2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
It's wrong, but just based on how Bryce Harper looks now, I want him to get hurt and flame out before he's 30.

for some reason i just dont like harper or trout. maybe im just a "hater"? lol idk. i think i dislike trout more though

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 3m

Sources: Free-agent RHP Ervin Santana considering a change of agents. Currently represented by Bean Stringfellow of Proformance.

Yeah, if my agent was a string bean I'd be looking to make a change as well.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 06:56 AM)

Or, if i started the offseason thinking 4/100 and halfway through spring training I still have no team, then I would change my agent too.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 05:56 AM)

I read he's now considering the other Stringfellow brothers, Shoe, Silly & Cheese.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)

Sources: Free-agent RHP Ervin Santana considering a change of agents. Currently represented by Bean Stringfellow of Proformance.

But he makes teams contenders.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)

That's a name we should be talking about more. He makes so much sense for a team like the White Sox to sign. :shades

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
The truly great thing about this is that ES will be a FA again next year, most likely, so the fabulous debate can rage all year.

If we don't have an obvious guy step up and take the 5th starter spot, then we can sign him next offseason and have saved $14 million in the process.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
Jon Heyman saying Santana in talks with Blue Jays, Orioles, and 1 NL team.

It sounds like it will be Toronto. Why would a team like that give up a draft pick for 1 year of Santana? It's bad business for a team that isn't making the playoffs.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
It sounds like it will be Toronto. Why would a team like that give up a draft pick for 1 year of Santana? It's bad business for a team that isn't making the playoffs.

They're losing the 9th pick in the 2nd round, so that's even less than we'd have had to give up, and to some degree they do have a roster that "if things work out" could make some noise potentially. I probably wouldn't have done it either though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
If we don't have an obvious guy step up and take the 5th starter spot, then we can sign him next offseason and have saved $14 million in the process.

It's one more guy in the market, which should slightly help overall costs for whoever we possibly target.

Don't think there will be as many FA's in general available, next year and beyond, as I'd hoped. The trend is to stay put and sign long term deals. Draft and Intl. stuff will be all the more important for acquiring key talent.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen