2014-2015 NCAA football thread

This is how in tune I am with the behind the scenes of college football. I thought the Final 4 were going to be determined by a mix of computers and humans, in a way like the BCS, not a committee. That just asks for trouble unless you extend the playoffs to at least 16 IMO.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:46 PM)
There's also a good chance they miss out completely due to not having a championship game.

There's not a good chance of that happening at all. The committee moving TCU to #3 last week further reinforced that.

If FSU loses this week it's also more likely that Baylor gets in than OSU unless OSU absolutely dominates Wisconsin. The committee takes injuries into account, so OSU is going to have to prove that they're still one of the best four teams in the country without Barrett at the helm. That will be tough.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
2 years?

I think it would be a good hire. Nubs clearly wanted someone who would make Nebraska their dream job for years.

Never underestimate the alumni's love for a true son.

It might not work out but that's why you don't make change for change's sake.

I want someone who wins stuff that matters. At worst conference titles every couple of years. Not just wins over subpar teams. I am a Nebraska fan and most I talk to do not want Frost as the head man now. He is in his 2nd year as an OC now. If he did not play at NU he would not be considered for the job. If he would be hired as HC at NU and turned out to be great then I would be happy as hell. But our AD Shawn Eichorst would be banking his own job on a OC that just took over Chip Kelly's system in Oregon and would be incredibly dumb for doing that. Frost is smart, he's recruited well at Oregon, and has been around some brilliant coaches in his time. Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Chip Kelly, so it would not shock me if he were to be successful as a head coach. It also wouldn't shock me if he fails due to not having much experience.

If Frost were to be hired and be successful it would depend on his assistants he brought in. This is where Pelini failed miserably. He hired and promoted his buddies instead of getting solid coaches. Instead of promoting Vince Marrow to a full time assistant job and getting rid of Barney Cotton, he lets Marrow leave to go to Kentucky. His recruiting in Ohio then vanishes. He could have hired Chad Morriss as his OC instead of Tim Beck. He fails to do this. Morriss goes to Clemson instead and is now heading to SMU as the head coach there. He could have hired Doug Colman as his LB coach. The guy is an awesome recruiter and knows NJ area very well. Instead Colman is now a coach for the Houston Texans and Pelini hires Ross Els who is terrible.

Right now nobody knows who Nebraska's next coach will be except for 3 or 4 people in the loop, ie the AD, Chancellor, the new coach and his wife. The BOR are out of the loop and the top boosters right now don't know. Brett Bielema being a name for the job that popped up yesterday was complete BS and most likely started by his agent to get him and his assistants more $. Our AD's mentor was Wisconsin's AD Barry Alvarez, and Bielema left on bad terms. Not to mention Bielema's large buyout.

Every day there is a new candidate these are all names being thrown around:

Jim Tressel, Scott Frost, Jim McIlwaine, Dan Mullen, Joe Moglia, Kirby Smart, Craig Bohl, Mark Richt, Brett Bielema, Kyle Whittingham, Paul Chryst, Mark Stoops, Pat Narduzzi, David Shaw, Jim Harbaugh, Greg Schiano, Tom Herman, Pat Fitzgerald, John Gruden and Jerry Kill to name a few. No one knows anything.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 11:59 PM)
If Ohio State wins they should jump tcu. Rock laid it out before.

No they shouldn't, but I'm not going down this road again. I honestly think it's more likely the Big 12 gets two teams instead of zero teams.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
The conference that should be worried is the ACC. You have an undefeated team that's won 25 or whatever consecutive games behind three one loss teams and close to the edge of the playoff.

Eh they aren't really. It's going to take some getting used to compared to the computers but I don't put a whole lot of stock into their #4 ranking at the moment. Win their conference title game and they are solidly top 3.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
The conference that should be worried is the ACC. You have an undefeated team that's won 25 or whatever consecutive games behind three one loss teams and close to the edge of the playoff.

They are playing the #11 ranked team this weekend, so they have nothing to worry about it if they win. If they were facing an unranked opponent and they struggled again, then maybe there would be cause for concern.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
They are playing the #11 ranked team this weekend, so they have nothing to worry about it if they win. If they were facing an unranked opponent and they struggled again, then maybe there would be cause for concern.

And undefeated power 5 team will never be left out.

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 07:54 AM)
OK thank you. Was he ever contacted by NU?

People mention an unlimited number of jobs to him, dude is happy as a president. It's more likely he would run for political office at this point than coach.

I simply don't see the basis for dropping TCU two spots after winning this week, and I don't think they'll be punished for doing so. A win over Wisconsin is simply not that important. At that point, TCU might as well drop 3 spots if Baylor beats Kansas State.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 08:04 AM)
I simply don't see the basis for dropping TCU two spots for winning this week, and I don't think they'll be punished for doing so. A win over Wisconsin is simply not that important. At that point, TCU might as well drop 3 spots if Baylor beats Kansas State.

Wisconsin's loss to Northwestern may end up costing Ohio State more. Wisconsin also hasn't beaten a single current top 25 team. The only major two loss team lower than them is Missouri, and they have zero top 25 wins and a loss to Indiana.

I simply don't see the basis for dropping TCU two spots after winning this week, and I don't think they'll be punished for doing so. A win over Wisconsin is simply not that important. At that point, TCU might as well drop 3 spots if Baylor beats Kansas State.

They don't "drop" the entire ranking is reset and recalculated. It's not a poll or a computer. Conference title game (which is an extra game overall) against a highly ranked opponent as well as OSU having the best overall win and more wins against .500 or better opponents (almost twice as many). The math is there to figure out. Of course beating Wisconsin is probably not going to happen anyway so the top four should stay the same though FSU will jump TCU.

If both big 12 teams are left out and they have to send a conference champion to their designated bowl game than Baylor will be jumping over TCU because of head to head. So technically they could jump them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
They don't "drop" the entire ranking is reset and recalculated. It's not a poll or a computer. Conference title game (which is an extra game overall) against a highly ranked opponent as well as OSU having the best overall win and more wins against .500 or better opponents (almost twice as many). The math is there to figure out. Of course beating Wisconsin is probably not going to happen anyway so the top four should stay the same though FSU will jump TCU.

Ohio State already has the best overall win and more wins against .500 or better opponents. Why are they ranked two spots lower now?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Ohio State already has the best overall win and more wins against .500 or better opponents. Why are they ranked two spots lower now?

Because they have a worse loss and haven't played their extra game and conference title game yet against a highly ranked opponent. Something TCU cannot bring to the table.

All of that is what adds up to them jumping TCU and I haven't waivered from that.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
Because they have a worse loss and haven't played their extra game and conference title game yet against a highly ranked opponent. Something TCU cannot bring to the table.

All of that is what adds up to them jumping TCU and I haven't waivered from that.

OSU will jump them for the following in no particular order

Program prestige and national scale notoriety

Big 10 has more cache than the depleted Big 12

Fan base and draw especially to a semifinal game

Baylor is in the same situation as TCU

If this was a Texas/OU v OSU compare or TCU v Minnestoa the case may be different. TCU being in the limelight is not what advertisers want. The common fan, ME will watch OSU or Texas before a TCU. TCU's draw nationally is closer to Boise St than to the major teams.

Just my $.02

I know it will bother the local fanbases and give ESPN something to rile people up about, but let's face it...as long as Florida State doesn't miss the playoffs as an undefeated team, I'm not going to be mad about the team missing it. Someone will always miss it.

You know how to avoid missing the playoffs? Don't lose.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
The odds of beating wisconsin with a 3rd string QB is very slim anyway so none of this is probably relevant

Yeah, but it's still fun arguing over what someone else's opinion will be over resumes that are completely unbalanced. :lol: