2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HER is an intriguing "high concept" film, but I'm not sure I would recommend someone spending good movie in a theatre for it.

It's almost like Lars and the Real Girl, in a sense. Except the relationship isn't with a blow-up doll, it's with an OS.

It's almost like they tried to make When Harry Met Sally for the internet age.

I'll take Travis Bickle's struggle with loneliness and disillusionment anytime.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
Wactched Her last night. It surprisingly had a lot of funny scenes. I got a little bored towards the end, but it was for sure a different movie and I think I liked it.

Amy Adams has a smaller role in the movie than the trailers would have you believe.

If you like Joaquin Phoenix or are particularly enamored with Scarlett Johannson's voice, this is the movie for you. I'm somewhere in the middle on it. It's definitely not the type of movie you have to see in a theatre to enjoy 100%.

Spike Jonze has always been known for being a quirky director, so this fits with his entire body of work. A little bit of Soderbergh to him...although he's also mainstream/commercial when he chooses those projects.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Amy Adams has a smaller role in the movie than the trailers would have you believe.

If you like Joaquin Phoenix or are particularly enamored with Scarlett Johannson's voice, this is the movie for you. I'm somewhere in the middle on it. It's definitely not the type of movie you have to see in a theatre to enjoy 100%.

Spike Jonze has always been known for being a quirky director, so this fits with his entire body of work. A little bit of Soderbergh to him...although he's also mainstream/commercial when he chooses those projects.

I actually didn't even recognize that it was Amy Adams until about 3/4 of the movie was over. They made her look pretty homely with the frazzled hair and apparently no make-up.

An interesting tidbit. They did the entire movie with another woman doing the voice over for the operating system. Then in the editing they decided she didn't fit very well, so they asked Scarlett Johannson to come in and redo all the dialogue.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20327336_2...0.html#30077924

Predictions for the Golden Globes movie categories.

A bit surprised that American Hustle has more momentum going for it than 12 Years a Slave (part of that due to AH still being in theatres), but that could/should easily be reversed come Academy Awards time. (Jennifer Lawrence vs. the unknown Yale-trained actress from 12 Years a Slave is the most interesting, and Gravity/12 Years A Slave/American Hustle for best picture).

Also agree about HER deserving some points for originality...compared to all these comic book/novel/franchise movies we've been subjected to.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
Holy s***, Lone Survivor. Intense. Pee before you see it, because there's not a down point to leave to do so.

YES. Watched it this afternoon. It was incredible.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 12:23 AM)
What is up with the ending of Prisoners?

Did you not like it? I thought it was brilliant.

I saw Her this weekend. I think it was my favorite film of the year for some reasons even beside the movie. For one, it was refreshing to see a film shot with soft lighting and bright colors that was focused in a city. For two, there was so many sidetracks this film could have taken that would have ruined it (angle of nobody talking anymore, it being a taboo that wasn't accepted, etc) that he ignored and hyperfocused it on this guy and his life. Spike Jonze's vision of the future was also incredibly entertaining.

I saw The Wolf of Wall Street over the weekend.

I liked it a lot. I'm off-and-on with DiCaprio, but he was great in it.

I never like Jonah Hill in any movie, but he was great.

Margot Robbie is very easy on the eyes.

Overall, a very enjoyable movie. Nothing earth-shattering, and I don't believe 20% of it happened as depicted, but I liked it.