Astros C Jason Castro

GGajewski18

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Unfortunately I don't see any single prospect on the farm that I'd trade Castro for. Houston would at least demand our 3 best guys, probably 4. And given the scarcity of young, high quality catchers who are cheap and under control, they would have no reason to settle for anything less than a haul.

Just look at what AJ brought back from the Giants for example. Look at what someone like Bedard brought back to the Orioles. In a sane world Castro should have higher value now than either of those guys did at the time they were dealt.

Would you gut the top end of your farm for him? I'd definitely consider it if doing so would mean trading guys who are likely 3+ years away anyway. This is the kind of move that would bring that contention window a lot closer. We're also probably in line for a top-12 or so pick next year even with Castro, so another high pick is probably coming after this season.

But then maybe you "just" trade Quintana. That makes it a lot harder to trade Danks if he rebuilds his value. We should probably be trying to extend Q.

The problem is that the Astros aren't going to take guys who are 3+ years away and people here haven't been talking about guys 3+ years away. The list someone put up earlier included Danish, but also included Johnson. Danish + Tim Anderson as the key guys doesn't seem likely to get it done.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
I'm pretty sure that Jason Castro is worth more than Quintana. There's certainly no way we'd ever get both him and Altuve for Quintana and Sanchez. I'd say QUintana and Sanchez sounds about right for Castro alone.

I agree. They are selling high on Castro just like we are selling high on Q right now. They get a front end of the rotation starter for years to come. We get an allstar catcher for years to come. This deals makes too much sense if you ask me.

He'll, I'd offer to throw in Dunn and $7 million as well, but now I'm getting silly. Isn't Dunn from Houston?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
Ha, not sure what happened. Meant to say that I don't believe the Sox are in a position to be trading away young resources like this in any form. They need to be stockpiling those. This is the kind of move you make when you are trying to put the team over the top, not to merely add a piece. Plus, I really don't like how high they'd be buying on Castro either.

I just don't think it makes sense.

Agreed 100%.

Since people seem to be so high on this, let me just ask this - what's the difference between acquiring Castro (or someone similar) next year versus this year? I don't see him being more expensive. I think the Sox will be in a better position to deal prospects at that point with another year of drafting, developing, and acquiring prospects. They'll know for certain whether or not acquiring a catcher is a good idea. I don't see them being competitive this year even if they do acquire Castro without giving up Quintana. So what reason do they have to acquire him?

It simply doesn't make sense yet.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
Since people seem to be so high on this, let me just ask this - what's the difference between acquiring Castro (or someone similar) next year versus this year? I don't see him being more expensive. I think the Sox will be in a better position to deal prospects at that point with another year of drafting, developing, and acquiring prospects. They'll know for certain whether or not acquiring a catcher is a good idea. I don't see them being competitive this year even if they do acquire Castro without giving up Quintana. So what reason do they have to acquire him?

It simply doesn't make sense yet.

Well, the biggest reason is that he may be traded somewhere else instead.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Well, the biggest reason is that he may be traded somewhere else instead.

Then you acquire someone else. Wieters could certainly be available too, plus you can probably trade for Saltalamacchia too. There are going to be other players available next offseason if necessary.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Then you acquire someone else. Wieters could certainly be available too, plus you can probably trade for Saltalamacchia too. There are going to be other players available next offseason if necessary.

I disagree. Both those guys are older, come with less control, and are worse. And they may not be available.

I agree with your general premise, but in the current situation, we're talking about a C that is young, controllable, MLB-ready, and left-handed. I think he fits perfectly with the window-to-contention that Hahn is building right now with a bunch of guys that are ready now or next year. I also don't think a guy that fits that well comes along every offseason.

I don't know what the price is and I don't know if we should pay it, but I do think that this is one of those trade candidates (there aren't many) that the Sox should consider trading prospects for at this point. He's going to be useful for at least four years, and that's about as far out as you can plan for a team anyway.

Edited by Eminor3rd

I've posted in the 1,016 "We need a catcher" threads that priority ONE for the Sox offense should be to acquire Jason Castro. But I am just a fan.

Some of the reading I have done on Castro would suggest that A) he isn't great defensively, B) he can't stay healthy for a full season and might be ticketed for 1B/DH later in his career and C) he will want to go to free agency (limiting his long term value to the team trading for him. Wait, thats 3 things not 2.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
I'm pretty sure that Jason Castro is worth more than Quintana. There's certainly no way we'd ever get both him and Altuve for Quintana and Sanchez. I'd say QUintana and Sanchez sounds about right for Castro alone.

I agree. The question isn't who else to ask for from them, it is what else will they want from us? And they will be right to ask. A catcher under team control with the talent and ability he has is worth a lot. Catcher is such an unbelievably thin position around the league. If you can get a Jason Castro, you do it. The question, of course, is whether we can eventually replace Q? Perhaps not this year. However, I feel more comfortable that we can do something about the rotation that I do that we can get a catcher as good as Castro at any price.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)
And a bunch of Cubans playing with a guy named Castro - the tasteless gags are endless.

Well with that last name there must be some type of relation. It's just like all the Smiths' and Jones' and and Wongs' etc :lol:

The price for Castro is likely too high. The sox have filled a lot without hurting the big league club. Quintana is way too high a price for the sox to pay, though it would be fair for Houston.

If the Sox didn't think Salty was worth the $7 mill. A year, they won't be trading Q. Q on the open market is worth more than that. And the sox should add another SP, not give up a #2. Or the minor league depth the sox need in guys like Beck.

Help at C should come from a defense first guy this year, if they can't add a decent bat. Trading De Aza or Viciedo should get an upgrade over Flowers/ phegley.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
The price for Castro is likely too high.

Sounds like it. And any similar players will be too. McCann at $85M and Salty at $21M look like lost opportunities.

Which puts us at targeting a less-proven prospect, probably, or an older guy like Jaso, if he recovers.

Looking ahead to the 2015 FA's, and their age that year:

Ryan Doumit (34)

Nick Hundley (31) - $5MM club option

Gerald Laird (35)

Russell Martin (32)

Jeff Mathis (32) - $1.5MM club option

Wil Nieves (36)

A.J. Pierzynski (38)

David Ross (38)

Geovany Soto (32)

Kurt Suzuki (31)

Who floats your boat?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
Sounds like it. And any similar players will be too. McCann at $85M and Salty at $21M look like lost opportunities.

Which puts us at targeting a less-proven prospect, probably, or an older guy like Jaso, if he recovers.

Looking ahead to the 2015 FA's, and their age that year:

Ryan Doumit (34)

Nick Hundley (31) - $5MM club option

Gerald Laird (35)

Russell Martin (32)

Jeff Mathis (32) - $1.5MM club option

Wil Nieves (36)

A.J. Pierzynski (38)

David Ross (38)

Geovany Soto (32)

Kurt Suzuki (31)

Who floats your boat?

From that list, I like the idea of Martin on a 2-3 year deal. But we're talking about Castro now, so it's quite likely that there will be other names that become available too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
From that list, I like the idea of Martin on a 2-3 year deal. But we're talking about Castro now, so it's quite likely that there will be other names that become available too.

And if pitchers from the minors step up this year...we could be in a much better position to continue trading pitching next offseason than we are right now. We might also have a better idea of whether we have extra moveable guys in the infield.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
And if pitchers from the minors step up this year...we could be in a much better position to continue trading pitching next offseason than we are right now. We might also have a better idea of whether we have extra moveable guys in the infield.

There may not be a need for a catcher either. I don't have much faith in Flowers as anything more than a backup, but I could certainly see Phegley or Nieto establishing themselves as acceptable starting caliber players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 10:34 PM)

Exactly. The Sox don't have extra talent to trade right now for a C, besides De Aza. But after another season in the minors, some guys may step up, and improve their value. I was thinking infield guys as well. But also, OF guys-Thompson, Hawkins, etc. Not to mention Viciedo, if he improves his numbers from 2013. I still think his free swinging ways are a big part of what the sox want to get away from. But could have decent value to other teams.

I'm thinking when we deal guys like De Aza, Keppinger and Gillaspie, I think we will mostly get pitching depth. Maybe a solid pitcher or 2 for De Aza, but the other 2 more fringe kind of guys that can be turned into solid 4/5th starters or relievers (think how we picked up Quintana as a free agent who was cut from the Mets and Yankees before and the recent Surkamp pickup).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)

If Hahn and co. wanted Salty and thought he was a good option for the future, I feel like they would have signed him. I believe he goes against what Hahn would prefer with low OBP, high strikeout rate, and not that great of a defensive player either. He does provide some pop though and a switch hitter that doesn't hurt.

Wieters on the other hand seems like someone Hahn would like (especially if he sticks around his 2011 or 2012 numbers and not his 2013 numbers), but he's about to hit the market soon and probably gonna get more money than the White Sox would likely give out.

Castro, I believe, fits the Hahn mold the best. Lefty, won't be cheap but probably won't be crazy expensive, some pop, and there's hope his K rate will decrease and walk rate increase as he develops as a hitter over the next couple years.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
Exactly. The Sox don't have extra talent to trade right now for a C, besides De Aza. But after another season in the minors, some guys may step up, and improve their value. I was thinking infield guys as well. But also, OF guys-Thompson, Hawkins, etc. Not to mention Viciedo, if he improves his numbers from 2013. I still think his free swinging ways are a big part of what the sox want to get away from. But could have decent value to other teams.

Or some of the young prospects don't do well and lose some value.

I believe its all about self scouting and trading the players you firmly believe won't be good and keeping the ones you do believe will be good. Not hoarding fringe prospects just because you don't have a lot.

I like Castro, but not at the price of the feathered serpent. The reason he's supposedly on the block is because he's resistant to signing away some of his FA years. That means you're most likely going to be paying him above-market money in 3 years or he's going to disappoint.

Considering the state of the Org right now, I'm going to stick with Q for now and look to address the catcher position elsewhere.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 01:45 AM)
Or some of the young prospects don't do well and lose some value.

I believe its all about self scouting and trading the players you firmly believe won't be good and keeping the ones you do believe will be good. Not hoarding fringe prospects just because you don't have a lot.

The sox don't have the top prospects that would take to land Castro, esp. If you take Q out. Depending on who develops after this year, the Sox might. IMO, the sox aren't in the position to acquire a guy like Castro right now.