Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 05:52 PM)
Not saying we would go after him, but if we did dump Keppinger and De Aza, our payroll would drop to about $ 83M. If Jerry sees the Cubs go after him big time, don't you think he might be willing to ante up?

I don't think that's a thing

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
Not saying we would go after him, but if we did dump Keppinger and De Aza, our payroll would drop to about $ 83M. If Jerry sees the Cubs go after him big time, don't you think he might be willing to ante up?

That's only if you don't count Abreu's signing bonus. If you're talking about Abreu's signing bonus, a posting fee for Tanaka, and big spending on the draft, you're talking about a huge amount being spent that isn't being counted in that payroll. A $20 million posting fee, for example, plus a chunk of Abreu's signing bonus, plus $11 million in draft spending, and we're talking $35-40 million not being counted even before Tanaka's actual salary.

He makes so much more sense for a team that isn't working in so many rookies.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
That's only if you don't count Abreu's signing bonus. If you're talking about Abreu's signing bonus, a posting fee for Tanaka, and big spending on the draft, you're talking about a huge amount being spent that isn't being counted in that payroll. A $20 million posting fee, for example, plus a chunk of Abreu's signing bonus, plus $11 million in draft spending, and we're talking $35-40 million not being counted even before Tanaka's actual salary.

He makes so much more sense for a team that isn't working in so many rookies.

The $20 million is done in installments.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
The $20 million is done in installments.

You get the point though. We're pretending Abreu's money doesn't count against payroll if we quote $83 million. Fine, spread it out however you want, it still is getting paid, in addition to a big expansion of draft spending this year. Tanaka's posting fee you're talking an extra $5 million a year in off the books spending.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
You get the point though. We're pretending Abreu's money doesn't count against payroll if we quote $83 million. Fine, spread it out however you want, it still is getting paid, in addition to a big expansion of draft spending this year. Tanaka's posting fee you're talking an extra $5 million a year in off the books spending.

This is a unique opportunity, although it is obviously a very small possibility, but IMO it is something you stretch the budget to participate.

So very doubting this will happen. We're not there yet -- not to the point where we blow our cash, no matter how tempting it might be. It seems like a player of this sort posts every year or two so the opportunity will come. It just doesn't seem to jive with the whole "young AND inexpensive" thing. Heck, even a borderline-blockbuster contract like Abreu's might be a cost-effective down the road, whereas $120MM+ to sign Tanaka is not likely to carry the same value.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
If Rick gets creative with the deal (Like JDA, Paulie), I can see it. And I'd like it

Adding Davidson and Eaton allows them to spend.

I just think of it this way.

Put yourself in the position of the Rangers or Red Sox or Dodgers, a team obviously capable of competing in 2014 and beyond.

You can tentatively look at Tanaka and say "if I sign him for 5 seasons, there's a shot he could contribute to 5 playoff-contending teams, and he's very likely to contribute to a playoff contender in his first 3 seasons when he is 25-28 years old in particular".

The White Sox on the other hand would look at him and say "If I sign him for 5 seasons, I'm hoping maybe everything goes well and he can contribute to 4 pennant chases, with 2014 being unlikely to involve one even if I sign him given how many kids the roster is filled with".

He's worth so much more to a team that can contend this year. The WHite Sox, to first order, would be paying him $100 million for 4 seasons that count, whereas the other teams would e paying him $100 million for 5 seasons that count. Imagine Darvish coming over, putting up a near cy young caliber season his first year and being on a team with 70 wins. That's a pretty major waste.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
Just think....Sale Tanaka Quintana Johnson Danks

Eaton Ramirez Dunn Abreu Garcia Viciedo Davidson Beckham (Catcher spot)

That's a sleeper breakout team, if not a powerhouse, but most importantly, it's a core of players that will likely continue to improve and be effective for a many years.

It's a no brainer to kick the tires, but it does seem unlikely they'll fit this in the budget. With the posting fee capped now, there's a very good chance this guy gets over $100m, and the Yankees are the most obvious fit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:21 PM)
I just think of it this way.

Put yourself in the position of the Rangers or Red Sox or Dodgers, a team obviously capable of competing in 2014 and beyond.

You can tentatively look at Tanaka and say "if I sign him for 5 seasons, there's a shot he could contribute to 5 playoff-contending teams, and he's very likely to contribute to a playoff contender in his first 3 seasons when he is 25-28 years old in particular".

The White Sox on the other hand would look at him and say "If I sign him for 5 seasons, I'm hoping maybe everything goes well and he can contribute to 4 pennant chases, with 2014 being unlikely to involve one even if I sign him given how many kids the roster is filled with".

He's worth so much more to a team that can contend this year. The WHite Sox, to first order, would be paying him $100 million for 4 seasons that count, whereas the other teams would e paying him $100 million for 5 seasons that count. Imagine Darvish coming over, putting up a near cy young caliber season his first year and being on a team with 70 wins. That's a pretty major waste.

I look at it as: it sets the Sox rotation for the next 5 years, allows the core to grow and compete together, couls compete next year if all goes right, and allows them to trade Beck, Rienzo, Snodgress, Jaye and one of EJ/next years 1st rounder if need be to plug other holes.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
So very doubting this will happen. We're not there yet -- not to the point where we blow our cash, no matter how tempting it might be. It seems like a player of this sort posts every year or two so the opportunity will come. It just doesn't seem to jive with the whole "young AND inexpensive" thing. Heck, even a borderline-blockbuster contract like Abreu's might be a cost-effective down the road, whereas $120MM+ to sign Tanaka is not likely to carry the same value.

This guy is beyond special. If the Sox added him to the rotation, they really would be setting themselves up for years. If they draft another pitcher with the #3 pick, their rotation s potentially Greg Maddux Atlanta Braves good in a year or so. A couple of these trades pan out, a Beckham or Viciedo plays up to their potential, you have a sustained success roster.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
I look at it as: it sets the Sox rotation for the next 5 years, allows the core to grow and compete together, couls compete next year if all goes right, and allows them to trade Beck, Rienzo, Snodgress, Jaye and one of EJ/next years 1st rounder if need be to plug other holes.

But it's not like there won't be options next year. Price could well be a FA at a comparable price. Scherzer ditto. And in terms of Japanese guys, this is the 3rd "all time talent" pitcher to come out of Japan in the last 8 years. They're starting to regularly develop high level MLB arms on a regular basis.

I wonder what the difference between Tanaka & Garza is both in cost & MLB ability. Garza doesn't cost a pick either, and he's MLB proven. Teams don't want to go 5 years (maybe not even 4 with Garza) but with Tanaka I'm sure it would be 6. Maybe gimme Garza, ninja style. Danks recovers, you trade him, trade Garza in 2 years, EJ's our 5 this year, Beck/whoever replaces Danks later, someone else replaces Garza down the line.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)

I am not sure on that. I have been running my own payroll number, and have used Abreu at $ 17M this year, giving them the $ 83M figure.