2014-2015 NCAA football thread

Why wouldn't the ACC take them?

ACC is at 14 members for football and 15 for other sports so I don't think they are looking for more members. When Maryland left for the BIG, it came down to Louisville vs Cincinnati vs UConn for that spot and Louisville's recent Sugar Bowl win and Top 10 ranking pushed them over the top.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like Illini will be the odd man out for bowl season down to PSU and Illini. NCAA making PSU eligible for this bowl season and they travel well all but dooms Illini. This speaks volumes about how the outside view Tim Becky Beck Beckman as coach. Beckman is a lousy coach. No bowl and stuck with Beckman and Banks another year will have Illini home attendance lowest is 30 years. Mike Thomas you reap what you sew.

Edited by Soxfest

Looks like Illini will be the odd man out for bowl season down to PSU and Illini. NCAA making PSU eligible for this bowl season and they travel well all but dooms Illini. This speaks volumes about how the outside view Tim Becky Beck Beckman as coach. Beckman is a lousy coach. No bowl and stuck with Beckman and Banks another year will have Illini home attendance lowest is 30 years. Mike Thomas you reap what you sew.

Big Ten having more eligible teams than tie-ins does not automatically leave Illinois out. There are invariably other conferences that can't fill all their bowl slots.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
Big Ten having more eligible teams than tie-ins does not automatically leave Illinois out. There are invariably other conferences that can't fill all their bowl slots.

I have been told by someone I trust, Illini have been told very high chance they are out depending on Ohio ST/Wis game. My family and I have been season ticket holders 40 years.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
ACC is at 14 members for football and 15 for other sports so I don't think they are looking for more members. When Maryland left for the BIG, it came down to Louisville vs Cincinnati vs UConn for that spot and Louisville's recent Sugar Bowl win and Top 10 ranking pushed them over the top.

I think you're overrating that Sugar Bowl win. It's all about money.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)

Apparently with the new bowl system, some of the mid-major conferences forced the bowls to include them in their contignency plans. I'll try to find a link later, but I think the Cactus Bowl has a Big 12 tie-in. If the Big-12 can't fill their spot, then they must take a Mountain West team, not any at-large team. Same thing with the New Orleans Bowl and Conference USA.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
Apparently with the new bowl system, some of the mid-major conferences forced the bowls to include them in their contignency plans. I'll try to find a link later, but I think the Cactus Bowl has a Big 12 tie-in. If the Big-12 can't fill their spot, then they must take a Mountain West team, not any at-large team. Same thing with the New Orleans Bowl and Conference USA.

I'd say it's realistic for Illinois to miss out on a bowl game if Wisconsin loses to Ohio State given the way the contracts are set up for the other conferences. The Big Ten would then likely only get Ohio State and Michigan State into either the Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, Peach Bowl or Cotton Bowl, meaning they'd have eight bowl-eligible teams for the seven contractual spots.There isn't a plethora of bowl games that are searching for extra teams, either. For instance, the ACC has contracts with five bowl games and already has five bowl-eligible teams. That number will increase to six if Temple beats Tulane on Saturday. Conference USA only has contracts with six bowl games, but has eight bowl-eligible teams. Granted, one of those is UAB, which is dropping football, but there's still seven other teams for only six spots. The Big 12 might help out if Baylor and TCU both gain a spot in one of the six New Year's Day bowls and Oklahoma State loses to Oklahoma, meaning only four Big 12 teams would be eligible to fill the six contractual obligations they have.

Edited by Soxfest