2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
They're losing the 9th pick in the 2nd round, so that's even less than we'd have had to give up, and to some degree they do have a roster that "if things work out" could make some noise potentially. I probably wouldn't have done it either though.

Also it looks like the Jays have 2 first round picks this year thanks to not signing a guy last year. I have no idea how that fits into bonus considerations but it seems important to note.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
They're losing the 9th pick in the 2nd round, so that's even less than we'd have had to give up, and to some degree they do have a roster that "if things work out" could make some noise potentially. I probably wouldn't have done it either though.

That's the second least valuable draft pick that can be lost. But we hear it's a deep draft. Our high second rd pick could be a stud, if we're smart.

It will be verrrrvy interesting in late September how the lineups are made if the Sox are teetering somewhere between the 9th and 12th worst records in baseball. Last season, the 10th worst team was in a tie with 74 wins. An 11 game improvement, or thereabouts, for this team is a very plausible scenario, putting us in that conundrum of wanting to stay 10 worst. I believe we'll have a "tiebreaker" against all teams except the Stros and Fish

Hoping we blow away the projections and prepare to eat whatever draft picks necessary next year after a successful campaign, however.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
Also it looks like the Jays have 2 first round picks this year thanks to not signing a guy last year. I have no idea how that fits into bonus considerations but it seems important to note.

They do have 2 first rounders. It shouldn't matter though. I was against teams giving up a draft pick for a 4 year deal for Santana. Getting him for 1 year is even worse. Toronto isn't going anywhere. When your team relies on Jose Reyes to stay healthy, you are generally in a bad spot. My guess is that they will spinning Santana at the deadline after they are out of contention.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 2h

Sources: Ervin Santana's team could come down to performance-bonus money. Jays offering none. Orioles could match $14M deal, add incentives.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 2h

As others have reported, just heard Ervin Santana still talking to #bluejays and #orioles. Nothing final yet. #wheelsup.

Blue Jays are probably telling themselves that if Santana doesn't get them what they want, they can get a better pick by offering QO after season or improve upon the lost pick by trading at deadline.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
Blue Jays are probably telling themselves that if Santana doesn't get them what they want, they can get a better pick by offering QO after season or improve upon the lost pick by trading at deadline.

Unless he puts up another 5.00 era type season, then they paid $14 million to lose a pick and slot space.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 05:22 PM)
Unless he puts up another 5.00 era type season, then they paid $14 million to lose a pick and slot space.

They have 2 first round picks and a veteran roster in need of another starter. Maybe he has a bad season, and they are out the 50th pick. Maybe he has a good season, helps them win and turns that 50th pick into one in the 30s next year.

I am still trying to figure out when these picks are sure things. IMO, there is a far better chance Santana helps the Blue Jays win than that pick, and Rogers Communications probably won't have to file for bankruptcy because of this contract.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)

And if they pick they lose is really the 50th, then I think it's a smart signing by the Blue Jays. What are the odds the 50th pick even makes the majors? While they need everything to go right to compete in that division, it's worth the risk given their current position. They do have talent on the roster, but if it all falls apart there is no long-term risk payroll wise.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 11:28 PM)
And if they pick they lose is really the 50th, then I think it's a smart signing by the Blue Jays. What are the odds the 50th pick even makes the majors? While they need everything to go right to compete in that division, it's worth the risk given their current position. They do have talent on the roster, but if it all falls apart there is no long-term risk payroll wise.

50th pick is quite valuable, but they'll do better if they give him QO and he walks/they trade him at the deadline. So long as he stays healthy and doesn't completely implode, they might be able to do well here, talent-wise. $14M is $14M, of course

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 11:28 PM)

It's not just the pick, it's the slot money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 06:16 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 2h

#padres were another team that tried for cuban infielder aldemys diaz. signed with #STLCards, as @BNightengale reported

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1h

aledmys diaz (cuban infielder) deal with #STLCards is $8M, 4 yrs, via @dgoold

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
That only really makes a difference if you underslot that pick and use the money elsewhere.

Precisely. Which is why if you argue that that pick isn't likely to work out anyway, you can pick a lesser guy there to pick a better guy earlier.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Precisely. Which is why if you argue that that pick isn't likely to work out anyway, you can pick a lesser guy there to pick a better guy earlier.

Or you can say it's worth it to gamble on either 1. trading for a better prospect at the deadline or 2. getting a higher compensatory pick in the following offseason

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3209872.story

Sports Network

12:06 p.m. CDT, March 11, 2014

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Atlanta Braves right-hander Kris Medlen has been diagnosed with an injured ligament in his pitching elbow.

Medlen underwent an MRI after leaving Sunday's spring training outing and the diagnosis for a return is uncertain at this point. The 28-year-old had Tommy John surgery on the same elbow in August 2010 and missed most of the following season recovering from the procedure.

"His MRI showed injury to the ligament, but don't yet know the extent," said Braves general manager Frank Wren, who added that MRIs can be inconclusive when a player has had a previous Tommy John surgery.

"A diagnosis would be premature at this point," Wren added. "He will undergo further tests until we seek a second opinion."