2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
Mark Trestman is paid to make guys like Matt Flynn serviceable quarterbacks similar to why McCarthy was hired in Green Bay and was able to let go of a great quarterback without missing a beat.

If he was the QB coach or O-Coordinator, maybe it would work out better. He's just not a good head coach in the NFL. He lacks leadership and the ability to get support and respect from his players.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
If he was the QB coach or O-Coordinator, maybe it would work out better. He's just not a good head coach in the NFL. He lacks leadership and the ability to get support and respect from his players.

I think these are very bold statements to make and are difficult to do so without information or quotes supporting that argument.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Orton's pretty damn serviceable and with the cap space I can at least see an argument for him. Everyone else on that list...no.

Orton has been pretty damn sexy, that's what.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Orton's pretty damn serviceable and with the cap space I can at least see an argument for him. Everyone else on that list...no.

Orton wasnt available when the Bears made the commitment to Cutler, he was still under contract with the Cowboys. Not that I think the Bears would have made that play

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Mark Trestman is paid to make guys like Matt Flynn serviceable quarterbacks similar to why McCarthy was hired in Green Bay and was able to let go of a great quarterback without missing a beat.

And they drafted a guy who turns out to be even better. If only the Bears can draft an all time great at QB.

Bears and Emery's problem has more to do with the fact that our defense and special teams are putrid and the personell moves have been bad. We missed the boat on most of our FA signings this year and even last year didn't get the impacts we expected. We also seemed to miss the boat in the evaluation of guys we brought back / opted not to replace (e.g., any of our linebackers). Those things can't be excused.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...1029-story.html

Very good article with commentary from an ex front office guy and Cowher. Very good insights and a lot of the issues are focused on roster construction. They also blast our oline.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
And they drafted a guy who turns out to be even better. If only the Bears can draft an all time great at QB.

The Bears never focused on a QB through the draft or free agency they have always been a defensive focused team.

Coaching and a scheme could make a quarterback and usually do more times than pure talent.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
The Bears never focused on a QB through the draft or free agency they have always been a defensive focused team.

Coaching and a scheme could make a quarterback and usually do more times than pure talent.

Examples?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
Examples?

Matt Flynn is the prime example sucks everywhere but Green Bay

Alex Smith sucked until harbaugh took over

Anyone that played on the Patriots the last 15 years including Tom Brady

Kevin Kolb or most guys that played under Andy Reid

If you think that coaching has nothing to do with developing quarterbacks we will have to agreed to disagree. I personally thinking coaching and scheme has as much to do with a quarterbacks success as talent alone. If Mark Trestman is to be thought of as an offensive coach then the offense should shine under him....especially with the talent that is there now.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Bears and Emery's problem has more to do with the fact that our defense and special teams are putrid and the personell moves have been bad. We missed the boat on most of our FA signings this year and even last year didn't get the impacts we expected. We also seemed to miss the boat in the evaluation of guys we brought back / opted not to replace (e.g., any of our linebackers). Those things can't be excused.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...1029-story.html

Very good article with commentary from an ex front office guy and Cowher. Very good insights and a lot of the issues are focused on roster construction. They also blast our oline.

I disagree here. The money was pumped into the offense primarily because it's supposed to be great. If they had a top 5 offense, it could carry a below average D. I agree with the philosophy of playing young players on ST though rather than signing veteran ST lifers to play those spots. The defense is bad and injured. However, if they were playing with leads like it was designed, it wouldn't be as bad as it has been. The offense was supposed to be better and that is why the team is failing currently.

The overall problem is a lack of talent in spots though. It goes back to years and years of bad drafting. Angelo/Lovie tandem had some horrible, horrible drafts. Emery has been pretty hit or miss as well. I liked the last 2 drafts a lot on the surface. Long and Jeffery are pro bowlers. Fuller looks like a pro bowler. Sutton, Ferguson, and O'Donnell look like good picks and I was a fan of KaDeem Carey and Brock Vereen coming out. Not to mention, they added guys like Terrance Mitchell, Ahmad Dixon, and Christian Jones from waivers or UDFA. Last year, he got value in Jordan Mills and I think Bostic is fine if he's at the proper position (WLB). He probably has to hit at a higher rate than that but the only way to truly get out of the rut that they are in is by accumulating good drafts. It takes awhile and fans don't want to hear it because it's not a quick fix but it's the truth.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Matt Flynn is the prime example sucks everywhere but Green Bay

Alex Smith sucked until harbaugh took over

Anyone that played on the Patriots the last 15 years including Tom Brady

Kevin Kolb or most guys that played under Andy Reid

If you think that coaching has nothing to do with developing quarterbacks we will have to agreed to disagree. I personally thinking coaching and scheme has as much to do with a quarterbacks success as talent alone. If Mark Trestman is to be thought of as an offensive coach then the offense should shine under him....especially with the talent that is there now.

Never said the bolded. You said more often than not a scheme and coach makes a franchise QB over talent.

SO you put those QB's who were ALL replaced by more talented players in the category of franchise QB's?

I'll ignore the fact you said Tom Brady.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
I disagree here. The money was pumped into the offense primarily because it's supposed to be great. If they had a top 5 offense, it could carry a below average D. I agree with the philosophy of playing young players on ST though rather than signing veteran ST lifers to play those spots. The defense is bad and injured. However, if they were playing with leads like it was designed, it wouldn't be as bad as it has been. The offense was supposed to be better and that is why the team is failing currently.

The overall problem is a lack of talent in spots though. It goes back to years and years of bad drafting. Angelo/Lovie tandem had some horrible, horrible drafts. Emery has been pretty hit or miss as well. I liked the last 2 drafts a lot on the surface. Long and Jeffery are pro bowlers. Fuller looks like a pro bowler. Sutton, Ferguson, and O'Donnell look like good picks and I was a fan of KaDeem Carey and Brock Vereen coming out. Not to mention, they added guys like Terrance Mitchell, Ahmad Dixon, and Christian Jones from waivers or UDFA. Last year, he got value in Jordan Mills and I think Bostic is fine if he's at the proper position (WLB). He probably has to hit at a higher rate than that but the only way to truly get out of the rut that they are in is by accumulating good drafts. It takes awhile and fans don't want to hear it because it's not a quick fix but it's the truth.

Agreed. The defense honestly, hasn't been that bad, but the problem is, when they are able to get off the field, more times than not, it gets followed up by a short 3 and out or Cutler turning over the ball. They don't have the talent to continually get the ball back. They only have talent to maintain a big lead.

The offense hasn't done its job. IMO, it's on Trestman for not lighting into his QB, it's on Emery for resigning Jay to such a ridiculous deal, and it's on Jay for always acting like he's not the #1 issue.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
If we could get about 10 guys,many one interested in doing a private contest on fanduel for Soxtalk guys? $5 entry?

This is the first week I'm flat broke and can't play =(.....Because I'm a glutton for punishment I filled out a team anyway and wrote it down just to see how it would have done.

Perhaps next week though I would be interested.

@RapSheet: #Cowboys coaches expected Tony Romo to show up and talk his way in. But Romo made the call last night that he couldn’t play today, I’m told.

Jerry Jones is somewhere screaming Romo isn't tough

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
After what we saw from Weeden today, all those second guessers can politely shut the f*** up about saying he should have finished the game last week. He's terrible.

Arizona is a little better than Washington.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
After what we saw from Weeden today, all those second guessers can politely shut the f*** up about saying he should have finished the game last week. He's terrible.

You act like people think Weeden is better if all things are equal. romo has two fractures in his back.