Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Well... TIFWIW.... But it may be over for us...

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomLoxas/status/...336944038395904

Tom Loxas reporting its down to NYY and CHC.

If a Chicago Now blogger is the one to break this story then every National Baseball writer should be embarassed.

It's all speculation at this point. This isn't an American free agent who could potentially be surrounded by guys who could leak information. He is in Japan and has a tight inner circle that has no motivation or incentive to give "favorites" or "front runners." I am confident that Hahn submitted a competitive offer and I hope that the meeting was compelling. That's pretty much all you can ask for now.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
It's all speculation at this point. This isn't an American free agent who could potentially be surrounded by guys who could leak information. He is in Japan and has a tight inner circle that has no motivation or incentive to give "favorites" or "front runners." I am confident that Hahn submitted a competitive offer and I hope that the meeting was compelling. That's pretty much all you can ask for now.

This is exactly it right, good post.

All I can say is consider the source. More useful info will come along as the week progresses towards the deadline.

This dude tweeting his "source" says Yankees willing to outbid everyone for Tanaka, and also doesn't believe LA interest is there based on their payroll inflating north of $250 million by signing him...

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidWaldstein/s...323314177773568

I'm just posting stuff I find, that's why I say TIFWIW. But within the next 25-48 hours much more will be leaked cause he's going to make a decision by Wednesday to give him time to Fly out and finish medicals for the teams doctors. The last time it was a private doctor, when he flew out to LA to take a physical and meet with interested teams.

I just find it interesting how quiet we have been, I mean quiet. Don't know if it's good or bad. But my good gut feeling is starting to dampen, I'm beginning to think he's going to sign elsewhere as expected.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
If Close and Tanaka really wanted teams to keep quiet, you'd have to imagine they'd appreciate what the Sox (and Dbacks to a similar extent) have done to keep tight lipped.

Weren't the Sox the only team that publicly recognized their meeting with MT?

Yeah, until we start hearing "Tanaka has reached an agreement with Team X", we haven't heard anything at all. There's no way that most American journalists, let alone bloggers, have a close enough relationship with Japanese baseball sources that they're getting anything reliable. If they're hearing anything at all, it's from the US clubs and I promise they don't know anything until Tanaka tells them who he's picking.

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 2h

I'm looking forward to having White Sox general manager Rick Hahn in studio on Tuesday on sports talk live! @sportstalkchi

Expand

Why is Hahn doing tv when he should be on the phone with Tanaka agent trying to get him to sign?

Edited by dayan024

Dude's a f***ing Cubs fan. I could tweet out "hear it's down to #Dodgers, #Yankees, and #WhiteSox" and have as much credibility and bias.

It's a bulls*** report. SERIOUSLY, nothing is coming out until pen hits paper or, at the very least, he is actually near a decision.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)

You're absolutely correct. But the leaks are coming from the teams sides. Somone in the Cubs and Yankees are leaking $ and terms which then leads this tweeters to hypothisize, im guesssing. And I think it's ironic you're hearing the most comin from the two teams who are most desperate for Tanaka.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)

I'm looking forward to having White Sox general manager Rick Hahn in studio on Tuesday on sports talk live! @sportstalkchi

Expand

Why is Hahn doing tv when he should be on the phone with Tanaka agent trying to get him to sign?

I think Hahn,KW,and even JR have said and done all they can to sway this guy to come here

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)

Expand

Christ, it's probably a 15 minute spot, if that. It'll probably take an hour out of his day. If they lose Tanaka over an hour's worth of time with Hahn doing a service to the fans, then he's far too finicky and I don't want someone like that on the team to begin with.

Relax dude. It's 4:40 AM in Tokyo. Tanaka is going to have the final say. If anything happens today, it's likely going to be closer to 8 PM than it is right now.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
You're absolutely correct. But the leaks are coming from the teams sides. Somone in the Cubs and Yankees are leaking $ and terms which then leads this tweeters to hypothisize, im guesssing. And I think it's ironic you're hearing the most comin from the two teams who are most desperate for Tanaka.

How do we know that Cubs and Yankees officials are really "leaking" this? I'm telling you, every team has been quiet. All these reports are just bloggers trying to make their living off of utter bulls***.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Weren't the Sox the only team that publicly recognized their meeting with MT?

Yes, but they didn't discuss anything afterwards. They said it was exploratory and would provide no further comment to respect Tanaka's wishes.

Meanwhile these other franchises are having numbers leaked, discussing what happened, etc.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Dude's a f***ing Cubs fan. I could tweet out "hear it's down to #Dodgers, #Yankees, and #WhiteSox" and have as much credibility and bias.

It's a bulls*** report. SERIOUSLY, nothing is coming out until pen hits paper or, at the very least, he is actually near a decision.

Like I said man, I'm just posting stuff I find. It's a lot better than the last 20 pages of cox, and star wars conversations. I don't buy it either but just trying to pass along the info.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)

You think they are going to be tweeting everything truthfully and honestly? That they wouldn't try and send out mixed signals? That some dude who runs a blog for Chicago Now has inside sources directly within the Cubs' front office that knows for 100% certain fact that it's down to the Cubs and Yankees?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
Yes, but they didn't discuss anything afterwards. They said it was exploratory and would provide no further comment to respect Tanaka's wishes.

Meanwhile these other franchises are having numbers leaked, discussing what happened, etc.

I see, but I still don't buy that these leaked numbers are really coming directly from the teams.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
Like I said man, I'm just posting stuff I find. It's a lot better than the last 20 pages of cox, and star wars conversations. I don't buy it either but just trying to pass along the info.

REALLY?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Well... TIFWIW.... But it may be over for us...

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomLoxas/status/...336944038395904

Tom Loxas reporting its down to NYY and CHC.

Another Cubs dweeb reporting the same:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CubsDen

I appreciate you posting this stuff, because it's relevant, but every single time, I or someone else will point out that it's conjecture, speculation, and bulls***.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
I see, but I still don't buy that these leaked numbers are really coming directly from the teams.

Does Tanaka know that for certain though? What if the leaked reports match the contract offers and he goes "Well, this is exactly what I didn't want them to do."