2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
I know it's a couple of years old, but we watched Safety Not Guaranteed over the weekend. I don't understand all of the positive reviews, it seemed very generic to me.

Aubrey Plaza seems like one of those actresses/comedians that's either going be hated or loved, it's hard to be in-between about her, a lot like Sarah Silverman or Melissa McCarthy.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
Saw Gravity last night and I thought it was quite good. Had a bit of a lull in the middle, and I like reading all the theories people have about what actually happened.

What theories are there as to what actually happened? Did I miss something? Serious question.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
What theories are there as to what actually happened? Did I miss something? Serious question.

Well the theory that the director actually wanted us all to realize is Bullock's "rebirth" towards the end of the movie. The scene where she is floating in the fetal position with the tether acting as her umbilical cord, her crawling out of the mud (primordial soup), walking on 4 legs, then 2 legs, then bent over, then erect, ala Darwin's theory of evolution. Those are the clues that were meant to happen.

But others have thought maybe she died up in space, and the paradise island she happened to land next to was actually "Heaven", like in the show LOST. I REALLY wanted her to find a red shoe on the beach, so we'd know for sure that it was heaven and she'd be reunited with her daughter again.

There are some other theories too if you google "Gravity ending explained" or something.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Well the theory that the director actually wanted us all to realize is Bullock's "rebirth" towards the end of the movie. The scene where she is floating in the fetal position with the tether acting as her umbilical cord, her crawling out of the mud (primordial soup), walking on 4 legs, then 2 legs, then bent over, then erect, ala Darwin's theory of evolution. Those are the clues that were meant to happen.

But others have thought maybe she died up in space, and the paradise island she happened to land next to was actually "Heaven", like in the show LOST. I REALLY wanted her to find a red shoe on the beach, so we'd know for sure that it was heaven and she'd be reunited with her daughter again.

There are some other theories too if you google "Gravity ending explained" or something.

The first graf isn't a theory, it is just symbolism. No secret there.

Hadn't thought about the Heaven angle, that's sort of interesting. But I don't think that is what they were going for.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
The first graf isn't a theory, it is just symbolism. No secret there.

Hadn't thought about the Heaven angle, that's sort of interesting. But I don't think that is what they were going for.

They weren't, they were going for the rebirth angle. I caught all of it except for the Evolution thing.

Everyone it talking about Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson, but that movie has ended up disappointing at the box office, even though it's a very good (not great) picture.

Supposedly, there's a rumor flying around that the Hankses (along with Rita Wilson) and Oprah have worn out their welcome a little bit in Hollywood, but who knows about that one.

Jonah Hill with more career acting nominations than Robert Redford? His All is Lost role looked to be getting a nomination about 2 months ago but that movie didn't quite resound either.

Blackfish didn't survive the cut for documentaries, but The Act of Killing did.

Some strange choices in the best foreign picture, with Blue is the Warmest Color not making it, along with The Past.

Momentum has gone away from Captain Phillips, Fruitvale and Her and shifted in the direction of Blue Jasmine, Dallas Buyer's Club (Leto and McConaughey) and 12 Years a Slave.

Nothing for Brie Larson/Short Term 12, another surprise.

The academy really has to re-establish their joke of a selection process for documentaries. They routinely pick the most routine crap and miss out on docs that become known as classic. For "stories we tell" and blackfish to be left off is just ridiculous.

Agree about Blackfish being hosed. I have Act of Killing on my list on Netflix but maybe Bfish is too controversial which would be lame.

Would've liked to have seen Michael B Jordan nominated but Best Actor is stacked. Brie Larson for best actress but Cate Blanchett should win by a landslide.

I feel like an outcast for not loving American Hustle. Thought it was average and JLaw was the only one who stood out.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
Agree about Blackfish being hosed. I have Act of Killing on my list on Netflix but maybe Bfish is too controversial which would be lame.

Would've liked to have seen Michael B Jordan nominated but Best Actor is stacked. Brie Larson for best actress but Cate Blanchett should win by a landslide.

I feel like an outcast for not loving American Hustle. Thought it was average and JLaw was the only one who stood out.

I feel like nobody outside of critics loved American Hustle.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
I feel like nobody outside of critics loved American Hustle.

I finally went back and finished American Hustle, and I have to say, the last hour is infinitely better than the first hour. Overall it was a decent movie, but man, it was so terrible to get through in the beginning and then the ending was great,

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:40 PM)
Ditto. Definitely doesn't seem like something most people would consider a classic several years down the road. I'm quite shocked at how many awards it keeps getting nominated for.

I can actually see why JLaw got nominated. She was the only one in it that had any energy. Her scenes were the best ones in the film. Should've been in it more.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:40 PM)
Ditto. Definitely doesn't seem like something most people would consider a classic several years down the road. I'm quite shocked at how many awards it keeps getting nominated for.

I think it's almost as if David O. Russell is getting a "career" award for his entire body of work, rather than that particular film, specifically.

SHORT TERM 12....excellent, excellent movie. Brie Larson deserved a Best Actress nomination.

BLUE JASMINE....sad/depressing "Bernie Madoff" movie with two very very solid performances by Blanchette and Hawkins, with the former the odds-on favorite to win the Oscar at this point.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)

I seem to be one of the few that didn't think Gravity was all everyone has made it to be. Good, but not great as people say. Though I didn't catch everything you mentioned above. I'll watch it again and give it another chance. I wasn't particularly struck by Bullock being able to carry that movie basically by herself.