2014 International Signing Period

Boopa1219

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
I thought they are implementing the draft but not until like 2016? I could be wrong.

How soon can we expect Tomas to sign?

Months, at least. He still has to declare residency, get residency, and be cleared by OFAC.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
Isn't he about a month or two ahead of his pace?

I think, but I also think that there is little incentive for a team to sign him at the end of August or early September because he would not likely be able to contribute this season anyway, so I think they will move the negotiations back to when teams aren't worried about tweaking their rosters for the stretch run and also have a better idea of what financial commitments that they will have in place for next season. You would hate to not be able to make a move to put your team over top because you just threw some money at a guy that can't help you until at least next season.

Things aren't looking great for the Sox to land any of the top players. There are quite a few teams that are going to go over their allotment and accept the penalties. The Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Brewers, and possibly Blue Jays.

Four of BA's top 10 are expected to sign with the Yankees, BA says that Ynoa is choosing between the Twins and Red Sox now. The Sox are still in on Alfaro, but his scouting profile sounds a lot more like Miguel Gonzalez than his brother Jorge. I think the Sox are back to a point where they are going to have a tough time competing in the international market until the draft is put in place, as JR is loathe to bust through the spending limits.

The good news is that the Sox will probably stock up on more mid-level guys and being at such a young age, many of them could take big leaps forward. The Sox will also likely have some money to make a run at some of the ML ready international FA's like Yasmani Tomas.

I have to be honest, and this is going to sound odd, but... I am not sure there is much value in trying to land 1 or 2 $1M+ guys anyway, and it might be better to get 5 or 6 guys in the 250k-500k range. These are 16 year olds we are talking about here, and this is a HUGE gamble, much more so than the draft. Spreading your bets seems like the smart move to me. Spending more overall is good, but I am not going to be upset if they don't get any of the top 5 guys.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
I have to be honest, and this is going to sound odd, but... I am not sure there is much value in trying to land 1 or 2 $1M+ guys anyway, and it might be better to get 5 or 6 guys in the 250k-500k range. These are 16 year olds we are talking about here, and this is a HUGE gamble, much more so than the draft. Spreading your bets seems like the smart move to me. Spending more overall is good, but I am not going to be upset if they don't get any of the top 5 guys.

Don't the Sox have $4.6M to work with? With that budget, I think it's a huge fail if you don't get one of the top guys, because you'd still have plenty of money to toss around on half a dozen of guys in the $250 to $500k range.

I'm starting to get a little worried that the Sox did not plan for teams like the Yankees to go way over their allotments and have failed to adjust their strategy before it was too late. I guess we'll see soon enough.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 05:22 PM)
Don't the Sox have $4.6M to work with? With that budget, I think it's a huge fail if you don't get one of the top guys, because you'd still have plenty of money to toss around on half a dozen of guys in the $250 to $500k range.

I'm starting to get a little worried that the Sox did not plan for teams like the Yankees to go way over their allotments and have failed to adjust their strategy before it was too late. I guess we'll see soon enough.

I mean there is nothing the Sox can do about the Yankees. The overage tax on the Yankees does not nearly deter them like it does most other teams because of relative revenues. $10 million in overage penalties affects the Sox WAY MORE than it does the Yankees. Rick Hahn is among the smartest guys in the games, if he thinks it would be worth it to go over the bonus caps by at most 5%, I have no doubt he has the freedom to do so as long as the money + tax for going over the cap is taken out somewhere else (most likely the ML team).

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
I mean there is nothing the Sox can do about the Yankees. The overage tax on the Yankees does not nearly deter them like it does most other teams because of relative revenues. $10 million in overage penalties affects the Sox WAY MORE than it does the Yankees. Rick Hahn is among the smartest guys in the games, if he thinks it would be worth it to go over the bonus caps by at most 5%, I have no doubt he has the freedom to do so as long as the money + tax for going over the cap is taken out somewhere else (most likely the ML team).

Let me rephrase, if you think there is only so much budget to go around and only so many prospects to spend it on, the Sox (or any team with a large allotment) could in theory wait for other teams/players to pair up and then grab the best remaining prospects at discounted prices. However, if teams like Yankees completely ignore their budgets and grab more players than they should have been able to grab in the first place then that strategy won't work.

I have no idea if this was their plan or not, but the fact we have one of the largest budgets and don't have direct links to any significant prospects right before the signing date suggests something may have gone wrong with their plan.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
They have to rework the rules, it's ridiculous how a team can just blow their budget one year and then take the next year off, ad finitum. Presume a fix will be in the next CBA.

White Sox could play by the same rules. They choose not to. Would you rather spend $10 million on the INTL. Market or spend the money on the ML team during a rebuild? Gimme the 16 years olds.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
They have to rework the rules, it's ridiculous how a team can just blow their budget one year and then take the next year off, ad finitum. Presume a fix will be in the next CBA.

There will be an international draft in the not too distant future, but until then we'll have to suffer through high revenue teams like the Yankees playing the system unfortunately. It completely makes sense why the Yankees are doing this, just sucks that they're doing it for the first time when we have a huge bonus allotment.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:25 PM)
There will be an international draft in the not too distant future, but until then we'll have to suffer through high revenue teams like the Yankees playing the system unfortunately. It completely makes sense why the Yankees are doing this, just sucks that they're doing it for the first time when we have a huge bonus allotment.

An international draft is a terrible idea. I love how success is determined in the INTL by who can scout talent better, I believe that Starlin Castro was signed for $ 50,000. He was an under the radar prospect that the Cubs found and developed into a superstar. An international draft would completely kill that competitive nature in my opinon.

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 9m

Two more years until MLB teams can sign players born in the year 2000, in case you were wondering when I plan to retire.

Reply 9 Retweet 4 Favorite

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 6m

@BenBadler How is it that White Sox have so much $$ to spend, but aren't linked to any of the big names on INTl Market?

Reply Retweet Favorite Delete

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 4m

@JamesFox917 I've tied them to multiple guys already.

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 3m

@BenBadler I saw Ynoa as possible, a SS, and Alfaro. Just not the supposed top 10-15 types. So they should do a decent job, then?

This was my convo with Badler. Have Sox been linked to anyone other than those 3 guys?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:50 PM)
An international draft is a terrible idea. I love how success is determined in the INTL by who can scout talent better, I believe that Starlin Castro was signed for $ 50,000. He was an under the radar prospect that the Cubs found and developed into a superstar. An international draft would completely kill that competitive nature in my opinon.

I'm not sure how it will kill that nature. The draft is all about scouting now under the new CBA, an international draft will just be an extension of that. The only difference will be that big market teams can't use their excess revenues to simply outspend the competition like the Yankees are currently doing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 9m

Two more years until MLB teams can sign players born in the year 2000, in case you were wondering when I plan to retire.

Reply 9 Retweet 4 Favorite

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 6m

@BenBadler How is it that White Sox have so much $$ to spend, but aren't linked to any of the big names on INTl Market?

Reply Retweet Favorite Delete

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 4m

@JamesFox917 I've tied them to multiple guys already.

James Fox ‏@JamesFox917 3m

@BenBadler I saw Ynoa as possible, a SS, and Alfaro. Just not the supposed top 10-15 types. So they should do a decent job, then?

This was my convo with Badler. Have Sox been linked to anyone other than those 3 guys?

Those are the names I've seen. Let us know if he responds to that last question.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
I'm not sure how it will kill that nature. The draft is all about scouting now under the new CBA, an international draft will just be an extension of that. The only difference will be that big market teams can't use their excess revenues to simply outspend the competition like the Yankees are currently doing.

Exactly. Nothing will replace good scouting.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:50 PM)

If only that were how it truly works. There is a lot shadier side to what goes on with the handlers for these prospects and the deals that are made with them to steer their prospects to certain teams. Players are drafted based on their scouting reports, so I am not sure how that undermines the scouting process. What it would kill is all of the backroom deals that are going on to make special deals, it would kill the innate disadvantage that teams that operate within the rules currently have.