catcher gets fewer at-bats than any other player in most cases. This isn't rocket science. You just send Phegley back down to the minors unless you feel very strongly that Phegley needs MLB at-bats.

s***, maybe we think Nieto should start.