2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
Ballard knew after 12 years here where the skeletons of this mess of a franchise were hidden and management does not want to give real power to anyone not connected to a McCaskey. If Ballard pulled out good for him.

Lmao this is such an about face for you. Before this hire all you could do was complain same ole same ole Bears don't hire anyone they don't know blah blah.

Now when they do, you act like Ballard would have been good to come in and fix it because he has been here and knows where the skeletons are and the McCaskeys want all the power.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
Bernstein has said it was more that Ballard spent too much time on organization and not enough on roster where Pace knocked it out and spent his time on roster. My problem is, no GM in the world can do it on their own. We need as many bright football people in the building as possible. Just hearing some of this stuff makes me cringe because in theory, Ballard has seen how it is done in halas and how it is done elsewhere and essentially knows what is broke in Chicago and could legitimately offer ways of fixing it. Not knocking Pace, just disappointing if it was the fact that Ballard was more negative and more pointed about what needed to change internally (in addition to roster...but maybe not as focused on roster).

Part of me says the roster is largely a work in process anyway which starts with the draft, so how much time should you really spend on it other than maybe giving your opinion of systems that you like, your general view of the players, etc, and clearly an opinion of what went wrong on the field last year. I dont' want someone coming in and making an imaginary roster or something. That is a bunch of fluff anyway.

I just picture Pace going...see I trade Cutler for Rodgers and than do this and that and bam...superbowl contender. Not really but kind of like that and McCaskey and Phillips going, oh we can get Rodgers...oh yeah that would be great.

The roster sucks that is why the GM and the head coach are gone what in depth conversation is there to have. The organization is broken and has been since Sid Luckman retired, someone fixing the organization as whole is what is needed.

This pick seems decent.

Hope mama is happy.

Gabriel may have helped prepare Ballard for the interview as they have a long history and I suppose would have spoken to Ballard soon after the interview.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Lmao this is such an about face for you. Before this hire all you could do was complain same ole same ole Bears don't hire anyone they don't know blah blah.

Now when they do, you act like Ballard would have been good to come in and fix it because he has been here and knows where the skeletons are and the McCaskeys want all the power.

Yeah, I thought you wanted someone from the outside.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)

I never said Ballard was good at the end of the day Phillips and McCaskey are still in the same spot. Nothing has changed my mind on that. It is same old Bears If they gave a s*** Ted Phillips would not be team President.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
I fully expected that. I think Emery did as well as did Angelo (until Lovie received his extention at which point Lovie got more control and coincidentally, Angelo started to struggle).

It's not even a secret anymore that Lovie had a heavy hand in drafting after the super bowl and it led to the Afalavas and Okwos. Ultimately Angelo makes the pick and it goes on his record, but I absolutely agree that Lovies new contract and subsequent draft failures are not coincidental

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
I never said Ballard was good at the end of the day Phillips and McCaskey are still in the same spot. Nothing has changed my mind on that. It is same old Bears If they gave a s*** Ted Phillips would not be team President.

If they want to go about changing things Phillips will go the way of Crane Kenny. I am hoping after the GM and coach are in place that is what happens. George - GM- Coach.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
It's not even a secret anymore that Lovie had a heavy hand in drafting after the super bowl and it led to the Afalavas and Okwos. Ultimately Angelo makes the pick and it goes on his record, but I absolutely agree that Lovies new contract and subsequent draft failures are not coincidental

And pre that, Angelo had built one hell of a football team (well Angelo the drafter and Lovie the coach). Once that changed, things went downhill and pretty quickly.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
If they want to go about changing things Phillips will go the way of Crane Kenny. I am hoping after the GM and coach are in place that is what happens. George - GM- Coach.

Bernstein and Hub both keep insisting that this is the case, he will quietly slide out of any football role in the next few months

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)

Yea this is totally a same old Bears move.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
Bernstein and Hub both keep insisting that this is the case, he will quietly slide out of any football role in the next few months

Why couldnt he have slid out of any football role before the search?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)

I hope that is true because that is the only way things will ever change at Halas Hall.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)

ALL THE SAFETIES! !!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)

Does anyone really think that Emery didn't have full control? Just curious, cause I absolutely think Emery was fully in charge. I think the only real thing that changed this year is that they fully admitted it and took much more insights from real NFL consultants.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Why couldnt he have slid out of any football role before the search?

I don't think he ever really had a football role, other than involvement in the GM. I think this time they realized George was going to be much more involved and they were going to hire a football consultant to help and really drive the process home and it sounds like George and Ernie liked pace (Ernie recommending and George being blown away).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
Does anyone really think that Emery didn't have full control? Just curious, cause I absolutely think Emery was fully in charge. I think the only real thing that changed this year is that they fully admitted it and took much more insights from real NFL consultants.

I absolutely believe he had full control. Say what you want about Phillips in a personnel hiring capacity, but I seriously doubt he would have preferred Emery throwing around money like he did, and if he had his say it probably would have been a touch bit more conservative

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
I really admire what the Chiefs have accomplished the past two years without an elite QB. I also think the Chiefs are a team that has a lot more overall talent than say the Saints.

I realize that Alex Smith doesn't throw it down field very often, and I won't argue that he's elite, but how many teams would prefer to have or would be a much better team with Alex Smith as their QB? There are very few guys you can call elite, even if you want to stretch the definition to include a guy like, say, Philip Rivers or Matthew Stafford.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
I realize that Alex Smith doesn't throw it down field very often, and I won't argue that he's elite, but how many teams would prefer to have or would be a much better team with Alex Smith as their QB? There are very few guys you can call elite, even if you want to stretch the definition to include a guy like, say, Philip Rivers or Matthew Stafford.

He is a good QB. I am actually a pretty big Alex Smith fan, but to do what they have done with such limited WR play is pretty impressive.