Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
Pleading ignorance on all of this, but at this stage, is there any possibility of a stealth candidate? Is there any chance we will wake up in the next few days and read that the Red Sox or Angels or Rangers swooped in and signed this guy? How do we know for certain no other team than who has been reported all along didn't also make a "real" offer?

Definitely.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)
What is the need for Japanese pop stars are ther in LA? I am guessing none.

LA is arguably the entertainment capital of the world, so if she cares about her career shell probably have way more opportunities living in LA than Chicago.

Not many aspiring musicians/movie stars move to Chicago, thats just a fact.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 17m

Scout with team in pursuit of Tanaka believes Tanaka will look for a 7th year on a deal, or at least option years in addition to 6

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 12m

Team exec over the weekend cautioned to me that offers are constantly changing in a sweepstakes as intense as Tanaka. Be mindful of that.

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 7m

Re: Tanaka...have heard his agent and team execs involved keeping especially tight seal on talks. Lots of reporting seems to be speculation

Speculation is the PC way of saying "making s*** up".

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:05 PM)
Definitely.

I trust neither Mr. Moreno's "Oh, he doesn't fit into our budget at this time" claptrap, nor do I believe the Bosox wouldn't try to steal this guy away from the Yanks, who could really use him. I'm wary of both of those organizations at the moment!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
LA is arguably the entertainment capital of the world, so if she cares about her career shell probably have way more opportunities living in LA than Chicago.

Not many aspiring musicians/movie stars move to Chicago, thats just a fact.

Again, how many Japanese pop stars are currently working in LA?

As far as I can tell when looking through my Directv, there aren't any Japanese programs produced in the USA. She is going to do her work in Japan.

If she supposedly prefers LA for her career, she is fooling herself.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)

As far as I can tell when looking through my Directv, there aren't any Japanese programs produced in the USA. She is going to do her work in Japan.

Its an easier flight home...

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
Once I was part of a marching band. We wore these really cool wristbands. A long, narrow band of cloud was above us. Doors are banded with iron to make them stronger, but the marching band is stronger than those doors. Oh and there was a band of caribou. Hope I don't get banned!

(I found 8 different definitions for band and used as many as I could)

If we get Tanaka and thus remember this thread fondly, this is a good POTY candidate

But Mrs. Tanaka is still uprooting her entire life to come overseas and support her husband. I still think that's the biggest thing. Who says she isn't overly excited about this opportunity? Besides, who f***in cares. Masahiro san is the one making decisions & this is exactly why he was so recently at the party of the honorable Mr. Tazakazi.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
But Mrs. Tanaka is still uprooting her entire life to come overseas and support her husband. I still think that's the biggest thing. Who says she isn't overly excited about this opportunity? Besides, who f***in cares. Masahiro san is the one making decisions & this is exactly why he was so recently at the party of the honorable Mr. Tazakazi.

What does the party have to do with it?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)

How many artists record in LA? How many non-American stars try and break into the American movies/music/etc.

Its just nonsense to dismiss it.

It may be a reason, it may not be a reason, but if you are in the Entertainment industry, LA is a much better location than Chicago. I love Chicago, I hate LA, but those are the facts and theres no point in posting on a message board if we arent going to be honest with ourselves.

LA has some obvious appeal to any person, and could easily have even greater appeal to someone like Masahiro. AFAIK, LA is the best baseball market for a person that hopes to run into people that speak Japanese to play in. Maybe it doesn't matter to him. Maybe it doesn't matter enough that there are other things ($$$?) that are more important

Who WOULDN'T want to live in LA?! I moved out here from Chicago 2 years ago, and I love it. I totally see why she'd want to live here.

BTW I'm wearing flip flops and shorts today, and it's actually hot in my office.

How's the weather in Chi-town? :shades

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
Who WOULDN'T want to live in LA?! I moved out here from Chicago 2 years ago, and I love it. I totally see why she'd want to live here.

BTW I'm wearing flip flops and shorts today, and it's actually hot in my office.

How's the weather in Chi-town? :shades

A beautiful 29. Better than the -8 we're getting tomorrow.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
And got in Sports Illustrated!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...10304/index.htm

And Cowley is no longer a columnist and has nothing to do with baseball.

Rongey used to post here as well.

Ahhhh yes I remember the sports illustrated story all to well. I would say after time has passed I was pretty accurate too Lol