Sox make more roster moves

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
Danks did not deserve to be sent down. Hopefully, two of Dunn, De Aza, and Viciedo are gone in the next week.

Dunn can still hit home runs but I won't be too upset if he goes to another team. There is no way he fits in the Sox future plans. But, who is going to take him and what do we get in return? On the other two I don't see any reason to put the hate of them. I see De Aza as being more productive than Viciedo, but maybe 2014 is Dayan's year to bust out?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
It'd be great if Danks became a solid regular OF'er. I don't think he will be one on a contending team but he has seemed to have slowly gotten better and better and I think he has become a very good 4th OF in the majors. He has some power, has some speed and plays plus defense at all 3 positions. He deserves at least a 4th OF role right now but our current roster situation prohibits that right now with this team. He'll be back up eventually and hopefully he proves most people wrong and can become an even more important contributor down the road. Either way, I think he's show enough where he will have a several years making millions of dollars as a MLB bench player.

I agree w this statement. Subtract De Aza and let Danks start 3 games a week in all 3 OF positions. Just need to get a decent C for De Aza.

QUOTE (Brentmd2 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
I agree w this statement. Subtract De Aza and let Danks start 3 games a week in all 3 OF positions. Just need to get a decent C for De Aza.

Seems like a decent catcher and leadoff hitter are 2 highly prized commodities in MLB. Now that we have Eaton DeAza and DeAza's below average play at the #1 spot and lack of defensive prowess has made him expendable. A leadoff hitter is not all that common. He may very well do well with a different role on a different team he could be a lh off the benchf for a national league team. Maybe they have a catcher we could use.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
Seems like a decent catcher and leadoff hitter are 2 highly prized commodities in MLB. Now that we have Eaton DeAza and DeAza's below average play at the #1 spot and lack of defensive prowess has made him expendable. A leadoff hitter is not all that common. He may very well do well with a different role on a different team he could be a lh off the benchf for a national league team. Maybe they have a catcher we could use.

Look, we're not going to be a major league quality catcher for De Aza unless we target guys at the low/mid A-ball level that are multiple years away. We're just not going to. Apparently they're willing to run him out there as a backup, I would not have been, but they've made their call. I'd personally have taken "best available offer" eitehr right before training camp started or right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
Look, we're not going to be a major league quality catcher for De Aza unless we target guys at the low/mid A-ball level that are multiple years away. We're just not going to. Apparently they're willing to run him out there as a backup, I would not have been, but they've made their call. I'd personally have taken "best available offer" eitehr right before training camp started or right now.

Keeping DeAza and Konerko are definitely the two most puzzling moves of the offseason.

Hopefully some team will need an outfielder in the first half of the season and come calling.

If they're only going to play Viciedo against LHP, it's pointless to have him on the roster, since he hit better against RHP last year and there's going to be no fair way to gauge what he could do in a full year of everyday play if he only plays everyday for 3+ months of the season (and especially considering September can make stars out of Josh Fields or Brent Morel).

Has Ventura mentioned anything about how he's planning to split time there?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)

Concur

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
I just saw that Addison Reed was lights out in his first appearance for Arizona. Meanwhile, Davidson gets sent down because he can't beat out Conor Gillespie.

Not exactly, but you know that already. I'm a horrid sarcasm detector.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
I just saw that Addison Reed was lights out in his first appearance for Arizona. Meanwhile, Davidson gets sent down because he can't beat out Conor Gillespie.

That's rather shortsighted. Davidson had just as good a spring as Conor but we do need some lefthanded hitters and Davidson is young and has to work on his defense. No sense starting his arbitration clock now. The Sox have to create some tradeable assets. Gillaspie could become one of those. He's a patient hitter with a nice swing and some pop.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
What about Andy Wilkins?

I hear ya, but his fate has been sealed for a bit now it seems. I get the Konerko re-signing, but this roster a week before the opener is a mess for a team that is rebuilding. Guys like Danks and Wilkins are guys they should be finding AB's for. Instead they want to keep Dunn in an attempt to save an insignificant amount of dollars.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
I hear ya, but his fate has been sealed for a bit now it seems. I get the Konerko re-signing, but this roster a week before the opener is a mess for a team that is rebuilding. Guys like Danks and Wilkins are guys they should be finding AB's for. Instead they want to keep Dunn in an attempt to save an insignificant amount of dollars.

Andy Wilkins reached Charlotte last year for the first time and put up a .735 OPS in 234 PA's. There should have been no foreseeable circumstance through which Andy Wilkins should have been able to hit his way into a big league roster position during spring training in 2014. The only reason a guy like him should wind up on any big league roster is multiple injuries at a single position amongst both the starter and backup options, neither of which happened for the White Sox.

If he had a good spring it could be a positive sign and perhaps he will be able to earn himself a shot at the bigs during the first half. Wilkins at Charlotte starting at 1b is right where he belongs and there is simply no rational person who could say otherwise.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)

I was kinda joking, pointing out that numbers put up in an extremely insignificant number of at bats in March in Arizona are meaningless. Andy Wilkins has half a season of AAA under his belt where he put up a .735 OPS. Adam Dunn is 4th in MLB in home runs over the last 2 seasons.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)

That's one of the pillars of rebuilding. We clearly have very different ideas about what that word means. I don't think the patience will be long with Adam, if he gets out of the gate slowly.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
That's one of the pillars of rebuilding. We clearly have very different ideas about what that word means. I don't think the patience will be long with Adam, if he gets out of the gate slowly.

Pillars, no, but you don't think this team has room for a 24 y.o. left-handed hitter that put up a .350 obp last year?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
I was kinda joking, pointing out that numbers put up in an extremely insignificant number of at bats in March in Arizona are meaningless. Andy Wilkins has half a season of AAA under his belt where he put up a .735 OPS. Adam Dunn is 4th in MLB in home runs over the last 2 seasons.

Wilkins has more value to this team going forward than Dunn does.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
Wilkins has more value to this team going forward than Dunn does.

Which is why he should be playing every day at Charlotte to see if his value going forward can be turned into something non-zero. And any situation that has a 1b jumping from putting up a .735 OPS at Charlotte to starting at the big leagues is a bald-faced attempt to screw up the team and the player long-term.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
Which is why he should be playing every day at Charlotte to see if his value going forward can be turned into something non-zero. And any situation that has a 1b jumping from putting up a .735 OPS at Charlotte to starting at the big leagues is a bald-faced attempt to screw up the team and the player long-term.

Wilkins is 24 y.o. whether he was on the OD day roster or is brought up in July, it's immaterial to his development.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
Pillars, no, but you don't think this team has room for a 24 y.o. left-handed hitter that put up a .350 obp last year?

He'll get his chance soon enough. Have some faith, Hahn is smart.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
Andy Wilkins's OBP at Charlotte was .312.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
You have truly reached a new low.

You were saying...

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
I see his overall OBP as .353, is that incorrect?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)
I see his overall OBP as .353, is that incorrect?

No. However, you don't understand how baseball works. You see, there are different levels in baseball. There is such a thing known as "minor leagues" where a combination of young players and guys who aren't good enough to play in the big leagues play baseball games during the year.

A typical baseball organization will have 6-7 different levels including 1 big league team and 5-6 "minor league teams". These minor league teams are given different names based on their skill levels.

The lowest level teams are Rookie ball and "A" ball. At higher levels are AA and AAA ball.

Guys who perform well at one level will often move up to a more difficult level. Thus, if you see a guy like Andy Wilkins who puts up a .380+ OBP at AA ball and .312 at AAA during the same season...those numbers should be broken apart because the 2nd number was performed against higher level talent.

You should attempt to familiarize yourself with how minor league systems are structured before commenting. Very few people who are at AA ball and perform worse during their first visit to AAA ball will immediately start playing better in the big leagues than they did at AAA ball.

Major league baseball talent is much, much better than AAA level talent and MUCH MUCH better than AA level talent. Therefore you should not project that a guy who put up a .312 OBP at AAA will put up a .350 OBP at a big league level until he takes a step forward at AAA.