2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
I actually have not heard of complaints that direct. The ones I've heard are directed more at Jay - get him out of his initial read and he's cooked. Or, be patient and he'll eventually make a mistake. I have not heard that our play calling is too simple and easy to beat. And frankly I don't buy it. Trestman's offense has put up big numbers. Franchise record breaking numbers, even later into the year last year when defenses had time to work on it. Perhaps this is a part of the problem, but definitely not ALL of the problem.

It was Tremond Williams who made the comment, IIRC. I think right now there is blame to be placed everywhere. Bears job for this season and during the bye week is to figure out a way to fix it / make it better and /or demonstrate that they are capable of such.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd and 3, 3rd and 3, 4th and 3 and you don't give it to your RB who is average 7.4 yard per carry in the game and is on pace to beat the all-time single season rushing record.....That horrible playcalling at the end and the 2 fumbles by Murray/Randle really killed them tonight. Should have been an easy win, even despite McCoy's solid game and the defense showing their suck.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)
2nd and 3, 3rd and 3, 4th and 3 and you don't give it to your RB who is average 7.4 yard per carry in the game and is on pace to beat the all-time single season rushing record.....That horrible playcalling at the end and the 2 fumbles by Murray/Randle really killed them tonight. Should have been an easy win, even despite McCoy's solid game and the defense showing their suck.

Romo should have never been back in IMO. Weeden was doing fine. Let Murray win the game. If anything, Romo's shown he usually gives the win to the other team in those situations. He almost gave the ball away twice in that last drive in regulation.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 12:14 AM)
Romo should have never been back in IMO. Weeden was doing fine. Let Murray win the game. If anything, Romo's shown he usually gives the win to the other team in those situations. He almost gave the ball away twice in that last drive in regulation.

I don't disagree with Romo being back in. If they needed a throwing play completed, I'd take Romo over Weeden. However, they didn't NEED a throwing play completed in that OT. They could have very easily ran their way to a win, but instead they forced the hero narrative from Romo again and it failed.

Romo looked like his back was really messed up last night. The way he was walking and holding his arms next to his side when he is walking, that is really not a good sign. He looks like he is about to be on the Toradol plan for the rest of the season, if he makes it

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 01:02 AM)

Yeah that was an awful sequence of play calls. 7 yard run on 1st down and then you thrown 3 straight passes? And none of the passes was a quick screen against a team that had bringing the house all night? That was terrible.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)
Are you going to ignore the fact that opposing defenses have talked about the simplicity of our scheme and the fact that we do a very poor job of running multiple plays out of certain lineups. Obviously take it for what it is worth cause it is coming from the opposition but still alarming nonetheless.

At some point everyone will have to agree that Jay Cutler can make all of the throws needed to play in the NFL but simply does not have the mind needed to be an NFL quarterback.

How many coaches need to dumb down their system for Jay Cutler and then when he does not produce it is the coaches fault and off they go.

Emery and Trestman put heir eggs in the Jay Cutler basket and that is not a good thing to do if you are an NFL coach that likes their job.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 07:47 AM)
At some point everyone will have to agree that Jay Cutler can make all of the throws needed to play in the NFL but simply does not have the mind needed to be an NFL quarterback.

How many coaches need to dumb down their system for Jay Cutler and then when he does not produce it is the coaches fault and off they go.

Emery and Trestman put heir eggs in the Jay Cutler basket and that is not a good thing to do if you are an NFL coach that likes their job.

You don't need to explain it to me, I've already said unless this offense plays really well from here on out, Cutler is done as my QB if it were up to me. Trestman is done too and Emery probably is, although I haven't finalized that decision yet cause I think more of this has to do with just disastrous and non-urgent coaching from a HC in way over his head.

What a joke this franchise is:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...028-column.html

Arians has told friends that a couple of things about his interview with the Bears bothered him. For one, he was asked to do a mock news conference in the course of his interview. Apparently it wasn't enough that he was the reigning coach of the year after taking over the Colts and had been doing news conferences all year.

That is absurd and just ridiculous.

The other thing was the team's insistence that Rod Marinelli remain as defensive coordinator. Arians wasn't against that idea, he just didn't see how Marinelli was going to remain given his close friendship with Smith. When he opted out rather than stay under Trestman it highlighted just how out of touch the team was with its coaching staff.

Again, Arians had an actual clue (as did the other top candidates) of reality where the Bears clearly didn't and they ended up hiring the one coach, desperate enough for a position, and out of touch of the reality that was the friendship between Rod and Lovie. The fact that Emery and others were so surprised just tells you how out of touch they were with the reality of the situation. Again, I say, a bunch of clowns, and for those that no my posting history, I'd like to think I'm pretty even keel by and large.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
What a joke this franchise is:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...028-column.html

That is absurd and just ridiculous.

Again, Arians had an actual clue (as did the other top candidates) of reality where the Bears clearly didn't and they ended up hiring the one coach, desperate enough for a position, and out of touch of the reality that was the friendship between Rod and Lovie. The fact that Emery and others were so surprised just tells you how out of touch they were with the reality of the situation. Again, I say, a bunch of clowns, and for those that no my posting history, I'd like to think I'm pretty even keel by and large.

Im not going to disagree with you that they have made mistakes, but this is friend of a friend of a guy information. Interesting that this just now breaks when things arent going so well for the bears, a year and a half after the Trestman hire.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
Im not going to disagree with you that they have made mistakes, but this is friend of a friend of a guy information. Interesting that this just now breaks when things arent going so well for the bears, a year and a half after the Trestman hire.

Doesn't necessarily make it irrelevant information and it isn't as if what we are talking about is something new. Apparently they had Lovie do the same thing in regards to the mock press conference. It truly seems that perception is far more important than winning football games. Of course the perception I've gotten from the press conferences and our play is we aren't prepared, we don't do the little things, and we certainly don't show any sense of urgency. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that there is a brass of arrogance and a belief that everything is hunky dory and we really don't have whole scale problems to solve.

I'm telling you the more this goes, the more likely it will turn out that Trestman is a total and utter disaster as a head coach. When people were ready to annoit him, I wasn't and the same with Emery who I have always been skeptical of. One thing I will give Emery credit for, is more often then not, he seems to at least understand where our position of need are and at least try to address it, which is a step up from Angelo who seemed to ignore some of our major problem areas for some time.

All that said, I never in a million years imaged our offense would stink like it has. I did have faith in Trestman's offensive ability and even that I'm questioning at this point. He's got a small window to adjust cause the league has most certainly adjusted to our offense. And if it is in fact Jay not running the offense right, well then, either fix it or see if Claussen can, cause either way, you aren't going to get granted with a new QB to solve your problem, not when you were on board with extending Jay.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
Jimmy Claussen

Josh McCown

Jason Campbell

Caleb Hanie

Todd Collins

Rex Grossman

Kyle Orton

Brian Griese

Certainly these guys are better than Cutler.

Well, those guys plus $12 million in extra cap space...

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
Haha nice.

They traded their #1s in 2009 and 2010 to get him.

QBs available at their spots in those drafts?

Josh Freeman (if they traded up one spot)

Pat White

Tim Tebow

Jimmy Clausen