2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

He is not awesome. This coming from a Marquette grad of course. I was once mentioned by him in an article after a game. He said "that [jerk] who hit me with a seat cushion from the student section after the game should have been ejected." It was a great frisbee toss from 40 feet away.

He is very awesome, and you should have gone to jail for assault.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Drives me nuts how Ortiz's steroid use has been nearly completely swept under the rug and nobody seems to care. He failed a test the same way and time that Sosa did and Sosa is viewed as a villain. (And I am in no way defending Sosa)

This is the difference in treating people like crap, and being a nice guy. Ortiz got swept under the rug because he didnt go hollywood like Sammy

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
He is very awesome, and you should have gone to jail for assault.

Probably but with 20 of them flying it was difficult to determine where it came from. It wasn't the greatest idea for a promotion with that rivalry.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
This is the difference in treating people like crap, and being a nice guy. Ortiz got swept under the rug because he didnt go hollywood like Sammy

Also the difference in admitting it and dealing with the punishment. Fans will forgive if you come clean.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Also the difference in admitting it and dealing with the punishment. Fans will forgive if you come clean.

The only thing he admitted though was the fact that he was on the 2003 list. He still denies ever taking any PEDs.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
The only thing he admitted though was the fact that he was on the 2003 list. He still denies ever taking any PEDs.

Ok, my fault. I thought he admitted that he was on them because of the list.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
He said he might have gotten a banned substance unknowingly via a shake in the D.R.

Besides, he has never shown any signs of roid-rage.

Ah yes. The good ol' "I didn't know what I took and I'm sorry for it" defense.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
Ah yes. The good ol' "I didn't know what I took and I'm sorry for it" defense.

Everyone who's been caught has used some version of the "I got it at GNC" excuse, at least initially. Boilerplate.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
Everyone who's been caught has used some version of the "I got it at GNC" excuse, at least initially. Boilerplate.

Occasionally, it's true. But not often. Jim Miller from the Bears is one.

Starting like Davis and Upton last year this time.

The DBacks line-up isn't so strong that they won't just start pitching around him...although there's also Goldschmidt in the middle.

Belt just hit his fourth tonight. Off to a fast start. Don't think he would be easy at all to pry away from the Giants.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)

I find it a bit difficult to be sympathetic to the union, considering the fact that the money is guaranteed.

Additionally, I find it interesting that the article really makes no mention of how odd the service time arrangement is to begin with, but tries to poke all kinds of holes in club options. Just seems like they are missing the real issue here...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
I find it a bit difficult to be sympathetic to the union, considering the fact that the money is guaranteed.

Additionally, I find it interesting that the article really makes no mention of how odd the service time arrangement is to begin with, but tries to poke all kinds of holes in club options. Just seems like they are missing the real issue here...

I agree. I don't see the union giving Ricky Romero & Jose Tabata's money back. There is something to be said for lifetime financial security at the expense of future earnings in a sport where injuries happen often.

I've always thought the same thing about service time in MLB, especially given how much time some players spend in the minors. You have zero choice of leaving an organization for 7-10 years.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)

It obviously read like an agent wrote the article.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
It obviously read like an agent wrote the article.

"Donut Contract" in agent-speak is "Security Contract" in reality-speak. I'll continue to use the latter term.