Jose Quintana extened thru 2018 - 5 yrs, $21.5 or $26.5 mill

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
Honestly if I was a young pitcher who is already successful I'm not sure I could pass down a team friendly deal in hopes of a huge FA payday. That is such a huge risk that a freak baseball to the elbow even will cut your value to nothing.

Big difference between a guy 1 year from FA and a guy 5 years away. That's why the Sox got Sale and Quintana; they could get hurt tomorrow and still leave baseball with tens of millions of dollars.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
Big difference between a guy 1 year from FA and a guy 5 years away. That's why the Sox got Sale and Quintana; they could get hurt tomorrow and still leave baseball with tens of millions of dollars.

Well, about $100 million in difference to be exact.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
Honestly if I was a young pitcher who is already successful I'm not sure I could pass down a team friendly deal in hopes of a huge FA payday. That is such a huge risk that a freak baseball to the elbow even will cut your value to nothing.

Your living in the 50's. These players all have big time agents. Do you actually think their agent is advising them to take a huge risk and blow their own cut???? They all have special policies that in the case of injury their income is protected for life. Once they sign the mega deal they drop the policy. It is why colleges are able to get a one and done player a policy to protect them until they make it to the NBA.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
Your living in the 50's. These players all have big time agents. Do you actually think their agent is advising them to take a huge risk and blow their own cut???? They all have special policies that in the case of injury their income is protected for life. Once they sign the mega deal they drop the policy. It is why colleges are able to get a one and done player a policy to protect them until they make it to the NBA.

Agents = $$$

Insurance = $$$

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)

I am pretty sure colleges don't do that. Either the player or his family has to take out the policy.

I think Scherzer is dumb too. If he regresses at all or is just unlucky in general, he's costing himself tens of millions of dollars.

Scherzer goes out there, loses a MPH on his fastball, puts up an ERA/FIP of 3.85/3.40, but everything else remains virtually unchanged, does anyone believe he is still going to get a 7 or 8 year deal worth $25 million per?

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 45m

As I was talking to Quintana about his contract extension, he pinched his arm a couple of times and said he can't believe this is real

Quintana said there was no talk about the extension until ST, but even that surprised him. He thought it would come after '14 season

Genuinely likeable kid. And genuinely happy to have this sort of financial security.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
I think Scherzer is dumb too. If he regresses at all or is just unlucky in general, he's costing himself tens of millions of dollars.

Scherzer goes out there, loses a MPH on his fastball, puts up an ERA/FIP of 3.85/3.40, but everything else remains virtually unchanged, does anyone believe he is still going to get a 7 or 8 year deal worth $25 million per?

Do the Dodgers and Yankees still exist?

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Do the Dodgers and Yankees still exist?

The Yankees would be more relevant in this situation than the Dodgers, but if he's coming off that season, he's likely looking at something closer to $17-20 mill per opposed to $24-27. Beyond that, if he's really unlucky and that UCL decides it doesn't want to remain whole the entire year, he's not getting a multi-year deal with an AAV anywhere near that.

This even makes sense for a guy who will hit free agency at 28. This does not make sense for Scherzer, who will hit FA at 30.

If he does get $25 mill per, I do not feel bad for the team who gives him a contract that is impossible for him to live up to.

Jeff Passan's Take on Why Scherzer Turned Down the Money, and Why it was the right decision

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-max-scher...-045448374.html

After Max Scherzer turned down a contract offer from the Detroit Tigers that would have made him one of the seven highest-paid pitchers in baseball, the team threw their star pitcher under the bus with a statement and called off negotiations.

Scherzer, who will be one of the top free agents after the season, rejected a 6-year, $144 million contract according to Jon Morosi of Fox Sports.

Afterwards, the Tigers released a statement placing all the blame on Scherzer.

"The Detroit Tigers have made a substantial, long-term contract extension offer to Max Scherzer that would have placed him among the highest paid pitchers in baseball," the statement reads. "And the offer was rejected."

The statement went on to say that the team wants to focus on the season and that there will be no more in-season negotiations.

At $24 million per season, the offer was comparable to other deals signed by top pitchers in recent years and only four pitchers have a higher annual average on their current contracts.

However, the offer is still way behind the $32.2 million Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw will average over the same six years.

Even if it is ridiculous to think Scherzer deserves more than $24 million per season, it was a risky move on the part of the Tigers to make such a public statement and alienating one of their best players a week before the season starts.

The statement also makes it much more likely that Scherzer will be pitching for a different team in 2015.

Edited by caulfield12

“You’ve seen the magnitude of what some of these deals have gotten to in free agency,” Hahn said. “It makes sense to try to get out in front of that sometimes, to try to get the price points locked in before the market continues to grow and not only is the risk heightened of the cost of signing the player, but quite frankly the chance the player moves on somewhere else also becomes heightened. In our opinion it makes more sense to move quickly and be proactive in these situations.”

Sale and Quintana are two centerpieces of a young core that the Sox have been trying to build since midsummer, and Sox manager Robin Ventura said Monday he is happy the duo will be around for a while. Hahn said the deals enable the club to focus on other needs.

“It frees us up to allocate our resources to other needs, which is beneficial, and takes a couple of other things off our to-do list, which is always nice,” Hahn said.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:44 PM)
Sale and Quintana are two centerpieces of a young core that the Sox have been trying to build since midsummer, and Sox manager Robin Ventura said Monday he is happy the duo will be around for a while. Hahn said the deals enable the club to focus on other needs.

“It frees us up to allocate our resources to other needs, which is beneficial, and takes a couple of other things off our to-do list, which is always nice,” Hahn said.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Which needs?

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
This gives Jose a hell of a lot of room for regression/injury/etc, too. To earn this contract, he doesn't have to be nearly as good as he has been.

That was my take away as well. He was a top 25 starter last year with that 3.7 WAR. He could be only 1/3 of the pitcher he was for the remainder of this deal and he would still outperform the contract.

He could realistically earn this entire deal before it's halfway over. The years of arb we bought out was moderately fair. But those 3 FA years are going to be absolute steals.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 06:32 AM)
Sherzer = the epitome of the greedy athlete.

Boras is his advisor, and I'm sure he's telling him that he could get another $50-75 million if he wins the Cy Young this season.

It's all about the fact that while it's a hell of a contract, he's still leaving a lot of money on the table if he has another year like the last two.

Of course, there's also a huge risk of injury. It's not quite like the Juan Gonzalez situation in Detroit.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
Supposedly he turned down a 6 year deal to get 8 guaranteed years. He can probably get 8 on the open market actually.

Who was the last pitcher of any age to sign an 8 year deal? CC Sabathia? I think Felix signed a 7 year extension with the M's at one point, so he was locked up at a high price for 8 years. The difference between those guys and Scherzer is that they were in their mid 20s and still getting better. Scherzer has had 1 really good season and he's going to be 30 years old next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
Who was the last pitcher of any age to sign an 8 year deal? CC Sabathia? I think Felix signed a 7 year extension with the M's at one point, so he was locked up at a high price for 8 years. The difference between those guys and Scherzer is that they were in their mid 20s and still getting better. Scherzer has had 1 really good season and he's going to be 30 years old next year.

I hear you. He's already like 30, right? It's still ridiculous but I bet he can get more.

Players know who has the biggest contracts at their position and want to win that competition as much as they want to win on the field. It's how they are wired. I believe it isn't as much about greed as it is winning.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
I hear you. He's already like 30, right? It's still ridiculous but I bet he can get more.

We also heard that Ervin Santana was going to get 6 years and $100 million. Teams are getting smarter about giving out long term contracts, especially to pitchers on the wrong side of 30.

If he stays healthy, I'm guessing he gets 6/$150 with team options that become vesting options based on games started in years 5 and/or 6 as well as incentives that can raise the AAV in each year by up to $2 mill.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
We also heard that Ervin Santana was going to get 6 years and $100 million. Teams are getting smarter about giving out long term contracts, especially to pitchers on the wrong side of 30.

If he stays healthy, I'm guessing he gets 6/$150 with team options that become vesting options based on games started in years 5 and/or 6 as well as incentives that can raise the AAV in each year by up to $2 mill.

We also heard that Choo was going to get 5/90.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
We also heard that Choo was going to get 5/90.

The difference being that he is a hitter and has better old man skills - he's always had a great eye at the plate and his game has never depended upon his power. Hitters get 8-10 year contracts all the time, and it's much easier to justify overspending on a hitter because the health risks are so much less for them.