2014-2015 NFL Football thread

Its probably because of the suffering for years and years with Angelo as the GM but despite whatever happens with the coaching staff Id be ok with seeing some more from Emery. Even though he has missed on some draft picks he at least has displayed an ability to identify the team needs and attempt to address them. He did a good job upgrading our offensive line which had been a trainwreck for years and he at least attempted to upgrade the defense this offseason. I guess the test for me with Emery will be his willingness to pull the plug on Trestman and his entire staff. I realize that gms are tied to their coaching hires for better or worse but Id rather have a gm who can admit he made a mistake and try to fix it than one who stubbornly wont make any changes because they dont want to make themselves look bad.

As far as Cutler goes, I think we can all agree now that the contract looks really bad but at the same time we have to understand how difficult of a situation that must have been for a new gm. Considering what we had given up to get Cutler and his relationships with our skill players and that he had already been in Trestmans offense for a year and showed some signs of improvement I can see how it would be difficult to let him go. If whoever Emery brought in to play QB didnt work and Cutler went somewhere else and had success hed look a lot worse than just extending Cutler for 3 years.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of coaches.

‏@TomSilverstein

#Packers announce they have signed #Packers coach mike McCarthy to a contract extension.

For a few brief seconds, before I absorbed the information, I just saw "McCarthy" and "signed" and thought, f***, Sox missed out on BMac.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
Mike Glennon sucks. Amazing how anyone ever thought this guy had potential. I guess those people never watched him actually play.

The Buccs are not gonna make the playoffs this year and McCown will be 36 in 2015. At least give Glennon 8 more games to prove he sucks and finally cut him in the offseason.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
The Buccs are not gonna make the playoffs this year and McCown will be 36 in 2015. At least give Glennon 8 more games to prove he sucks and finally cut him in the offseason.

Yeah I really don't think Glennon looked that bad. McCown is not the answer, they should have at least given Glennon the rest of the year to see what they had

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
Yeah I really don't think Glennon looked that bad. McCown is not the answer, they should have at least given Glennon the rest of the year to see what they had

Glennon has 18 career starts and has never once looked like a franchise QB. Not even a flash. He has 1 300+ passing yards in a game so far in his career and that happened this season. Meanwhile we see a guy like Bridgewater doing that in his first career start. In this era of the NFL, you need to have a QB who can take over and win you a game. The days of a game manager leading a team to the promised land are long gone, and that is Glennon's ceiling.

In Glennon's 5 starts this season, 3 times the Bucs have been held under 100 yards in the first half. One of the times they did cross 100 yards in the first half, they got 113 in New Orleans. At home vs Minnesota, it took Glennon to the 4th to cross the century mark.

The Bucs finished 32nd in team passing last year under Glennon. The Bucs are 26th this season and averaging 215YPG passing, and that is with games where they've been down big and teams have played a prevent for 2 quarters.

The Buccs are not gonna make the playoffs this year and McCown will be 36 in 2015. At least give Glennon 8 more games to prove he sucks and finally cut him in the offseason

He's already proven he sucks and I'm sure Lovie would like to finish with a record that is better than 1-15 so that is why he made the switch. I could see Glennon being traded or released near the draft and then drafting a QB in the first round. Keep McCown around for 2015 to teach the new QB.

There is a part of me that wants Glennon to keep starting because I know he'll lead the Bucs to a 2-14 type record. Monday-Saturday I want to see the Bucs lose because I know they arent doing anything this season. But come Sunday I just cant root against them but that doesnt mean I didnt laugh while the Vikings scooped up that fumble and returned it for a TD in OT two weekends ago.

It doesnt help that Tedford had a serious medical issue just a week before the season opener. In the Bucs 3rd preseason game, McCown and the offense looked really good at Buffalo. Now Tedford is out and the OC is a guy who has never been more than a QB coach in college. Unless you have Manning as your QB, not many teams can overcome that.

Peyton Manning wasn't very good in his first couple years either. All QB's don't become great overnight. In a lost season for TB, I think Glennon has shown enough to deserve to play out the year and see how he looks. He has one of the worst lines and running games helping him out right now so it's not like he's in an ideal situation there.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
I think regardless the Bucs will be drafting a QB next spring. Probably in the first round.

First step is getting rid of Lovie Smith.

I still think Love is a good head coach, but he just need a smart mind to take care of the offense

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
Peyton Manning wasn't very good in his first couple years either. All QB's don't become great overnight. In a lost season for TB, I think Glennon has shown enough to deserve to play out the year and see how he looks. He has one of the worst lines and running games helping him out right now so it's not like he's in an ideal situation there.

Manning was a stud by year 2 in the NFL.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
I still think Love is a good head coach, but he just need a smart mind to take care of the offense

This has always been the case with him.

Problem is that he has the power to make personal moves on the offensive side and that should never happen. He has proven that he knows absolutely nothing about offense. Which is the case with a lot of defensive minded coaches. Only difference is they know to stay out of it, Lovie doesn't.

Also, Lovie is supposed to be good with defenses, but the Bucs are last in the NFL in points per game. 30.6.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
This has always been the case with him.

Problem is that he has the power to make personal moves on the offensive side and that should never happen. He has proven that he knows absolutely nothing about offense. Which is the case with a lot of defensive minded coaches. Only difference is they know to stay out of it, Lovie doesn't.

Also, Lovie is supposed to be good with defenses, but the Bucs are last in the NFL in points per game. 30.6.

Defensive line is terrible besides McCoy. Absolutely no pass rush from whoever is playing end. DBs aren't great but most teams DBs will get exposed when the opposing QB has all day to scan the field. Trading Barron was huge, that guy sucked.

In the 7 losses this year, 3 times they've allowed 37+ points and the other 4 have been 22 or under. It's really all or nothing with them. And even when they've played well in games, they've allowed one big play in the fourth quarter in 3 of those games that basically decided the game(STL,MIN,CLE).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
Chiefs are "hosting" the Lions in London next year. That sucks. Giving up one of the league's best home field advantages to go over there.

Other games are Bills/Jaguars and Dolphins/Jets

Chiefs want to to host the Super Bowl, so in order to be considered they needed to host a game in London. Same thing with Miami. The Jaguars are already committed to host a London game every year until 2016.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 05:18 AM)
Anyone up for a Soxtalk FanDuel comp this week?

I'm addicted to this site. Been playing $1 a day on an NBA team. Ginobli not playing last night screwed me.

Ha, another FanDuel addict. Just wait until you start playing weeknight MAC football games. I'm in for a NFL contest this weekend