Jose Quintana extened thru 2018 - 5 yrs, $21.5 or $26.5 mill

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
so apparently no one is worried about Q's spring training numbers...? i think it's a good signing, but i hope Hahn didn't jump the gun a year early on this one.

Apparently his release point was off, and Coop caught it. Quintana faced the minimum yesterday in 5 innings. I think he'll be ok.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so apparently no one is worried about Q's spring training numbers...? i think it's a good signing, but i hope Hahn didn't jump the gun a year early on this one.

Velocity is there. That' the number you care most about in Spring Training. If he were throwing 86-88, the Sox would have been far more cautious.

It's honestly just best all around to not put any stock into Spring numbers ever ever ever.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
This gives Jose a hell of a lot of room for regression/injury/etc, too. To earn this contract, he doesn't have to be nearly as good as he has been.

this was kind of my thinking when i said maybe Hahn jumped the gun putting an extension in front of Q a year early...

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
I like the deal and wouldn't complain, but I will point out that this kind of deal does not come without risk. If Quintana suffers a career-ending or career-damaging injury, or just flat out starts to suck, the Sox are on the hook for the entire contract anyway.

All contracts come with a risk factor these days. I hate to say it but Dunn is a perfect example. We could easily sit here and say the same about Sale too. I would rather take the chance on a 25 yo pitcher than a thirty something yo with more wear and tear on his arm.

Spring training are the key words here. Q looked pretty good against the rockies yesterday, more like what were used to seeing.

All contracts come with a risk factor these days. I hate to say it but Dunn is a perfect example. We could easily sit here and say the same about Sale too. I would rather take the chance on a 25 yo pitcher than a thirty something yo with more wear and tear on his arm.

Oh, I would take the chance as well--just pointing out that there is some risk involved.

I'm 100% for this -- this was on my personal offseason wishlist. I thought it'd be a bit more money though, I wonder if his garbage spring brought the price down a bit.

I doubt ST performance affected anything. This sounds like a rather complex contract so they would have to have been working on this for a while.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 54m

Rick Hahn took blame for Quintana's 9-run start. Physical was 2 days later. Hahn: "I should send refunds to whoever attended that game."

Rick Hahn calls this victory for #WhiteSox org. Compliments scouts who found Jose Quintana in Yankees system. Thought he could adapt.

Were you worried with Kershaw's spring training numbers? Had an ERA up over 9....

I'm super impressed with Hahn. Not just what he has done externally, bringing people in, but internally as well. This is an amazing deal for the club and Quintana gets financial security for himself. I haven't been this excited about the future of the franchise since right after we won back in 2005.